wife don't like the dog smell

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We have couch covers. Use them all the time & wash them every 2 weeks - keeps smells, fur, etc off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If couch covers don't work, get a different wife!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I don't have a problem with dog smells, I vacuum most days and use a throw rug on my couch and wash it every day or two and keep Ftse clean

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Bicarbonate of soda takes away smell, not great on black fabric though... but on lighter fabric it works. Sprinkle it and leave for a while and then vacuum it up. Try on a smaller area first in case it leaves residues. I sometimes mix a little fabric softner with water and spray on the fabrics in the house if we're having guests over, that also works but only for the time being.

And truthfully I think she'll get used to the smell after a while... We have 5 dogs, I'm sure our house smells but I can't smell it, nor do I care if it smells, dogs smell...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Bicarbonate of soda takes away smell, not great on black fabric though... but on lighter fabric it works. Sprinkle it and leave for a while and then vacuum it up. Try on a smaller area first in case it leaves residues. I sometimes mix a little fabric softner with water and spray on the fabrics in the house if we're having guests over, that also works but only for the time being.

And truthfully I think she'll get used to the smell after a while... We have 5 dogs, I'm sure our house smells but I can't smell it, nor do I care if it smells, dogs smell...

Baking Soda definitely works. I use it in my freezer, and it absorb odors. Didn't think of keeping a box out as well. Gonna try that.

I'm also crazy about my home smelling like dogs. Only thing that works for me is vacuuming all the time, keeping throws/blankets on the furniture, and brushing the dogs every couple of days.
In other words, dogs and house need to be cleaned.

But like Petra said, after a while, you may not even smell anything.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've been given great advice above. You'll never ever get rid of all the dog smell, but you can minimize it and the fur by keeping on top of the cleaning. We bath our guys once every 2 weeks, and I rinse them with equal parts of warm water and white vinegar after their baths. It keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths, and is good for their skin and coat. I vacuum, sweep and Swiffer on Wednesday's, and I Vacuum, sweep, Swiffer, and damp mop every Sunday.
I don't have a problem with the furniture smelling because we have leather furniture, so it's very easy to keep clean, I wipe the furniture down with a soft microfibre cloth and I use warm water, a drop of Dawn dish soap, and a little bit of white vinegar. It cleans and dusts the furniture at the same time. I'm sure you can minimize the smell of your dog by giving him regular baths, brushing him, rinsing him with warm water and vinegar, covering your furniture where he lies with a blanket, throw cover or towel that can be washed regularly, or get him used to sleeping on a dog bed and wash it regularly.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
We bath Effie every 2-3 weeks, we also use Febreze HEAVY DUTY on the furniture :) That seems to help a lot. We use Arm & Hammer extra strength carpet deodorizer before we vacuum. We have Effie, 2 cats, and a hamster, so it's impossible to rid the house of pet smell, but these few things seem to help.

I agree though- after a while, you won't smell it anymore. Effie is our first dog, and we noticed the smell immediately. A few weeks in, we didn't smell it at all anymore. My little sister came to visit for the summer and was laying on the couch and mentioned the "dog smell" LOL. So we bought the Febreze Heavy Duty, and she told us that it helped, haha.

Good luck! :)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You could just be like me. I have terrible dog allergies, so I'm always stuffy. No dog smell! No smells at all actually! :D

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Lol; we don't have carpets and instead have wood floors and tile floors. I got rid of the sofa and loveseat and now we have a metal framed outside loveseat in the livingroom and the girls don't seem to think it is as comfortable as the old one. :w00t::rofl::evilplan:I have beautiful pillows for company in the garage but unless there is company the pillows are indoor/outdoor pillows. The recliners have water proof covers on them and with backups and they get washed every other day. 3 recliners and an indoor/outdoor loveseat and waxed floors. We dust mop and wet mop daily a quick once through and also don't have any curtains (Amber eats holes through them so we decided on blinds). I have extreme allergies so we have very little extra cloth of any type in our house. LOL; I am almost a minimalist where it comes to owning material things, less is best in our house, it almost looks like an office instead of a house where people live but it is easy to clean and keep up. Good luck!!

Last edited:

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Regular baths help. Also, vacuuming a few times per week to get hair that sheds. There is always going to be some sort of "dog smell" just like we have human smell to dogs.

MaMaonStrike

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
An english Bulldog, Trixie and a pug, Zoey owns ME.
I too vacuum daily, wash blankets on my furniture often. If they don't like the smell don't come over is what I tell people. Animal lovers, a true one wouldn't mind the smell cause it just shows they live there. She can get room spray that sprays room every so often if she insists the house smells.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.