Achilles is driving me crazy :/

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
So Achilles thinks that everything he can put in his mouth is food that he can chew and swallow. This is becoming a huge problem for us because he has ate socks, pen caps, pieces of trash, anything he can get a hold of he will chew and try to eat. Luckily he has been able to pass everything and poop it out but I am so worried that one day he wont be as lucky and something could happen to him :fie: Also, he likes to eat the weeds and grass from our backyard, he doesnt even chew them he swallows them whole. Sometimes when we catch him chewing on something that he is not supposed to, we try to take it away from him and yell to stop but he is so sneaky he'll devour it and swallow before we can get to him. We try to always keep the house clean and watch what he puts in his mouth but there are 3 little kids running around my house often so it makes it difficult to monitor everything. Have you guys had any similar situations ? Any tips or advice that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
That is a tough situation! I know my mother has a Boxer who has eaten three socks, and he had to have surgery each time to remove them. My Tucker will also try to gobble up or run off with something he has in his mouth, once I have noticed and have gone after him to take it away. I hope you find answers. How old is Achilles?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Keep him in the same room with you at all time. If you have to baby gate the house up, then do it. my boys only have access to the kitchen, living room, and dining room. The rest of the house is gated off. Sometimes if they are just going to lay on the bed when I am in my room, they can come in, but usually not. And under no circumstances are they ever aloud upstairs to the jungle that is the three kids bedrooms. There is way too much temptation for them to eat something up there.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Keep him in the same room with you at all time. If you have to baby gate the house up, then do it. my boys only have access to the kitchen, living room, and dining room. The rest of the house is gated off. Sometimes if they are just going to lay on the bed when I am in my room, they can come in, but usually not. And under no circumstances are they ever aloud upstairs to the jungle that is the three kids bedrooms. There is way too much temptation for them to eat something up there.

Agree with Rosalie, we block Tyson off to limited rooms, and in those rooms where he's allowed, the floors are spotless. We had a sock incident as well, 2 he was able to vomit, the 3rd required surgery - it was awful to see him so sick. I know its hard, trust me.. but its become an OCD trait for me. I scan the floors right before I leave the house, close off doors, etc. I dont know if you crate him while you leave, but that's an option too.

OP
osiris20025

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
Achilles is only 7 months old and he is only allowed in the dining room, living room and kitchen everything else is gated. I am always checking the floors to make sure there is nothing that he can chew and swallow but since Im not home all day sometimes its really hard to keep track of everything especially with the kids at the house. When I leave for work he is in is crate until my mom comes home and lets him out around noon. Ive told everybody in the house to really watch him because he will eat literally anything, I don't know we just have to be really really really extra careful

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have dealt w/this issue… having bully puppies and a baby/toddler running around. Rosalie gave you great advice… keep baby gates handy, and try to keep the kids toys down to a minimum outside their bedrooms. Easier said that done I know, but hopefully he WILL grow out of this. Make sure he has lots of things that he would prefer to chew on such as kong toys, nylabones, antlers and other puppy toys. Remember NO rawhides… they pose a chocking hazard. If your kids are old enough get them involved… let them give him chew toys and bones. That way you will have more eyes on your baby… good luck!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I concur with gating them and always having them in the same area as where you are. My boys are 8 and 5, and they they still get monitored closely.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
So Achilles thinks that everything he can put in his mouth is food that he can chew and swallow. This is becoming a huge problem for us because he has ate socks, pen caps, pieces of trash, anything he can get a hold of he will chew and try to eat. Luckily he has been able to pass everything and poop it out but I am so worried that one day he wont be as lucky and something could happen to him :fie: Also, he likes to eat the weeds and grass from our backyard, he doesnt even chew them he swallows them whole. Sometimes when we catch him chewing on something that he is not supposed to, we try to take it away from him and yell to stop but he is so sneaky he'll devour it and swallow before we can get to him. We try to always keep the house clean and watch what he puts in his mouth but there are 3 little kids running around my house often so it makes it difficult to monitor everything. Have you guys had any similar situations ? Any tips or advice that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

How old is he? Are you crate training? He will settle down eventually but it is definitely dangerous while they're teething to give him free reign of the house! Get him a crate or playpen and unless you're actively watching him, that is where he needs to stay - for his safety and your home's! Give him plenty of toys, bones, etc to chew in there!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.