Viviana

Jul 23, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
not yet
Hi all.

First of all I'd like to say how nice it is to see such a nice and helpful group of people.

Now for my dreaded question:

My hubby and I are bulldog lovers, and we are also animal lovers :)
We live in the UK but are planing to move to the USA in the coming months.

Our neighbour has the most beautiful bulldog called Camilla, and she just had puppies. We are puppy siting 6 of them, and have fallen in love with one of the pups. She looks just like her mama who we adore! We really want to get her, but as soon as we started looking into the options for flying her to the US with us, we realized most airlines don't accept her breed because so many of them don't survive the trip. It makes us very sad, and we would never want to take such a risk. We would be looking into a flight from London to Chicago (8hrs), and to our knowledge there is no quarantine process entering the US from the UK. We also found a pet travel agency that has told us that they could help us fly her there through Luftansa. The information we have received to this point is inconclusive, and a bit confusing, and is why we're reaching out here.

We probably already know the answer but we would like to hear form anyone with actual experience of flying a bully pup.

Some details on her. She comes form a very good breeder and pedigree line, she will be about 5 months for time of flight (if we take her), having spent time with her we know her temperament quite well, she is very strong and healthy, she doesn't scared easily and is probably the alpha female of the pack :) With all this said, we love her enough to leave her behind is her life could be in danger.

Would love to hear from all of you. Thank you. Viv + Lee

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've researched this extensively and so far, have only found lufthansa. But, they only fly certain times of the year and generally, any flight out of the UK on lufthansa, will have a stopover in Frankfurt.
We have wonderful breeders in the US as well so I would just wait.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would never fly one in cargo. Some airlines will allow a pup in the cabin with you as long as they are under 25 pounds, and in an approved carrier, but that is a long flight, and I'm not sure I would want to go through that with a pup. I would wait till you got here and settled then look for a pup.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I flew Chumly from the UK to Houston via KLM (because of the Bulldog embargo) so we had to go through Amsterdam . He was 6 at the time so an obvious age difference. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done it. I would have tried to go by QM2 even if it meant waiting a year. He was so stressed when we retrieved him at customs that I thought we were headed straight to the emergency vet. It terrified me. If you are moving over here and you don't have a bulldog yet, don't get one. Bulldogs and flying do not mix. I realize you have fallen in love with a puppy but please, don't fly her. Get one over here. Everything that could go wrong on our journey, did, and I still feel guilt over what I put Chumly through. I'm sorry I can't tell you anything positive.

OP
V

Viviana

Jul 23, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
not yet
Thank you everyone for the feedback, you are really just voicing our thoughts. I think we should wait until we get to the US.

OP
V

Viviana

Jul 23, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
not yet
Thank you everyone for the feedback, you are really just voicing our thoughts. I think we should wait until we get to the US.

Ok we have decided not to get camilla it is not worth putting her and us through so much stress. I will be calling on you again in a few months to find a good breeder in the US.

Once again thank you so much for your help. We appreciate it and little Camilla does too. We will cuddle her and love her until she goes to a new home.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree with the no flying, just bad for bullies. I did read recently about a cruise ship from the UK to the US that has a kennel for passenger dogs. It's definitely an off the beaten path solution snd still might be a lot of stress for a puppy, but maybe to keep in mind for the return trip years later. I found the ship:

Cruise Questions | Frequently Asked Questions | Cunard Line

Can't wait to hear about the pup you get once you're in the U.S.!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I flew Chumly from the UK to Houston via KLM (because of the Bulldog embargo) so we had to go through Amsterdam . He was 6 at the time so an obvious age difference. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done it. I would have tried to go by QM2 even if it meant waiting a year. He was so stressed when we retrieved him at customs that I thought we were headed straight to the emergency vet. It terrified me. If you are moving over here and you don't have a bulldog yet, don't get one. Bulldogs and flying do not mix. I realize you have fallen in love with a puppy but please, don't fly her. Get one over here. Everything that could go wrong on our journey, did, and I still feel guilt over what I put Chumly through. I'm sorry I can't tell you anything positive.

Good choice. Do you already have her though?

I agree with the no flying, just bad for bullies. I did read recently about a cruise ship from the UK to the US that has a kennel for passenger dogs. It's definitely an off the beaten path solution snd still might be a lot of stress for a puppy, but maybe to keep in mind for the return trip years later. I found the ship:

Yah, [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] mentioned it above, the Queen Mary II. There is a waiting list as they only allow a certain amount of dogs at a time, 12 maybe?
You also have to kennel your dog with them, they can't sleep with you in the cabin. I can't Kennel my two for 7 days, Blue wouldn't do well.

My days of going to Europe are long gone since getting these two. I can deal with that since I've seen a lot of it, but my dreams of Japan, and the Maldives.. well that dream has sailed :(

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Ok we have decided not to get camilla it is not worth putting her and us through so much stress. I will be calling on you again in a few months to find a good breeder in the US.

Once again thank you so much for your help. We appreciate it and little Camilla does too. We will cuddle her and love her until she goes to a new home.

Thank you for making a decision that must have been difficult. It is the best decision you could have made under the circumstances especially for little Camilla. You will find another puppy to fall in love with, of that I have no doubt and when you do we want to hear all about it and see pictures! Good luck!

OP
V

Viviana

Jul 23, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
not yet

That is great information! Thank you so much!!

I cant wait to get a pup we really love bullies!!

OP
V

Viviana

Jul 23, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
not yet
Good choice. Do you already have her though?

Yah, [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] mentioned it above, the Queen Mary II. There is a waiting list as they only allow a certain amount of dogs at a time, 12 maybe?
You also have to kennel your dog with them, they can't sleep with you in the cabin. I can't Kennel my two for 7 days, Blue wouldn't do well.

My days of going to Europe are long gone since getting these two. I can deal with that since I've seen a lot of it, but my dreams of Japan, and the Maldives.. well that dream has sailed :(

Hi ncybullymama - We are puppy sitting her and her 5 brother and sisters for a friend who is moving apartment. So we have her at home for a few more days but we have not purchased her if that's wha you are asking. We chose not to because we don't want to risk her life, like I said we love her too much!!

I feel you about the travelling though, my hubby and I better get all our travel in before we get a pup.

OP
V

Viviana

Jul 23, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
not yet
Thank you for making a decision that must have been difficult. It is the best decision you could have made under the circumstances especially for little Camilla. You will find another puppy to fall in love with, of that I have no doubt and when you do we want to hear all about it and see pictures! Good luck!

You guys are awesome!! thanks for the support, it really wasn't easy, my hubby has been mopey and quite sad since we made the decision yesterday. We still have her for a few more days with us (while we still puppysit) so lots of cuddles till then. We also want to meet the people she goes with, to make sure they will love her.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
A friend of mine had a puppy flown in from Canada to Finland and he did just fine, but it's always a lottery. Glad you decided to wait, it can't be a picnic for the puppy...

Most Reactions