How long until allergy symptoms go away after switching food?

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
My Olive ball 😋 is itchy and her skin looks pink and has also been licking her paws. We've now had her two weeks on the 27th and her previous owner had her on Blue wilderness chicken so I changed it to Orijen six fish on the 19th I believe. How long until she stops having the allergy symptoms or could she be allergic to something else??? 😐

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Typically it can take up to 30 days to get the old food out of their system. However, determining food related allergies is a lot of trial and error and takes a lot of time to sort out.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Todd, it can take up to a month to see any benefits or improvements from a food change. Finding a food that they tolerate is trial and error, and although allergy symptoms are usually food related, there can be other causes as well, such as environmental allergies. They can be allergic to the same things as people are like dust, pollens, trees, grasses, or to the environment inside, dust, cleaners, laundry soap products, or shampoos. Have you tried giving Olive a Benadryl to see if it helps with her symptoms? You can also put her on a good Probiotic to help with her allergies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 119

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I gave up trying to figure out what the problem was with Maximus when it came to his Allergies. He was on and off constant steroids and antibiotics and had numerous food changes that it literally became ridiculous. My Vet finally stated that it was time Maximus went to see
a Veterinary Dermatologist. And that's what we did. After seeing the Dermatologist and getting put on 3 new medications, I had a new looking dog in 2-days. It definitely was not a "Food" allergy at all. Maximus had Allergies. Now he looks wonderful, feels a heck of a lot
better and is a new dog ! So don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out which new food to try your dog on - Go see a Dermatologist
first !

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I gave up trying to figure out what the problem was with Maximus when it came to his Allergies. He was on and off constant steroids and antibiotics and had numerous food changes that it literally became ridiculous. My Vet finally stated that it was time Maximus went to see
a Veterinary Dermatologist. And that's what we did. After seeing the Dermatologist and getting put on 3 new medications, I had a new looking dog in 2-days. It definitely was not a "Food" allergy at all. Maximus had Allergies. Now he looks wonderful, feels a heck of a lot
better and is a new dog ! So don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out which new food to try your dog on - Go see a Dermatologist
first !

You are absolutely correct. Not all allergies are food related. There are a truckload of environmental possibilities as well. Unlucky for Harlea she has both but her food allergies are much worse than her environmental.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i had my abbey tested and out of the 25 things she was allergic to, food was about 15 of them... i finally found a food she can have that is limited ingredient and she was looking better after a couple weeks but she still scratched.. apoquel is a miracle drug.. she looks like a new dog on it and acts like one too..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.