Does your bully bunny hop? Hip Dysplasia?

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
So I took Achilles on walk yesterday and I met up with my girlfriend and sister in law who also have a bulldog puppy Vinny, 6 months old. When the dogs were walking next to each other I noticed Vinny's walk is very very different from Achilles. Its kind of hard to describe but you can definitely see the difference. Vinny looks like he struggles to move around like his hips are swinging A LOT from side to side, he also wants to sit or lay down every chance he gets. I know bulldogs are not the most athletic dogs out there but Vinny's energy was very low for such a young pup in my opinion. Compared to my dog, Achilles is just a monster I took him out on a 2 mile walk the other day and handled it like a champ! :yes:Now I did a little research and talked to my breeder and Vet. because I am concerned about Vinny, they both mentioned hip dysplasia so I am going to talk to my sister in law to take Vinny in for a check up. I read some of the symptoms of this disorder and "bunny hopping" came up several times. I have noticed Achilles does the bunny hop once in a while especially when he is chasing rabbits. I haven't seen any other symptoms or any sign of pain he is actually a very active dog. He loves to play, loves to run around the house, has no problem going up and down the stairs. Should I be concerned, is the bunny hop something I should worry about? :(

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I'm sorry that I can't help too much, but I can tell you that our Lucy, who is almost 8 months often hops. By hop, I mean her back legs stay together - and she does this when going up stairs, or getting on the couch (yes, we let her on the couch, lol). Also, sort of like you mention, she has a swagger when walking. However, when she gets out in the back yard, she tears around like crazy and shows no signs of any type of disorder at all. Further, she has been to the vet recently, and while we didn't mention the hopping, he is always pulling and poking around her hips and he hasn't noticed a thing. Finally, when we take her on longer walk, she does lose steam toward the end.

I wonder if some of the "hopping" might be because Lucy doesn't feel that her legs are quite long enough to complete the move separately...?

So, hopefully these things are normal for the bullies. We knew we signed up for possible health issues when we got our bulldog, but that certainly doesn't make you feel any better when something does, in fact, happen. We've already had two instances of cherry eye. Thankfully I was able to manipulate it back into place both times with no trouble (after watching a YouTube video on the process no less). The vet said afterwards when we took her in, that her eye looked ok and that may not happen again.

OP
osiris20025

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
We don't Achilles on the couch but he is a sneaky little dude, he will wait for us to leave the living room and make sure no one is watching to get on it lol

Achilles has been great so far I know he is still young but we haven't had any serious health issues so far. When he is outside in the yard, is when I notice the bunny hop, and its not all the time its just when he takes off running to chase a rabbit. When he goes up and down the stairs he does it normal and again there are no signs of pain or anything like that. The vet hasn't noticed anything strange about him either but on his next visit ill definitely let him know :)

I'm sorry that I can't help too much, but I can tell you that our Lucy, who is almost 8 months often hops. By hop, I mean her back legs stay together - and she does this when going up stairs, or getting on the couch (yes, we let her on the couch, lol). Also, sort of like you mention, she has a swagger when walking. However, when she gets out in the back yard, she tears around like crazy and shows no signs of any type of disorder at all. Further, she has been to the vet recently, and while we didn't mention the hopping, he is always pulling and poking around her hips and he hasn't noticed a thing. Finally, when we take her on longer walk, she does lose steam toward the end.

I wonder if some of the "hopping" might be because Lucy doesn't feel that her legs are quite long enough to complete the move separately...?

So, hopefully these things are normal for the bullies. We knew we signed up for possible health issues when we got our bulldog, but that certainly doesn't make you feel any better when something does, in fact, happen. We've already had two instances of cherry eye. Thankfully I was able to manipulate it back into place both times with no trouble (after watching a YouTube video on the process no less). The vet said afterwards when we took her in, that her eye looked ok and that may not happen again.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
According to OFFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals), over 70% of bulldogs have hip dysplasia. Some are so mild, the bullies may never show symptoms, others are much worse. In other words, it's very common with the breed and there's no way to to tell if your pup doesn't show symptoms unless you have them x-rayed.
Even then, the x-rays should be read by a radiologist, and not your vet.

When Blue went under for his cherry eye/palate surgery, I had them do a hip x-ray. The first vet that read it said everything looked fine, his hips were good. Then, the radiologist read it and said hip dysplasia. Because it's so mild, he may never get to the point of needing meds. we don't know yet. But so far, he's 2 1/2 and still runs around like a maniac. He will do the bunny hop when he's at full speed... lol..

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If it's the kind of bunny hop I know, it can be a sign of knee problems. If not for anything else, but for your peace of mind, I suggest that you have him checked. It may be nothing, but if it is something it's always better to find out sooner than later.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
can you possibly get video of the bunny hop you are referring to?

My girl had very bad hips, she lived to 9 and it never stopped her form doing anything, she was very active and loved to run/play. she did 'bunny-hop' the stairs (one at a time, both front paws on one step and back paws on another), but her run was a 'normal' dog run, at least to me

OP
osiris20025

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
Wow that is very interesting, like I said I really haven't noticed any pain or discomfort in Achilles other that the bunny hop which he doesn't seem to mind lol. If it gets worse or he starts showing other serious symptoms I will definitely get xrays !

According to OFFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals), over 70% of bulldogs have hip dysplasia. S
According to OFFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals), over 70% of bulldogs have hip dysplasia. Some are so mild, the bullies may never show symptoms, others are much worse. In other words, it's very common with the breed and there's no way to to tell if your pup doesn't show symptoms unless you have them x-rayed.
Even then, the x-rays should be read by a radiologist, and not your vet.

When Blue went under for his cherry eye/palate surgery, I had them do a hip x-ray. The first vet that read it said everything looked fine, his hips were good. Then, the radiologist read it and said hip dysplasia. Because it's so mild, he may never get to the point of needing meds. we don't know yet. But so far, he's 2 1/2 and still runs around like a maniac. He will do the bunny hop when he's at full speed... lol..

OP
osiris20025

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
The weather is awesome today I will try to take a video and upload it today and to see what you guys think.

Thank you everybody for the help ! :)
can you possibly get video of the bunny hop you are referring to?

My girl had very bad hips, she lived to 9 and it never stopped her form doing anything, she was very active and loved to run/play. she did 'bunny-hop' the stairs (one at a time, both front paws on one step and back paws on another), but her run was a 'normal' dog run, at least to me

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've seen bulldogs bunny hop from the time they walk, I've seen swagger and walks like a chicken.... Splayed legs and stiff legs....I don't think a walk means anything unless there is a limp or gait. Bully pups pretty commonly bunny hop when they first go outdoors and take their first good "run". Many grow out of it , but some prefer the speed.

As nycbullymama posted you can X-rays done to be sure.

More so than hip displaysia EBs are known for having very "loose hips" which is something a vet can tell by physical exam. If they are tight, the less chance of Hip Displaysia, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
osiris20025

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
Yea Achilles only does it when he runs and tries to get speed otherwise no hop! Goes up and down stairs just fine. I will talk to my vet about it on our next visit. I took a video yesterday I will upload in a bit so you guys can see. :)

I've seen bulldogs bunny hop from the time they walk, I've seen swagger and walks like a chicken.... Splayed legs and stiff legs....I don't think a walk means anything unless there is a limp or gait. Bully pups pretty commonly bunny hop when they first go outdoors and take their first good "run". Many grow out of it , but some prefer the speed.

As nycbullymama posted you can X-rays done to be sure.

More so than hip displaysia EBs are known for having very "loose hips" which is something a vet can tell by physical exam. If they are tight, the less chance of Hip Displaysia, I think.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Wow! He's fast! I don't think you have anything to worry about. [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] had a boy with hip Displaysia and she would be able to help

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Looks good to me!

A vet told me, it's a mystery how any bulldog is mobile,
their hips are so loose.

My Cami bunny hops from time to time but when she wants
to run (so for speed) and very short distances, lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't see anything alarming there, but I would get him checked anyways, then you know. If you're not allready giving joint supplements, it's good thing to give any dog. My boys get fish oil and joint supplements every day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.