Peppermint Oil Safe?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Ok we've had a spider problem here and I am TERRIFIED of them. I read that if you spray water mixed with peppermint essential oil, it wards them off. So I got some and have sprayed the doors, baseboards, vents, etc before I realized that this may be an issue for Matilda!

I've called the vet (who doesn't know but doesn't think it's an issue), the ASPCA poison control center (that won't let you talk to a real person unless you pay $65!), and researched online (with conflicting opinions).

It's a really small amount of peppermint (30 drops total in a 32oz bottle of water and I barely sprayed any of it) but in case Matilda decides to shove her face into where I've sprayed, is this something I should worry about?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I did the same thing for ants. It did nothing to Bella (or the ants!), but I didn't let her get into it really.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm not sure about the peppermint oil, but I did have an issue one time w/tea tree oil. Wally threw up after I put a small amount on him, so I immediately washed it off and he was fine. I'm sure since it's diluted it will be okay for your girl, I just would watch her so she doesn't lick any of it until it dries.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I have tried both peppermint oil and citrus oils and neither kind has affected Frank. I just kept him out of the areas I sprayed until it dried.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thanks guys! I can't even smell the peppermint, it's such a small amount, so I think it'll be okay :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.