Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Radar update not good news

Amy, I'm thinking of Radar and you. You are doing what's best for your boy and like so many have said already , I truly believe he will adapt and adjust to not having his leg. The important part is that he will be much more comfortable and you will be able to focus on his recovery. Lots of hugs to you guys!

2. Likes Texas Carol, bullmama, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sending hugs and prayer and all the best to you and radar. Pray that he heals well, and does great. He may even have a better attitude,because he may have had more pain
    than anyone realized! We know how you have been so caring with him,and gone to the max to try and help him. There is much admiration for what you have been through
    trying to do the best for him.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes Texas Carol, bullmama, 2BullyMama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry that you and Radar have had to go through so much. You are both incredibly strong and while it was a hugely difficult decision, everything you did was to insure Radar having a quality life. I am so glad to hear that the surgery went well - we are sending positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Hugs to you both!
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

6. Likes bullmama, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

I haven't commented on this, but I've been your and Radar's story. I'm sorry this is what it came to, but glad in a sense that there IS a resolution to get him up and running again. That is what matters!
    Hugs to you and your boy. He will be his happy puppy self in no time.

8. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bengardradar View Post
    Update: I have been on the phone all morning with the surgeon, another surgeon in the office and our regular vet. The other surgeon in the office has looked at the x rays and says he can see no indication that anything was done wrong, he suspects radars bone isn't strong enough to hold the screws. The original surgeon may have told me that but with all the shock it may not have registered. Our regular vet is shocked that he tried so many times, I am stubborn and didn't want to give up on his leg. Through a river of tears and sobs they will be taking radar's leg this afternoon, he has been in pain for so long it is time for it to be over, I could see it in his eyes yesterday when we went to visit. He hasn't been using that leg for quite a few weeks so I am sure he will adjust.

I have cried, soul searched, taken to heart the advice I have gotten here, and ignored the crappy advice I got elsewhere and I am content that we have made the best decision for Radar. It is now time for me to quit beating myself up about what I should have or could have done and what I did or didn't do and concentrate on helping Radar adjust to being a tripawed and having a happy rest of his life and getting the trainer back to build up his confidence.
    Sorry I wasn't on here much yesterday… I'm glad to hear that Radar did fine in the surgery, and I wish him all the best when he gets home.

I have a story I want to tell you because I think this may help you feel better about your decision… I have a cousin who's husband stepped on an IED overseas years ago, and of course they sent him home for several surgeries to try and repair his ankle/foot issues. This went on for years… and eventually he got addicted to his painkillers. He told us that he wishes now that his foot had been blow off, or that the army would have removed his foot. The pain has literally been unbearable, and all he can see is a never-ending life of surgeries. I know that Radar can not tell you how much pain he is experiencing, but maybe this will help you feel better about your decision.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

I think you will be surprised by how well he will do with 3 legs! Dogs are such resilient animals....they adapt so well to different situations. I will PM you the name of a forum just for the parents of 3 legged dogs. There is also a company called OrthoPets that is amazingly helpful. They deal in prosthetics for pets and they can also make a sling to protect your pups ampuatation site from pressure sores. We dealt with them once and they talked to us on the phone and exchanged x-Rays via email....I just can't say enough about how helpful they are.

This will be just a speed bump on the road of life. Take care and try to have faith in how strong your baby is

Pet Sitter
    Country
    Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Püppy
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad to read Radar's surgery went so well
    Dear Amy, everything you did or do, every decision you took or take was and is motivated by the wish to do the best for your sweet little Radar - - so there are no 'faults' in the past, there can't be any, because you just tried everything possible to HELP your sweet little boy.
    In his case taking his leg means giving him the opportunity to become pain free again, to heal, and to become active again. He will be so glad to come back home. And he will learn rapidly to do everything on three legs instead of on four.
    Hugs to you both

12. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We wish Radar a speedy recovery! Animals are amazing at adapting and Radar will hopefully soon be a happy bulldog again!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

14. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

From us, to you and Radar. Hope that all is going well.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

I'm thinking of you today as you pick up your sweet boy. Give him lots of loving from us. We love you guys!!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Lots of love and hugs to you and Radar today. I hope him coming home puts you at ease. Please give us an update on him when you can. XOXOXO

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Glad your sweet baby is coming home today. Wish you the best!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads