How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
We've had one dog and never had our house smell like dog but now with two dogs I'm worried about that dog smell. What products or tips/tricks can I use/do so my house won't smell that way and I don't want anything that just covers up odors...

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Febreeze works wonderful but I always think that if your dogs are clean your place will smell clean. Not like having cats LOL!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Having just brought home our second dog, I was also worried about smell. I've found that weekly baths combined with brushing their coats a few times per week helps a lot. I vacuum more than I used to (ok, ok, I set my Roomba to vacuum more...) because I noticed the dog hair smell more with two. If I keep up with vacuuming and give them regular baths, my only other task is making sure any "dog laundry" is washed promptly. Towels you used to dry them off with will smell immediately. I also do a once or twice per month dog bed wash, to keep their beds smelling fresh.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I have 3 dogs in my house, denial works good for me.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
A dog-smelly-home is my new normal these days :) But I do find that occasionally lighting a fragrant candle helps a lot!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have Harlea and 4 cats. WE keep candles lit pretty much all of the time along with sweeping, dusting and vacuuming multiple times a week. Not long ago we had 4 dogs and 4 cats and the only way you could tell was by the fur flying around.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Big Fabreeze fan here! You can leave bowls of vinegar around (high up) to absorb (I never tried, but I read it works) and I bought this "odor absorber" for my car...it works fabulous! <- I forget the name, I'll check later and fill you in...but Fabreeze all the way :yes:

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey, does rain enhance the doggie smell? I had my slider open one rainy day and I could have sworn that I smelled a very strong dog smell that I never smelled before.

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
Thank y'all so much! I vacuum every other day and sweep every day so hopefully it's not bad lol. I'll stock up on some febreeze, candles, and an odor absorber lol

OP
O

Oliviakainu90

Jul 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
Having just brought home our second dog, I was also worried about smell. I've found that weekly baths combined with brushing their coats a few times per week helps a lot. I vacuum more than I used to (ok, ok, I set my Roomba to vacuum more...) because I noticed the dog hair smell more with two. If I keep up with vacuuming and give them regular baths, my only other task is making sure any "dog laundry" is washed promptly. Towels you used to dry them off with will smell immediately. I also do a once or twice per month dog bed wash, to keep their beds smelling fresh.
do your doggie's skin get dried out with weekly baths?

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I'm not big on sprays and candles and stuff. But! I've been experimenting a lot with baking soda and essential oils...

A half cup of baking soda mixed with a few drops of a good quality essential oil, and done! Seriously works wonders here. I've been using lavender and lemon, and it's wonderful. Also just got an awesome citrus blend that i have yet to use this way. You can use this mixture as a carpet freshener too.
:D

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I'm not big on sprays and candles and stuff. But! I've been experimenting a lot with baking soda and essential oils...

A half cup of baking soda mixed with a few drops of a good quality essential oil, and done! Seriously works wonders here. I've been using lavender and lemon, and it's wonderful. Also just got an awesome citrus blend that i have yet to use this way. You can use this mixture as a carpet freshener too.
:D
[MENTION=9723]jenzaar[/MENTION] What do you put the baking soda in? Or do you sprinkle it around then vacuum? I'm all about the home essentials, love em! I can't use oils yet, I have 4 yr old twin tornados that get into everything...next year I'm thinking for the oils and bowls of absorbents.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
[MENTION=9723]jenzaar[/MENTION] What do you put the baking soda in? Or do you sprinkle it around then vacuum? I'm all about the home essentials, love em! I can't use oils yet, I have 4 yr old twin tornados that get into everything...next year I'm thinking for the oils and bowls of absorbents.
Right now just a cereal bowl haha. I want to get a nice ceramic dish to put them in to make it a little prettier. It keeps for a couple of days too.

And yeah i sprinkle it down on the carpet and leave it for a little while before vacuuming. A lot less worry than the storebought stuff if you can't keep the dogs (or kids!) off of it. ;)

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
ooo, that's an idea! A pretty ceramic bowl on top of the mantle filled w/home-made de-stinkerizer!! Time to go shopping!! :idea2::dance2:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online