Bentley is acting weird.....Help?

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi all! I have been keeping up on Bentley's allergy symptoms since they started last month. Basically he has been getting red and itchy on and off. I wipe him down when we come inside every time. I have also been using witch hazel. Basically I just feel so bad for my guy when he is uncomfortable!

So tonight we went on our first walk in about a month. He has been bumming around, but it has been to hot out. After we came back in I noticed he was getting red again, he also got a few bug bites too. They are small and haven't gotten any bigger.

I've been on the fence about medicating him because I clearly freak out afterwards! So anyway it has been about 2 1/2 hours since I gave him a 10mg tablet of Claritin. The vet already said I could, and I've been saving the dosage information on my fridge. Since then he has been restless/hyper? It is strange. I want to laugh at him but this is not his normal 11p.m. behavior. He never leaves my side either and he was running to our bedroom a few times to cuddle on the bed alone. I followed him and he was excited to see me. So clearly he is not in any distress, but what is the deal?!

He's sleeping now, but he keeps moving around picking a new spot to lay.
It's just freaking me out a bit......

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Maybe the Claritin is making him hyper, How you tried Benadryl? This is what I give My Elmo.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hi Krista, thank you for tagging me, sorry you are worried about Bentley.
Agree with Susan [MENTION=9802]My Otis[/MENTION], probably wired a bit from the Claritin. He
might adjust & smooth out or you could try Benedryl. Let me go back &
review your past posts instead of asking tons of questions right away.
He'll be okay tonight, give him sloppy kisses from me & a hug for you!

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Thanks friends! I tried looking at side effects. He's sleeping now. Super passed out.

He's my first bully, the newness of taking care of him can be a roller coaster. I know I worry to much sometimes but I just love him to pieces. We adopted him last August. So it has been a full year now. While I am probably over thinking it.... he was not this miserable this time last year. Then again allergies do not bother me and I contacted my doctor this spring for congestion.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks friends! I tried looking at side effects. He's sleeping now. Super passed out.

He's my first bully, the newness of taking care of him can be a roller coaster. I know I worry to much sometimes but I just love him to pieces. We adopted him last August. So it has been a full year now. While I am probably over thinking it.... he was not this miserable this time last year. Then again allergies do not bother me and I contacted my doctor this spring for congestion.

Okay, Krista (love your name & omg, you are so lovely), caught up on your
back posts & Bentley's history. You joined here while I was gone so let me
welcome you to EBN, as you've found out, a wonderful wealth of experience,
knowledge & friends (more like family). Bentley is a very lucky bully to have
been adopted by you and he is a handsome boy!

So...did you ever determine if the spot on his belly was or wasn't ringworm?

His food, how is the Fromm's Surf doing for him?

Allergies seem tougher this year for humans & pets so whether you stick with
Claritin or try Benedryl I'd keep him on daily dosage until Fall blows thru. Rick's
Pickled Paws Recipe (should be somewhere in Forum Help) uses a vinegar based
mixture, kept by door to dip paws after being out, helped allergies, cysts, etc.
It can be used 2 or 3 times before throwing out, try instead of witch hazel.

Sorry this took awhile...SOMEBULLY was needy & wouldn't let Mama post...THEN,
had to endure her licking my leg (ugh)...you had a back post on this behavior, I
laughed at all y'all & your bullies that do this, I thought Cami does it because she's
a retired breeder & I'm her pup now ;)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Sorry Krista, I'm just now reading your post. It sounds like Carol has you covered. My first suggestion would have been to try Benadryl like Susan suggested. You can give Bentley 1mg per pound of his body weight. I have given this to Winnie before for itching and it seemed to make her sleepy, if anything. I've never given Claritin, so I'm not familiar with possible side effects. You might call your vet to see if the restlessness could have been caused by the Claritin. Winnie doesn't have any allergies that I know of, so I'm not much help on that score. How is Bentley this morning?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would say that he was probably wired from going out for a walk… I know Wally goes crazy when we get home, and then crashes. Dogs like people can have odd reactions to antihistamines… some it makes tired and others it makes them WIRED. Hopefully he slept well last night.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@KristaB026
Hey Krista! I was just thinking about you & Bentley last night and meant to send you a message, so logging on to this means we must have been in sync. LOL
I wouldn't worry too much about the zoomies, like others said it can happen on different meds or just from the walk. I'd be content with zoomies, and worried when you see lethargic more than anything else. How is that boy coming along - so far so good? Also, for his bug bites if they are itching him, you can make a small batch of baking soda & water paste, and apply it the bite. This is the only thing that ever soothes fire ant bites when Tyson gets them. Works wonderfully, just use sparingly because I'll be honest when it dries, it does flake off ;) Hugs to Bentley :smoochwink:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Originally when we first gave Buster Benadryl he would do the exact same but I guess his system got used to it because he doesn't do it anymore. I hope he can find some relief and I know what you mean about over thinking it I think everyone has done that before with these guys.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hey all! We ended up at the emergency vet last night. Here is the story. So after I got off the website for a bit, Bentley was just resting. This was between 10-and 11 P.M for us I think? Then at around 2 a.m. He woke back up, so normally I got up and figured lets take a potty break in our backyard...and see how he's doing. Well, when we came back in after only a few minutes I got ready to wash him off. That when I noticed that his legs were all bumpy, and his tummy. At first I only saw three bumps on the side of his back. So after checking him over I knew that the bumps had not so much gotten bigger, but that there was more of them and these ones were like quarter size! So Mama freak out moment. I've been trying to stay on top of everything in case there is ever an emergency. Well, I looked by his neck and face and it was normal so I knew he wasn't going to have trouble breathing, But I also thought that if he has more bumps than only 2-4 hours ago what is going to happen if we stay home? So I took him in.

The claritin I gave him earlier was vet recommended and I have keep the paperwork. I was told my the er vet tonight that it is more for respiratory allergies. Which was what we had dealt with in July, Not a reverse sneeze. His lungs were checked out, everything was fine except it sounded like he had flem in is throat once in a while. SO now I know that not all allergy medicine is the same........

Anyway, they asked me if Bentley had walked through any ant areas that night. I felt so bad right away because on our way up to our yard I noticed that a patch of our grass looked really dark like it was dirt. Nope. Ants. So obviously when I checked it out, my baby boy was there with me!!!! Ugh! They gave him a stronger does of Benadryl and since it was late they sent me home with some. I would have given him some earlier when he only had a few bumps, but again I thought the claritin acted the same way. :*(

He's better today, bumps are very little and going away. He's acting like himself too. I was told to watch out for vomit and diarrhea and they want me to give him a bland diet for three days. So I donno, maybe it was an emergancy, maybe it wasn't but I wasn't going to wait around to find out.

I just mostly feel bad about it all.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Seems that you addressed what needs to be done and thing happen so don't feel bad.

Good Luck to the Bentley Man. Hope he feels so much better in no time.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Thanks Jessica! I was thinking of everyone too. I wish we could have chatted about something more fun that an ER trip. I took a long weekend vacation with my parents last week. We were in Tennessee and North Carolina. Last year we bought my dad a NASCAR racing experience package for his 50th birthday. We stopped in our favorite city, Nashville. Other than the tourist traps I also experienced Gatlinburg for the first time, ugh.... the mountains were so beautiful. :)

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey all! We ended up at the emergency vet last night. Here is the story. So after I got off the website for a bit, Bentley was just resting. This was between 10-and 11 P.M for us I think? Then at around 2 a.m. He woke back up, so normally I got up and figured lets take a potty break in our backyard...and see how he's doing. Well, when we came back in after only a few minutes I got ready to wash him off. That when I noticed that his legs were all bumpy, and his tummy. At first I only saw three bumps on the side of his back. So after checking him over I knew that the bumps had not so much gotten bigger, but that there was more of them and these ones were like quarter size! So Mama freak out moment. I've been trying to stay on top of everything in case there is ever an emergency. Well, I looked by his neck and face and it was normal so I knew he wasn't going to have trouble breathing, But I also thought that if he has more bumps than only 2-4 hours ago what is going to happen if we stay home? So I took him in.

The claritin I gave him earlier was vet recommended and I have keep the paperwork. I was told my the er vet tonight that it is more for respiratory allergies. Which was what we had dealt with in July, Not a reverse sneeze. His lungs were checked out, everything was fine except it sounded like he had flem in is throat once in a while. SO now I know that not all allergy medicine is the same........

Anyway, they asked me if Bentley had walked through any ant areas that night. I felt so bad right away because on our way up to our yard I noticed that a patch of our grass looked really dark like it was dirt. Nope. Ants. So obviously when I checked it out, my baby boy was there with me!!!! Ugh! They gave him a stronger does of Benadryl and since it was late they sent me home with some. I would have given him some earlier when he only had a few bumps, but again I thought the claritin acted the same way. :*(

He's better today, bumps are very little and going away. He's acting like himself too. I was told to watch out for vomit and diarrhea and they want me to give him a bland diet for three days. So I donno, maybe it was an emergancy, maybe it wasn't but I wasn't going to wait around to find out. I just mostly feel bad about it all.

Well...don't! My 1st bully, Brutus (in my sig. line) broke out in hives early am too
(don't they all?) and I freaked out! Was shaking so hard could barely type to EBN.
God bless them, 4 or 5 members answered right away, did not make me feel stupid,
told me how much to give & other Benedryl info. I'd never had to give it to any of the
many dogs I'd had so I was sure his throat was going to swell shut!

You just never know and yes, it could've been worse so good for you to be proactive!
Group hugs ;)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Glad you got the sweet guy taken care of. These bullies! They are not for the faint of heart, that's for sure! Give baby boy a squeeze from me.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.