Advice, please, regarding two month old

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
One of my employees just came to me and told me that her boyfriend bought her a two month old Bulldog last night. She said he couldn't pass it up "because he was so cheap." I cringed, waiting for the other shoe to drop. There must be an irresponsible breeder in the area who is in it for the money only.

The nurse who works for me said that she noticed bright red blood in the puppy's stool this morning. Any ideas what it could be? She said he is active and eats well. He has had two sets of shots. She said she cannot take him to the vet until next week because of her work schedule. The lady who the puppy was bought from was feeding Purina. I advised the nurse to go to Tractor Supply for TOTW, which is what I use.

I'm afraid this will not turn out well.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi, [MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION] This pup may have a bad case of worms,coccidiosis, giardia,or it could be the food. My Frenchie was being fed pr plan when I got her, and I kept
seeing blood in her stools. Started giving her grain free, and she was fine. Of course that pup has definitely got to see the vet. If he was given shots bought at the local
feed store-they are not much good. When I worked for vet years ago, many dogs came in with Parvo,whom the owner said they gave them their shots,which they got at
the Co op.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, Lynn. Maybe she can get a dewormer from Tractor Supply when she gets some different food, at least until she can get him to the vet next week. I also plan to tell her not to bring him to work until he has had all of his vaccinations. I bring Sophie and Tucker to work daily, not always together. Tucker has completed his vaccinations, but Sophie still has more to go.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie had coccidia which caused blood in her stool when I first got her. Seems like puppies always have some kind of parasites or worms.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, @Mom of Tucker This pup may have a bad case of worms,coccidiosis, giardia,or it could be the food. Of course that pup has definitely got to see the vet. If he was given shots bought at the local
feed store-they are not much good. When I worked for vet years ago, many dogs came in with Parvo,whom the owner said they gave them their shots,which they got at the Co op.

totally agree!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with the above advice, and she should definitely take puppy to the vet. It's always a good idea to have an exam in the first few days of getting a new puppy. The vet can check the eyes and ears for any infections, they will listen to the heart, to rule out any defects, or murmurs, they will check and feel the stomach, they can sometimes feel if they have parasites, they will check a stool sample to look for viruses, parasites, worms etc, and will do a general wellness check.
It is good to do this to rule out any genetic problems that could come up later, and if the puppy has any illnesses, parasites or infections they can be treated early.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Blood in it's stools and she can't take him to the vet until next week? [emoji45][emoji32][emoji36]

I understand people have to work, but it's an 8 week old puppy, a baby! I just...maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe you could suggest the emergency vet? Sometimes the cost isn't that much more for a regular after hours visit....

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
If it is parvovirus, that's very dangerous. This pup needs to be seen now.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The puppy is doing better. She has wormed him and changed him to Taste of the Wild Puppy food. He is no longer having bloody stools.

I am amazed at how educated a Bulldog owner must be in order to properly care for them. Even this "breeder" she got him from was feeding Purina. I am afraid the puppy may have health issues down the road. He does have a lazy eye as well. I'm sure the genetics are poor. The best I can do is offer her advice and encourage her to research information on Bulldogs as well. She of course has already fallen in love with him, so I think she will do the best she is able in caring for him.

She has named him Diesel.

MaMaonStrike

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
An english Bulldog, Trixie and a pug, Zoey owns ME.
Any breeder that feeds their bulldog or any breeds for that matter PURINA. Something is wrong with the picture here. A good breeder wouldn't feed their babies purina. That's basically feeding your baby trash.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.