well... what would you do?

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
We went to the pet store today and they had a booth with rescue dogs that need homes. They had an english bulldog there that was sooo flippin cute. So my family and I talked to them for awhile and we exchanged phone numbers.

Move on to about an hour ago... I talk to the lady in charge of the rescue and got some info on this boy. His name is Charlie and about 1 1/2-2 years old. He's been rehomed 5-6 times in his short life. This lady told me that he has "attacked the previous owners shar-pei 3 times and now he doesn't want him anymore. Charlie had no problems at the store. He met NOrman and did great.

Problem: Vets only give him about a year to live. He has a kidney issue where 1 kidney didn't grow properly and now he only has use of 1 kidney. I, personnally dont' have a problem with it. It also requires special food and blood draws every 3 months to check his kidney function. He also leaks urine at times.

I just want to get input on everyones opinion what you think. Or if anyone has had an issue with kidneys.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think you must follow your heart and your gut. If you feel you have the time, energy to give him a great home, then I say go for it! You are such a passionate person about your dogs I think you could make it work. What is the rest of the families thoughts?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Oh my. It sounds like this was the perfect day for you to go to the pet store. :up:
I think it was meant to be! He needs you!
Good luck!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
You must be a wonderful person to even consider adopting Charlie. I wouldn't worry so much about him not getting along with a Sharpei. Do you have any info on why he had to leave his other "homes"? Will his urine leakage prompt your other dogs to pee in the house? Do you have the support of other family members? I wish you well and hope Charlie finds a place with you or someone else where he is a perfect fit.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
ugh my heart would be torn in different directions. my doby lived almost 9 years of her life with the occasional bladder leakage. we coped with it...i had her on meds, she would fight me to take the pills at times. i tried the diapers, they were a pain....i eventually got it down to a science and knew about when she would "leak" and her bedding was washed daily and she lounged during the day on our linoleum floor on her bedding. as far as the kidney thing, i guess i would just research and learn as much as possible. maybe get other vet opinions?!?

i wonder if the bully REALLY attacked the shar-pei (considering you said he did well at the store around your boy). maybe it was the owners way of getting out of the long term responsibilities of this bully. just my thoughts. best of luck in your decision.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
It is possible that even if he attacked the dog he lived with , he with be fine with your guys. We have a foster at work who gets along well with every dog in daycare , but had to be rehomed because she an he sister literally kept trying to kill each other. She lives at daycare now and stay in the office with the owners dog at night . She hsn't had a single issue with them , or at daycare ever and she has been attending daycare for 4 years. Often times 2 dogs develope a long standing rivelry with 1 particular dog they share a house with but e just fine with any other dogs inside out outside of their home. I don't know much about kidneys so I can't help you there. The only living 1 yeqar is a little scary , but if that is the case ,make the most of it.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Also [MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] if you have young children, I would think a lot about this as they will become very attached and it will be hard for them when charlie passes. I know there is a possibility of this with any pet, but i imagine this would be a little worse.

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Yes... we have had several family meetings with everyone- including the other dogs;). We all think we want Charlie to live the rest of his life happy. He gets along with Norman; but it's LeRoy who causes the problems. We will do a meet-and-greet soon. But until then, I want to do as much research as possible. We talked with both of my kids about his shortened life span. They are agreeable with him living the best life we would be able to give him. They are great kids and very, very smart. We have had some very sick frenchies in this house. They know about death pretty well.

My last frenchie foster had to have 1 of her kidneys removed and she is still doing excellant. She was on K/D when I had her... but I'm not a fan of Science Diet.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I feel that I know you from this site, you will do what is right, I have a feeling Charlie will be living his last days with you, You are wonderful compasionate lady and I know you will make the right choice.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I think it is wonderful that you and your family are willing to give Charlie the life he deserves, for the rest of his life. Hopefully it will be far longer than they predict! God bless you!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Oh my. It sounds like this was the perfect day for you to go to the pet store. :up:
I think it was meant to be! He needs you!
Good luck!

i totally agree. He should be loved if he has little time left. Personally I don't know if i could take the loss i don't handle it well at all. This sounds like it was meant to be for you. The sharpei probably pissed him off. And I'm not just saying this so we have another bully in our ebn family:whistle:

Last edited:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
That i so awesome of you!!!!!! I hope things go well and u have a new member of the family soon. Maybe things will change and he will live a long and happy life

L

Lucy-licious

Let the meet n greet with LeRoy there make your decision. I think you have a big heart and loving family and will do the right thing by them and Charlie, he will need a lot of love, understanding and patience....with 3 dogs already in the family i would say you have all 3 qualities in an abundance. Goodluck with your choice xx

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I couldn't add anything else, they all said it.

I do however wonder why a dog has problems with 1 bad kidney. Humans can live with just one. Our bully growing up was on heavy allergy meds, the vet said it would shorten his life because of the "kidney damage" it causes. He was still over 12 when he passed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.