Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I just talked to doc all went good we can pick him up on Wednesday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Amy, I admire the love you have for Radar. He's so blessed to have you. Please give him lots of hugs and kisses from Bella and me. We send our love!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This whole thing brings me to tears for you and Radar, he will do great, and his pain will end too, lifting you both in prayers xxoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I apologize as I haven't been around much the last several days to keep up with this. It breaks my heart that it has come to this but know in your heart that the decision you made while tough and heartbreaking was the right one for the long term health of Radar. He will adapt and I am sure will feel much better in the long run. We will be keeping him in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
:hug2:

I am so sorry but you did the right thing and your baby will probably surprise you --- animals are amazingly adaptable!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Amy, I'm thinking of Radar and you. You are doing what's best for your boy and like so many have said already , I truly believe he will adapt and adjust to not having his leg. The important part is that he will be much more comfortable and you will be able to focus on his recovery. Lots of hugs to you guys!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending hugs and prayer and all the best to you and radar. Pray that he heals well, and does great. He may even have a better attitude,because he may have had more pain
than anyone realized! We know how you have been so caring with him,and gone to the max to try and help him. There is much admiration for what you have been through
trying to do the best for him.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am so sorry that you and Radar have had to go through so much. You are both incredibly strong and while it was a hugely difficult decision, everything you did was to insure Radar having a quality life. I am so glad to hear that the surgery went well - we are sending positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Hugs to you both!

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I haven't commented on this, but I've been your and Radar's story. I'm sorry this is what it came to, but glad in a sense that there IS a resolution to get him up and running again. That is what matters!
Hugs to you and your boy. He will be his happy puppy self in no time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Update: I have been on the phone all morning with the surgeon, another surgeon in the office and our regular vet. The other surgeon in the office has looked at the x rays and says he can see no indication that anything was done wrong, he suspects radars bone isn't strong enough to hold the screws. The original surgeon may have told me that but with all the shock it may not have registered. Our regular vet is shocked that he tried so many times, I am stubborn and didn't want to give up on his leg. Through a river of tears and sobs they will be taking radar's leg this afternoon, he has been in pain for so long it is time for it to be over, I could see it in his eyes yesterday when we went to visit. He hasn't been using that leg for quite a few weeks so I am sure he will adjust.

I have cried, soul searched, taken to heart the advice I have gotten here, and ignored the crappy advice I got elsewhere and I am content that we have made the best decision for Radar. It is now time for me to quit beating myself up about what I should have or could have done and what I did or didn't do and concentrate on helping Radar adjust to being a tripawed and having a happy rest of his life and getting the trainer back to build up his confidence.

Sorry I wasn't on here much yesterday… I'm glad to hear that Radar did fine in the surgery, and I wish him all the best when he gets home.

I have a story I want to tell you because I think this may help you feel better about your decision… I have a cousin who's husband stepped on an IED overseas years ago, and of course they sent him home for several surgeries to try and repair his ankle/foot issues. This went on for years… and eventually he got addicted to his painkillers. He told us that he wishes now that his foot had been blow off, or that the army would have removed his foot. The pain has literally been unbearable, and all he can see is a never-ending life of surgeries. I know that Radar can not tell you how much pain he is experiencing, but maybe this will help you feel better about your decision.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think you will be surprised by how well he will do with 3 legs! Dogs are such resilient animals....they adapt so well to different situations. I will PM you the name of a forum just for the parents of 3 legged dogs. There is also a company called OrthoPets that is amazingly helpful. They deal in prosthetics for pets and they can also make a sling to protect your pups ampuatation site from pressure sores. We dealt with them once and they talked to us on the phone and exchanged x-Rays via email....I just can't say enough about how helpful they are.

This will be just a speed bump on the road of life. Take care and try to have faith in how strong your baby is :heart:

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
I'm so glad to read Radar's surgery went so well :hug2:
Dear Amy, everything you did or do, every decision you took or take was and is motivated by the wish to do the best for your sweet little Radar - - so there are no 'faults' in the past, there can't be any, because you just tried everything possible to HELP your sweet little boy.
In his case taking his leg means giving him the opportunity to become pain free again, to heal, and to become active again. He will be so glad to come back home. And he will learn rapidly to do everything on three legs instead of on four.
Hugs to you both :hug::hug:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We wish Radar a speedy recovery! Animals are amazing at adapting and Radar will hopefully soon be a happy bulldog again!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:pray::pray::pray::luv::assurred::hug2::grouphug:From us, to you and Radar. Hope that all is going well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.