My boy was bitten in the face

MaxDAD

Mar 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Hi,

One month ago we had a visitor in our house (Sister in law dog), she was very light and too fast for my boy, they were playing a lot, until I notice that my boy was bitten in the face, both chicks. At the beginning it got really hard like a crust, but the hair was there, a week ago all the hair was gone and the skin was like the picture, it's been 3 weeks since it happened.

Please tell me that the hair is going to grow back again. Is there anything I can put to help, maybe is not noticeable in the picture but looking closely, I can see very thin hair but very spaced between them.

He's only 6 months old, hopefully it will grow back again.

Thanks
IMAG0651.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Being he is so young I would have him seen by your vet, just to make sure there isn't something else going on there.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I would probably have the vet do a skin scraping just to rule out demodectic mange. It is not uncommon for young dogs to have an outbreak. All dogs carry the mites and most of the time their immune systems keep them in check. However, puppies whose immune systems aren't fully developed will sometimes have an outbreak. It is easily treated with medicine.

If it is from the bites on his face I'm sure the hair will grow back. Winnie used to get little bite marks from playing with our other dog. The little scab would fall off and it would take a few weeks (or a month?) for the hair to grow back.

OP
M

MaxDAD

Mar 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I would probably have the vet do a skin scraping just to rule out demodectic mange. It is not uncommon for young dogs to have an outbreak. All dogs carry the mites and most of the time their immune systems keep them in check. However, puppies whose immune systems aren't fully developed will sometimes have an outbreak. It is easily treated with medicine.

If it is from the bites on his face I'm sure the hair will grow back. Winnie used to get little bite marks from playing with our other dog. The little scab would fall off and it would take a few weeks (or a month?) for the hair to grow back.

I did took him to the Vet, coincidence or not but two weeks after this happened, bald spots all over his skin started to appear, they are about 1/4" in diameter, look dry and irritated. they are mostly by the neck and legs. Some of them are even bigger on the chest. I asked the vet and he took samples of it, look at the microscope and said, he detected some kind of bacteria/fungus (don't remember the name).

He gave him Ivermectin, for the next 3 weeks. Does anybody has experience with this medicine? or skin problems?

Thanks,

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
When Winnie was a puppy (about 5 months old) I noticed two small spots, about as big as a small pea, that had no hair and a very slight pinkish tinge to her skin there. The vet did a skin scraping and found Memodectic mange mites. She prescribed a yellow liquid medicine which I gave her twice a day in an eye dropper for two or three weeks (sorry I can't remember exactly). The medicine was Ivermectin. When the medicine was gone, I took her back for another scrape and the vet found a few mites still there. So she took another round of the same medicine--another two or three weeks. At the last and third scraping, the mites were all gone. It took a couple of months for her fur to completely grow back in those spots.

I'm sure your vet told you to bring your pup back for another check to be sure the mites are gone. There is also a dip that vets sometimes use to treat Demodectic Mange. I had a young boxer years ago that was treated that way. I think the vet dipped him once a week for about a month.

I'm not a vet, but the marks on Max's face look more like Demodectic Mange than bite marks to me. But don't worry, as soon as those nasty mites are all gone, his hair will grow back beautifully! Max is very cute! [MENTION=13888]MaxDAD[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did took him to the Vet, coincidence or not but two weeks after this happened, bald spots all over his skin started to appear, they are about 1/4" in diameter, look dry and irritated. they are mostly by the neck and legs. Some of them are even bigger on the chest. I asked the vet and he took samples of it, look at the microscope and said, he detected some kind of bacteria/fungus (don't remember the name).

He gave him Ivermectin, for the next 3 weeks. Does anybody has experience with this medicine? or skin problems?

Thanks,
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Hi,

One month ago we had a visitor in our house (Sister in law dog), she was very light and too fast for my boy, they were playing a lot, until I notice that my boy was bitten in the face, both chicks. At the beginning it got really hard like a crust, but the hair was there, a week ago all the hair was gone and the skin was like the picture, it's been 3 weeks since it happened.

Please tell me that the hair is going to grow back again. Is there anything I can put to help, maybe is not noticeable in the picture but looking closely, I can see very thin hair but very spaced between them.

He's only 6 months old, hopefully it will grow back again.

Thanks
View attachment 89382

Brett had mange and after dips and medicated shampoo and antibiotics. NuStock helped too. You can purchase one off on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My 1st adopted bully had thinning hair, some little scabby sores under his fur
and some bald spots too. I put him on Avoderm Grain Free, Red Meat dry Kibble
and in 3 months skin was healed, fur was nice, thick & glossy, his white areas
glowed! If his food works great now, I'd give him a couple of avocado slices as
a topper on his food or as a separate treat am & pm. Avoid pit & peeled, just give
the flesh of the fruit. Let us know how he does, so adorable!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If it is the mange, Ivermectin is usually the drug of choice. I don't think Iver helps bacterial infections,but have never used it for that. The spots, I would use NuStock on them. The hair will grow back.

OP
M

MaxDAD

Mar 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thanks for all the responses, yes the Vet did ask us to come back after 3 weeks.

I'll get the NuStock for the spots.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

Wait a sec. Ivermectin? That's the active ingredient in Heartgard. It's used to prevent heartworm disease. Why would a vet give it for mange?

I thought products like Advantage were used for mange?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ivermectin is a drug that is used for several things.It kills mange mites,it is a de-wormer(in paste form) for horses/donkeys. I once was given 3 little pigs-they were so
covered in lice, I did not want to take them home. I stopped at a pig farm, and the owner gave them an ivermectin shot for pigs, and within 5 minutes, all the lice on them were dead. In Africa, people get "river worms" which invade their bodies, and they are given ivermectin to rid them of them. It IS also in heartworm prevention. One time the pyrenees outside ate the tube of horse wormer-I guess they got well wormed! The didn't show any reaction. It is also a cattle wormer, and it comes in pour on-which also kills lice,worms,and flies, or in liquid.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ivermectin is a drug that is used for several things.It kills mange mites,it is a de-wormer(in paste form) for horses/donkeys. I once was given 3 little pigs-they were so
covered in lice, I did not want to take them home. I stopped at a pig farm, and the owner gave them an ivermectin shot for pigs, and within 5 minutes, all the lice on them were dead. In Africa, people get "river worms" which invade their bodies, and they are given ivermectin to rid them of them. It IS also in heartworm prevention. One time the pyrenees outside ate the tube of horse wormer-I guess they got well wormed! The didn't show any reaction. It is also a cattle wormer, and it comes in pour on-which also kills lice,worms,and flies, or in liquid.

learn something new everyday..
thanks.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.