Rescued a bully from a family member

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
Its been a long while since I've posted, but I wanted to let you all know that last night we drove out to Temecula CA to pick up a sweet 2 year old bully named Winnie. I'll make the back story short.

After my wife and I got our two bullies, her niece (14 at the time) decided that she had to have a bulldog. We tried to talk her and her family out of it knowing that 1) they were never good to their pets (not the first dog they have had to give up) 2) she was just getting into high school, so she would no time to spend with the dog. Well our effort to change their minds didn't work and she ended up getting this bulldog anyway. From the beginning we told them that if they had any issues or questions to call us. A couple of months go by and we hear nothing about the dog except for the occasional she is doing ok after we ask about her. One day we get a call from my wife's sister in law saying their German Shepard had attacked Winnie and left huge gashes on top of her head. So naturally we told them to let us take the dog since their other dog refused to get along with her. They told us no and that they would handle it. Fast forward about a year (last night) and we get a phone call and its them asking us to take the dog and that they can't handle both dogs because the German Shepard was going to kill the bully. So of course we jumped into the car and drove out the get her.

I really wish they would have given her to us so much sooner. This poor dog is so terrified of everything around her. Any noise makes her try to hide in the corner of her condo (crate). If you try to pet her she will tuck down down and pee. She growls if you are with in arms length of her and make eye contact. She already nipped at one of our two bullies. I know that she can be save and taught to be a good dog again and that we have only had her for the night, but I just felt so bad I had to tell you all and if anyone has any advise I'm all ears.

One more thing to add, and I think God was working for us here. On our way home we decided to stop by Petsmart to get her some chew toys and a walking harness. While I am in line waiting to pay I see our old trainer from when we took our girls to Petsmart for training. So I told her the story and she is going to help us with her. Here come to miracle part. We actually got stuck in heavy traffic before getting to the store (naturally we complained about it). After talking to our old trainer we found out that Petsmart had fired all of the training staff back in March and this was the first time she had been back to the store since she was let go. If we had missed the traffic we would have been in and out of the store before she had got there.

So anyways keep Winnie in your prayers and I will get some pictures tonight after we all go to the vet for her check up.

Thanks

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Bless that poor baby's heart. Thank God that she is now with you, and with time she's going to realize that this home is much different. Please just be patient with her, show her all the love and slowly but surely I just know she will come around. Ugh, not to be rude, but how selfish and ignorant could they be, keeping her like that, poor girl probably has so much anxiety which could have all been avoided. I can't wait to see her gain your trust, and for her to know that she is now safe, and so so loved. Bless you for saving her. Please keep us posted on her progress, and yes, we'd love to see pics!

OP
ltpyro

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
I will definitely keep you all posted. I actually wish I would have taken the day off and stayed at home. So I took tomorrow off, lol.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Wow, you're an angel! I'm so glad you rescued Winnie! Good luck with everything. I can't wait to see pictures.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Keep us posted. In time she will come around and give you love in return for the love you are giving her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank goodness you were stuck in that traffic! Thank you so much for giving her a new life and chance to be a happy bully girl! Give her time to settle in and begin to trust you all, walks as a family/pack will help that to form

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
thank you for taking winnie.. i have recently rescued one and i will be thinking of you and winnie.. sounds like shes in a good place now

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
You are both angels for taking her. What an awful life it sounds like she had; hiding from a GSD that was so much bigger and didn't like her must have made her afraid. I wonder if they have her much attention at all since she seems so scared of human touch. I'm so glad you have her. I can't wait to hear updates! I'm sure everyone will settle in and she'll make great progress once she knows she's loved.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Please know I will pray for her to settle in soon.
Can't wait to see your pics of your crew, an official
bully pack now, awesome! That 'lil girl is very lucky
with your care & home, GOD bless y'all :)

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I will definitely keep you all posted. I actually wish I would have taken the day off and stayed at home. So I took tomorrow off, lol.

I have taken off days of work to be by my Bully's side when he needed me! After all, they are our children too!

Thank you for saving poor Winnie.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
She is lucky that she ended up with you. Good Luck with the transformation. I'm sure with training, love and attention, she will turn positively in no time.
Good Luck and thank you.

MaMaonStrike

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
An english Bulldog, Trixie and a pug, Zoey owns ME.
Bless you for saving her! With lots of love and patience. She will realize she's got it made with you all and wouldn't have to worry about being hurt again. Hate that they waited so long!! It's going to be nothing but the best for her from here on out with you guys loving and spoiling her!!!!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Its been a long while since I've posted, but I wanted to let you all know that last night we drove out to Temecula CA to pick up a sweet 2 year old bully named Winnie. I'll make the back story short.

After my wife and I got our two bullies, her niece (14 at the time) decided that she had to have a bulldog. We tried to talk her and her family out of it knowing that 1) they were never good to their pets (not the first dog they have had to give up) 2) she was just getting into high school, so she would no time to spend with the dog. Well our effort to change their minds didn't work and she ended up getting this bulldog anyway. From the beginning we told them that if they had any issues or questions to call us. A couple of months go by and we hear nothing about the dog except for the occasional she is doing ok after we ask about her. One day we get a call from my wife's sister in law saying their German Shepard had attacked Winnie and left huge gashes on top of her head. So naturally we told them to let us take the dog since their other dog refused to get along with her. They told us no and that they would handle it. Fast forward about a year (last night) and we get a phone call and its them asking us to take the dog and that they can't handle both dogs because the German Shepard was going to kill the bully. So of course we jumped into the car and drove out the get her.

I really wish they would have given her to us so much sooner. This poor dog is so terrified of everything around her. Any noise makes her try to hide in the corner of her condo (crate). If you try to pet her she will tuck down down and pee. She growls if you are with in arms length of her and make eye contact. She already nipped at one of our two bullies. I know that she can be save and taught to be a good dog again and that we have only had her for the night, but I just felt so bad I had to tell you all and if anyone has any advise I'm all ears.

One more thing to add, and I think God was working for us here. On our way home we decided to stop by Petsmart to get her some chew toys and a walking harness. While I am in line waiting to pay I see our old trainer from when we took our girls to Petsmart for training. So I told her the story and she is going to help us with her. Here come to miracle part. We actually got stuck in heavy traffic before getting to the store (naturally we complained about it). After talking to our old trainer we found out that Petsmart had fired all of the training staff back in March and this was the first time she had been back to the store since she was let go. If we had missed the traffic we would have been in and out of the store before she had got there.

So anyways keep Winnie in your prayers and I will get some pictures tonight after we all go to the vet for her check up.

Thanks

We should meet. We just live next door to you in Yorba Linda.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It sounds like Winnie had rough start in life and you've saved her life by taking her in. Thank YOU, God works in strange ways.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.