Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I find that my male English Bulldog, Maximus, who is 6-years old, sleeps a lot, and I mean a lot. He goes to bed at night, sleeps through the night, and through the entire next day until dinner time at 5PM. That appears to me to be an awful lot of sleep-time.

Does anyone else experience this with their Bulldog ?

Thanks.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Mine will be 5yo next year and they do take naps during the day when I'm around but they don't sleep all day. I don't know what they do when I'm at work however. Maximus' sleep pattern sounds like a lot of sleep but I'm not sure if that has to do with his age. It could be "normal". I know others here will chime in to give you some feedback on this topic.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie sleeps less than any of my previous 3 Bulldogs. She takes a nap around 12:30 to 2:30 in the afternoon, then she's up pretty much till we go to bed. Maybe a couple of cat naps in between. If I leave the room while she's sleeping, she immediately wakes up and follows me. It's like she sleeps with one eye open. She's only a year old, so I expect as she gets older she will sleep more. I guess it depends on the dog.

My most sleepy bully was Daisy. She would get up to eat and go back to sleep until 3:00 in the afternoon when I came home from work and let her out. She was actually asleep most of the time. I would say, "Daisy, let's go take a nap," and she would get really excited and run back to the bedroom and get in bed. She always beat me there!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
If Lola doesn't go to work with my husband she will sleep from 8:30pm-8am, up for an hour for morning stuffs, then back to sleep until 5pm. She lazy! If we're home, she will cat nap throughout the day (she's sleeping on the couch next to me now). If she goes to work, she will not sleep but will relax on her bed there. I certainly don't think she minds sleeping for 20 hours.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol, don't all Bullies sleep? Dozer is definitely my more lazy guy, he loves to sleep and he hates to walk. He just loves to snuggle. Blossom will sleep during the day if we aren't home, but she is awake more than Dozer. She has lots of energy and likes to go on long walks. Our guys get up at 6:00 or 6:30 am and they go out for potty, then back in to eat breakfast.
They usually will sleep after breakfast for about 3 hours, then we go for our morning walk. They will sleep in the afternoon after walking, and then back out at around 3:00. They eat dinner around 6:00 or 6:30 pm and go for potty at about 7:00 pm. We always go for a long walk in the evening around 8:30 and we will walk for about an hour, and then they usually snuggle with us when we watch tv, and then when we go to bed, they go in their crate for the night and will sleep until breakfast.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, Maximus is 85-lbs., so he is not the easiest of Bullies to wake up or nudge. This time of year he does not go out, it is way to hot for him to be outside, and I had an episode of him having heat stroke a few years ago which was disastrous. I'm gonna take him to the Vet
and ask her opinion of this and see what she says.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea gets up at 0530 daily for breakfast and then eats and naps until 0700 or so. Goes out for potty at that time and comes back in about 0730. From then until about noon she sleeps on her bed by the window and the we play while I am at lunch for the next 40 minutes or so then it is nap time again until 1400 when my wife gets home. Play time from then until 1700 when it is dinner and after dinner nap time until 1800. After dinner/nap it is play and chew on antler time until she goes to bed between 2100 and 2300 the we start all over again the next morning so all in all she sleeps about 16 or so hours a day and she is only 2. That is the norm in her world and she isn't happy with any deviation.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tyson sleeps all night. Then all day if we're at work. If we are home, he'll nap right next to us, it's not full sleep like at night.... But he's napping/relaxing with us. I do think it's normal for them to sleep a lot, but I would consider trying to see if you can get him to lose some weight. The heavier they are the harder it is for their joints, etc. could be why he doesn't wanna move around too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Til spends most of the day sleeping, even when I bring her around with me all day. She sleeps in the car, wherever we go, if we're home, not home, etc. Usually we get at least 1 walk a day, but it's been so hot here lately that we can't.

She usually wakes up around 8-9, does morning potty and eats breakfast, sleeps until 1, and spends the rest of the day until dinner taking naps and playing with us or her toys. Then dinner and back to sleep! They're not terribly active unless you force them!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse is 3 and half and he gets up at 8.30am goes for a walk then sleeps all day until 4pm ( he is always wary of what I am doing thou, follows me around) then he goes on guard duty at the fence for a couple of hours and we play ball etc then he has his dinner and back to sleep till about 7.30 then we have snuggle time and then he goes to bed about 9 - 10 pm

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus is very inactive. Yes, he needs to lose weight, his Vet, and his Dermatologist have recommended that. But trying to get him up and awake to get out of the house is next to impossible. He is probably only awake 4-hours per day.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus is 5 years old, and will be 6 on January 1st. I just can't believe a dog would sleep as much as he does. He only gets up to eat when he's hungry and wants his food. Then goes right back to bed. When the weather gets cooler, I'm gonna take him out for a walk to get him some exercise.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I worry when he Sleeps to much ... and I worry when he sits up all night Panting and not sleeping! I don't know what's going on with my Bullie, but he has to see the Vet, cuz something is wrong. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.