Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 40

Thread: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

  1. #13
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    1915
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Quote Originally Posted by jenzaar View Post
    I'm not big on sprays and candles and stuff. But! I've been experimenting a lot with baking soda and essential oils...

    A half cup of baking soda mixed with a few drops of a good quality essential oil, and done! Seriously works wonders here. I've been using lavender and lemon, and it's wonderful. Also just got an awesome citrus blend that i have yet to use this way. You can use this mixture as a carpet freshener too.
    @jenzaar What do you put the baking soda in? Or do you sprinkle it around then vacuum? I'm all about the home essentials, love em! I can't use oils yet, I have 4 yr old twin tornados that get into everything...next year I'm thinking for the oils and bowls of absorbents.

    "Unequivocally the Sweetest"

  2. Likes jenzaar liked this post
  3. #14
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    961
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)
    431

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    @jenzaar What do you put the baking soda in? Or do you sprinkle it around then vacuum? I'm all about the home essentials, love em! I can't use oils yet, I have 4 yr old twin tornados that get into everything...next year I'm thinking for the oils and bowls of absorbents.
    Right now just a cereal bowl haha. I want to get a nice ceramic dish to put them in to make it a little prettier. It keeps for a couple of days too.

    And yeah i sprinkle it down on the carpet and leave it for a little while before vacuuming. A lot less worry than the storebought stuff if you can't keep the dogs (or kids!) off of it.

  4. Likes NewEnglandBully, Oliviakainu90 liked this post
  5. #15
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    1915
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    ooo, that's an idea! A pretty ceramic bowl on top of the mantle filled w/home-made de-stinkerizer!! Time to go shopping!!

    "Unequivocally the Sweetest"

  6. Likes jenzaar, Oliviakainu90, Vikinggirl liked this post
  7. #16
    Dog Park Attendant Roseann's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Honestly, I clean almost everything with diluted white vinegar. It smells strong at first but it fades to nothing at it takes odors with it. I like the smell now that I've used it so long. I also spray the dogs with a little if it's raining out and it helps with the wet dog smell. I just spritz them and then rub them down with a towel. It works amazingly.

  8. #17
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Febreeze works wonderful but I always think that if your dogs are clean your place will smell clean. Not like having cats LOL!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. Likes dolphin liked this post
  10. #18
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    43
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Ohhh I'm going to try that! I've heard baking soda works for so many different things.

  11. Likes NewEnglandBully, jenzaar liked this post
  12. #19
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    43
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    How often does everyone give their dogs a bath? I don't want to dry out their skin.

  13. #20
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Marine91's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Blips and Chitz
    Posts
    8,479
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2584

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliviakainu90 View Post
    How often does everyone give their dogs a bath? I don't want to dry out their skin.
    Mine has no choice but to have a bath once a week due to grass contact allergies.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

  14. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
  15. #21
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    1915
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Febreeze works wonderful but I always think that if your dogs are clean your place will smell clean. Not like having cats LOL!
    I agree...my dog is clean, my cat smells and my kids are filthy...the febreeze is for my husband

    "Unequivocally the Sweetest"

  16. #22
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    1915
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliviakainu90 View Post
    How often does everyone give their dogs a bath? I don't want to dry out their skin.
    I don't have a set schedule, I play it by ear...could be once a month or five times...I don't over use anything that will dry his skin out if he has to have more than 2 baths a month...I always have baby shampoo here (but that's because I have little ones) so that is what he was usually getting and an ACV rinse (2x a month). He is mostly just wiped down daily...so I'm not too concerned about the bathing. ...OH, but he tries to jump in w/the twins almost every night...does that count?!

    "Unequivocally the Sweetest"

  17. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
  18. #23
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Hi you've already been given great advice and suggestions. I also bath our guys once every two weeks, and I use a Tearless Puppy Shampoo, they are gentler than regular shampoos, and they usually have nice fresh scents like Baby Powder. I use Petsmarts Brand of Tearless Puppy Shampoo, I rinse them with with equal, parts of white vinegar and warm water, it keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths, it conditions their skin and it removes the excess soap residue. I don't have any carpets in my house on the main level, we have hardwood floors everywhere except the kitchen and entrance hallway which is tiled, the basement is finished and has a Berber carpet, but the dogs will not go down the stairs, so they are never in the basement. I sweep, Swiffer, and vacuum on Wednesday's, and I sweep Swiffer and damp mop on Sundays. I use Mr Clean on my floors to wash, and then I use plain warm water and White vinegar to go over the floors after they are washed. I also wash their towels and face cloths, right after I use them, and I wash their clothes and sweaters on a regular basis, plus I also wash their collars and leashes in the machine and let them air dry. I don't have to worry about bedding because they can't have any pillows and blankets as they chew and swallow them. My furniture is very easy to keep clean as well, because I have leather, which is really easy to keep clean, I use Swiffer dusters to pick up the loose hairs, and I mix warm water and a squirt of Dawn dish soap with a little white vinegar with a microfibre cloth to wipe down the couch and loveseat. It cleans and dusts the furniture at the same time.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  19. #24
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    1915
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to make sure my house doesn't have that dog smell

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi you've already been given great advice and suggestions. I also bath our guys once every two weeks, and I use a Tearless Puppy Shampoo, they are gentler than regular shampoos, and they usually have nice fresh scents like Baby Powder. I use Petsmarts Brand of Tearless Puppy Shampoo, I rinse them with with equal, parts of white vinegar and warm water, it keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths, it conditions their skin and it removes the excess soap residue. I don't have any carpets in my house on the main level, we have hardwood floors everywhere except the kitchen and entrance hallway which is tiled, the basement is finished and has a Berber carpet, but the dogs will not go down the stairs, so they are never in the basement. I sweep, Swiffer, and vacuum on Wednesday's, and I sweep Swiffer and damp mop on Sundays. I use Mr Clean on my floors to wash, and then I use plain warm water and White vinegar to go over the floors after they are washed. I also wash their towels and face cloths, right after I use them, and I wash their clothes and sweaters on a regular basis, plus I also wash their collars and leashes in the machine and let them air dry. I don't have to worry about bedding because they can't have any pillows and blankets as they chew and swallow them. My furniture is very easy to keep clean as well, because I have leather, which is really easy to keep clean, I use Swiffer dusters to pick up the loose hairs, and I mix warm water and a squirt of Dawn dish soap with a little white vinegar with a microfibre cloth to wipe down the couch and loveseat. It cleans and dusts the furniture at the same time.
    Um...are you for hire?

    "Unequivocally the Sweetest"

  20. Likes Kevikell, dolphin liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •