My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
What Wonderful people you are for taking in this Precious Baby, with loads of Love and Care I am sure she will come around, I feel like she was being abused. God Bless You and Winnie.

OP
ltpyro

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
Ok small update, day two. Winnie seems to be getting a little more used to the new home. She seems very anxious all the time, especially when the other two bullies are nearby. We got her previous vet records and there is a lot of the word aggression mentioned in them, both at the owners house and reports of her trying to bite the vet. She also tried to bite our vet last night when we took her.

What kind of worries me is that in the three years we have had our bullies we have never seen them bite at or nip anything. They have always been the most understanding animals I have ever seen. Kids, other dogs, even strangers and they just take everything in stride... Until Winnie, since she has been nipping at them, I have seen them strike back, which is just way out of character for them. Before this I would have told anyone that my dogs didn't even know how to be mean or strike at anything. Made me sad to see it really.

We have basically confined our selves to the kitchen area where it is tile since she pees a lot. But we are seeing that our first two bullies are starting to be afraid of her and trying to hide in other parts of the house.

Any suggestions???

FYI here is a pic of Winnie

ebadb38b792307375cb5b0e764290644.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Bless her... that poor baby just doesn't know any better. She doesn't know love, or what it feels to be safe. The only support I can offer is that this will definitely take time. This is all new to everyone in the family. Winnie needs to adjust to her new home, her siblings need to adjust to her being there.... it will all take time. A suggestion for them getting along is try taking them on a walk together, all 3... I know that things will get better as the days go by, and she realizes there is nothing to be scared of. I know its hard, hang in there.... soon enough she will turn a corner. Just think of how scared you would be in a totally new place, esp coming from where she came from. Hugs.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I know you are in a tough spot, not wanting your babies to be mistreated, and then wanting to help Winnie. Poor girl probably only way she knows how to react to other dogs. Winnie is a beauty, so I hope your trainer can work magic with her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds like Winnie has spent her whole life, being mistreated, by both her owners,and the German Shepherd. She has not got any self confidence, and more dogs bite out of fear than anything. She has(I'm guessing) been totally on her own,living in the stress of that house and that is all she knows. I understand that it is awful to see your
sweet dogs act mean,but now they are not going to let her rule. I know it will take quite a while for her to trust,as she has probably lived in fear,since a pup. I would suggest getting a large metal "playpen" playpen.jpgto put her in for awhile,until she has some time to adjust. Put a puppy pad in there(you said she pees alot),and a crate. She may feel more secure. She can see everything,but not feel so vulnerable as in the open. give a few toys,and a security blanket in the crate. It will take time for her to adjust to a GOOD life.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
You guys did a wonderful thing taking her in and in time she will settle in and learn how to love. She's deifnitely had a very rough life so far but now will know what its like to be loved and give love back.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Tincture of time, love, and patience. Our Bentley was essentially a rescue. We have had him a year now...he is finally going to my wife's lap but not mine. Lots of prayers to you and Winnie.

Keep in mind Winnie's world has been turned upside down.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok small update, day two. Winnie seems to be getting a little more used to the new home. She seems very anxious all the time, especially when the other two bullies are nearby. We got her previous vet records and there is a lot of the word aggression mentioned in them, both at the owners house and reports of her trying to bite the vet. She also tried to bite our vet last night when we took her.

What kind of worries me is that in the three years we have had our bullies we have never seen them bite at or nip anything. They have always been the most understanding animals I have ever seen. Kids, other dogs, even strangers and they just take everything in stride... Until Winnie, since she has been nipping at them, I have seen them strike back, which is just way out of character for them. Before this I would have told anyone that my dogs didn't even know how to be mean or strike at anything. Made me sad to see it really.

We have basically confined our selves to the kitchen area where it is tile since she pees a lot. But we are seeing that our first two bullies are starting to be afraid of her and trying to hide in other parts of the house.

Any suggestions???

FYI here is a pic of Winnie

ebadb38b792307375cb5b0e764290644.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are not using it try --- 'nothing in life is free' with her and take them for walks together --- do not force any interaction for now, keep them separate for a couple days or a week and slowly integrate, and let them get a sense of each other. Walks are your best friend right now to get them to pack up. Winnie may be in pain or scared or she could have a high dominance level that will need you to get a trainer in to help you identify her triggers and body language so you can respond/correct before she makes a more

OP
ltpyro

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
If you are not using it try --- 'nothing in life is free' with her and take them for walks together --- do not force any interaction for now, keep them separate for a couple days or a week and slowly integrate, and let them get a sense of each other. Walks are your best friend right now to get them to pack up. Winnie may be in pain or scared or she could have a high dominance level that will need you to get a trainer in to help you identify her triggers and body language so you can respond/correct before she makes a more

Another update. Winnie is still slightly aggressive with the other dogs, and I say slightly because we have always been around to stop it at a growl and a small bite. Most of the time Cinnamon and Pepper hide in another room and we have to force them to come out for almost anything. The wife and I did talk about it and we are not 100% sure we will be able to keep her though. Two dogs was pushing our resources and three is going to really hard. But, we did decide at the very least we are keeping her until she is more social and we can find someone that will give her everything she needs. I absolutely refuse to put her in a shelter. Only time will tell if she will stay with us or not.

I can definitely do the "nothing for free" thing, but as for keeping them separated, that will be almost impossible with the way our house is. The only place we can really keep her is the kitchen area (since it is tiled) and that's where our others go for water and get out to go potty. Unless by separate you mean keep her in her crate a bit more so they can run around the house more.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Another update. Winnie is still slightly aggressive with the other dogs, and I say slightly because we have always been around to stop it at a growl and a small bite. Most of the time Cinnamon and Pepper hide in another room and we have to force them to come out for almost anything. The wife and I did talk about it and we are not 100% sure we will be able to keep her though. Two dogs was pushing our resources and three is going to really hard. But, we did decide at the very least we are keeping her until she is more social and we can find someone that will give her everything she needs. I absolutely refuse to put her in a shelter. Only time will tell if she will stay with us or not.

I can definitely do the "nothing for free" thing, but as for keeping them separated, that will be almost impossible with the way our house is. The only place we can really keep her is the kitchen area (since it is tiled) and that's where our others go for water and get out to go potty. Unless by separate you mean keep her in her crate a bit more so they can run around the house more.

maybe keep her on lead till you get her to behave with your two babies? It sounds like it may be dominance and she wants to show them she is lead.... if you can find/afford it, find a trainer to come work in the home with you for a few sessions - it can help you identify her signals and correct before she can do anything. it will also help the other pups know you are lead she is below you

OP
ltpyro

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
So we had a good night last night. We took 2BullyMama's advise and gave them some more space. the past couple of night we walked them all together, but we decided that last night we would walk them separate so we could do some training drills with Winnie while the other two were out walking and didn't feel like they were missing out on the treats. It worked really good. It gave Winnie something to focus her energy on and all three dogs were wiped out at the end of the night, bonus!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So we had a good night last night. We took 2BullyMama's advise and gave them some more space. the past couple of night we walked them all together, but we decided that last night we would walk them separate so we could do some training drills with Winnie while the other two were out walking and didn't feel like they were missing out on the treats. It worked really good. It gave Winnie something to focus her energy on and all three dogs were wiped out at the end of the night, bonus!!!

GREAT -- stay consistent.... just like toddlers/teenagers... you give an inch they will take the house :D

OP
ltpyro

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
Lol they already have the house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Right on!! i hope this is the beginning on her coming around.

Most Reactions