Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My goodness, I just solved Bella's vomiting, and I think her hot spot is going away finally.

Now Bella's tail pocket is irritated. It's VERY, very tight. and she's never been a fan of cleaning. I think I failed at cleaning it as often as I should. I tried to clean it last night, and I was obviously hurting her. I pulled out hair, gunk, and a little blood (not a lot). I don't know if I was pressing too hard in there or if it's infected.

I always clean with witch hazel, and I tried again this morning. I think I'm able to see where it's red.

It was really hard to get these pics. What should I do? Use more witch hazel or something else? I'll have the vet look at it on Tues, too.

Thanks again, guys!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hey Cali, this is what I use on Winnie who also has a tight tail. Once or twice a day I wipe her with Malacetic wipes, then I sqirt some A&D ointment up there with a curved syringe that the vet gave me. She's not happy being wiped, but she knows she gets cheese, so she lets me. She's never been sore or had an infection. This is just what's worked for her.
image.jpg

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey Cali, this is what I use on Winnie who also has a tight tail. Once or twice a day I wipe her with Malacetic wipes, then I sqirt some A&D ointment up there with a curved syringe that the vet gave me. She's not happy being wiped, but she knows she gets cheese, so she lets me. She's never been sore or had an infection. This is just what's worked for her.
View attachment 89522

Thanks Donna! I just saw your post in that linked thread. Do you think I should try these things now that it's already irritated? It's really red! I got a better look.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thanks Donna! I just saw your post in that linked thread. Do you think I should try these things now that it's already irritated? It's really red! I got a better look.

Since the vet is looking at her tomorrow, I'd probably just wait and see what he says before you change what you're doing.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola has a tight screw tail as well. We always get up there with baby wipes, douxo or witch hazel, but we taught her very young to expect this every time we came in from doing business outside. She loves the douxo wipe treatment though, all 4 paws and the second round I say 'bum!' and get all up in there. Occasionally there is irritation. Lola has lost a few lbs so the tail is actually less tight around her cheeks if that makes sense. If you dont' clean regularly there will be some build up. but your pictures don't look very bad at all. I would just keep up the regular cleaning, followed by lots of treats, and it will become a normal bulldog maintenance thing.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks everyone! I go to the vet on Tues. I'll see what they say. My poor girl... So many unpleasantries lately...

I've gotta say, I paid $400 for a puppy package at the vet when I first got Bella. It covers her first vaccines and all her office visits for a year. I've more than gotten my money back on that investment. I wonder if they'll even let the next bully owner sign up for that program once I'm done with them. LOL

ETA: Those of you with bullies without tail pockets, be thankful every single day!!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thanks everyone! I go to the vet on Tues. I'll see what they say. My poor girl... So many unpleasantries lately...

I've gotta say, I paid $400 for a puppy package at the vet when I first got Bella. It covers her first vaccines and all her office visits for a year. I've more than gotten my money back on that investment. I wonder if they'll even let the next bully owner sign up for that program once I'm done with them. LOL

ETA: Those of you with bullies without tail pockets, be thankful every single day!!

I know! When the vet told me about Winnie's tail pocket (3 prior bullies, and I'd never heard of a tail pocket) and she said that I would have to do the cleaning procedure after every poop, I was not happy at all!! But after I got home and paid attention to her pooping, how her tail actually moves to the side when she poops, then I figured that I don't have to do it after every poop. Once we started the routine of cheese treats and I figured out how to hold her so she couldn't get away, it started going easily. Mostly all I clean out is a little hair and dirt, but I can see how it would build up. My vet said, "Well, the first thing you should do is buy stock in A&D Ointment." Now when I say, "Let's wipe your bottom," Winnie and Jack both come running (it's the treats!)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Banks' tail pocket was real tight and even had extra skin. I used witch hazel and a prescription powder to keep hers clean and dry --- she was fine the first 2 yrs, then BANG, it was super tight

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm worried that I'm hurting her so much that she's never going to let me clean it again. It's soooo freaking tight! I will be diligent from now on, though. I am hoping the doctor will give her some oral Rx that'll get rid of the infection so I can start cleaning it easier without hurting her.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'm worried that I'm hurting her so much that she's never going to let me clean it again. It's soooo freaking tight! I will be diligent from now on, though. I am hoping the doctor will give her some oral Rx that'll get rid of the infection so I can start cleaning it easier without hurting her.

The witch hazel might burn if the skin is irritated. Do you have malaket or douxo wipes you could switch to temporarily? It's probably tighter because it's inflamed and a little swollen, poor Bella. This happened to Ruckus once before and I'm super diligent now. I think some diaper rash cream (just a tad) might be soothing for her until you can get her an antibiotic at the vet.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
The witch hazel might burn if the skin is irritated. Do you have malaket or douxo wipes you could switch to temporarily? It's probably tighter because it's inflamed and a little swollen, poor Bella. This happened to Ruckus once before and I'm super diligent now. I think some diaper rash cream (just a tad) might be soothing for her until you can get her an antibiotic at the vet.

I think Jackie is right. A little diaper rash cream won't hurt anything and might help a lot. If you go to buy some, get the A&D Diaper Rash Cream (treatment), because it's more drying. There is an A&D Ointment (preventative)--don't get it.
Sorry, I thought you were going to the vet today.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry... I should gave said --i use witch hazel fir daily cleaning when there is no irritation

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks guys! I started using Desitin last night and today. Hopefully it helps. It's so tight, I really couldn't get witch hazel in there. I used a Q-tip of Desitin.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.