Experience with Vetri Science Composure?

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I have a friend who is a groomer and shower/breeder of pointers (she's the one that got me into my giant Shar Pei frenzy!). I mentioned to her that the biggest difficulty we have with Winslow is company.
Truth is, we just don't have that many people over. So when we do, it's exciting, different, overwhelming, and an invasion of his space all at once. :ohmy: Sometimes he's fantastic and doesn't demand much more than for the guest's feet to remain a stationary pillow for his fat head. But more often he becomes very unsettled and pushy, barking at everyone and occasionally snapping. I feel like it's his version of saying, "Okay, you got to see me, now give my parents and all their attention back to me!"

Anyway, back to my friend. She told me about this chewy treat called Composure. Looking at reviews online it's a mixed bag - some have had success, others say there was no effect.

What i want to know is exactly what happened, and what was the behavior/upset that you were trying to keep from happening?
I am also curious if this can be used as a conditioning thing (i feel like there is a better word for this) - basically to use it, reward, use less and still reward good behavior, reward more, and then my dog is an angel when people come over. There's the compressed version anyway haha.

Our niece is coming from Brazil next week. She'll be spending a bit of time here and i don't want Winslow making her nervous, and for her to bounce that back onto him, if he does come across one of these moods. Never fun. But i do think this is worth a try, just want to see if anyone can share their story. :D

Here's a link:
Amazon.com : Composure for Medium and Large Dogs, 60 Soft Chews : Pet Bone And Joint Supplements : Pet Supplies

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had Banks on it for car rides.... did nothing for her. We had to go to Xanax :D not saying you need to do that, but the Composure just was not enough to settle her down.

You can try to tire him out with a long walk or play time before she gets there.... also try to keep him leashed till he settles down always worked with Banks when she was younger

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow

Believe me I've tried wearing him out, and it almost makes him more agitated by the time someone arrives. :eek:
I had him on the leash Sunday, when i was watching our friends' twin babies. He was good at first but then got to the point of, "Let me plaayyyy wit da human puppiez!!!" He also got annoyed with the leash and kept biting/wrestling it. :( That's not on him though haha, he did try.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
...more agitated when they're here, than he usually is.

My first comment made no sense :rofl:

Most Reactions