TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Last night was the 2nd rice cake night. She vomited bile again this morning. I'm thinking I'm going to split up her dinner (as someone suggested) and give her a quarter of that before bed. I'm thinking she might need more substance than half a rice cake.

I'm curious, are you guys feeding a full or half rice cake before dinner?

Full :)

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm still trying to figure this out, without the use of Pepcid. I'm using trial and error regarding what late-night snack combo works for Bella. Tuesday night I gave her a quarter of her kibble at 11:30PM. The next morning at 7:00AM, she spit up bile again, along with this chunk of something. It looked like a big chunk of mashed up hardened dirt. I have no idea what it was, but she could have swallowed anything!

Anyway, last night I gave her some grain free snacks (I forget the brand--I got it from Petsmart--it comes in a tube) and a rice cake. This morning when I woke up, I gave her another rice cake. No vomit this morning! :)

I also purchased Fromm's grain-free bisquits from Amazon. They arrive today. I'm going to start giving those to her at night and maybe another one in the mornings. I hope that keeps her tummy settled.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm still trying to figure this out, without the use of Pepcid. I'm using trial and error regarding what late-night snack combo works for Bella. Tuesday night I gave her a quarter of her kibble at 11:30PM. The next morning at 7:00AM, she spit up bile again, along with this chunk of something. It looked like a big chunk of mashed up hardened dirt. I have no idea what it was, but she could have swallowed anything!

Anyway, last night I gave her some grain free snacks (I forget the brand--I got it from Petsmart--it comes in a tube) and a rice cake. This morning when I woke up, I gave her another rice cake. No vomit this morning! :)

I also purchased Fromm's grain-free bisquits from Amazon. They arrive today. I'm going to start giving those to her at night and maybe another one in the mornings. I hope that keeps her tummy settled.

And, everything else is totally normal?

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
And, everything else is totally normal?

For the most part, yes. The only thing is she had a hotspot a couple of weeks ago. The vet said that it was possibly a spider bite. They shaved it and gave me ointment. The ointment helped tremendously, so I stopped using it when I thought the hotspot was totally healed. But, the skin started thickening again (even though the hair started growing back), so I'm using the ointment again.

I would be surprised if that is at all related, but that's the only other thing going on with her.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
For the most part, yes. The only thing is she had a hotspot a couple of weeks ago. The vet said that it was possibly a spider bite. They shaved it and gave me ointment. The ointment helped tremendously, so I stopped using it when I thought the hotspot was totally healed. But, the skin started thickening again (even though the hair started growing back), so I'm using the ointment again.

I would be surprised if that is at all related, but that's the only other thing going on with her.

I wonder if that piece of whatever it was she vomited was what was causing her to get the bile up. That happens if the stomach keeps rejecting it... if you notice no more bile after this point - that could be it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Did they x-ray her for an obstruction when you took her to the vet?

When Blue swallowed a squeaker, he only threw up in the middle of the night after laying on his stomach for a while. They called it a partial obstruction, meaning the squeaker would move around his stomach and sometimes cause an obstruction, other times he was fine. I'm not saying that's what Bella has, but if there's any chance she could have gotten something, and feeding her before bedtime isn't working, it wouldn't hurt to have them do an x-ray.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
No x-rays yet. The vet told me that if she didn't stop spitting up they'd do bloodwork. If she continues to do it, should I ask for an x-ray versus blood work?

That thing she spit up was about the size of maybe two peach pits. (I can't think of something else the same size--it was bigger than a grape, but not as big as a golf ball.)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
No x-rays yet. The vet told me that if she didn't stop spitting up they'd do bloodwork. If she continues to do it, should I ask for an x-ray versus blood work?

That thing she spit up was about the size of maybe two peach pits. (I can't think of something else the same size--it was bigger than a grape, but not as big as a golf ball.)

Bloodwork won't show an obstruction. Give it a bit and see how she does... bc that could have been the reason & now that its out - it may not happen anymore. But if it does, personally - I'd go xrays.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bloodwork won't show an obstruction. Give it a bit and see how she does... bc that could have been the reason & now that its out - it may not happen anymore. But if it does, personally - I'd go xrays.

OK, thank you! I really, really hope that was it. It shocked me to see that thing when she threw up. Something told me to take a picture, but I just tossed it. This bile vomiting started out of nowhere!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
OK, thank you! I really, really hope that was it. It shocked me to see that thing when she threw up. Something told me to take a picture, but I just tossed it. This bile vomiting started out of nowhere!

That's how it started with Tyson when he had eaten the socks and we didn't know. Bile vomiting, then progressed to full vomiting of all his food, etc. but it took a while and worked its way up ... from bile to vomit. I surely hope that was it too!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
That's how it started with Tyson when he had eaten the socks and we didn't know. Bile vomiting, then progressed to full vomiting of all his food, etc. but it took a while and worked its way up ... from bile to vomit. I surely hope that was it too!

Oh gosh! Bulldogs! :nervous:

sswolfe85

Sep 10, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi, I started a group on facebook to bring awareness to the symptoms of Bravecto as stated by the manufacturer and by owners. Reports by owners are not good. Please consider coming and posting your experience and reporting side effects to the FDA and manufacturer. The studies on this were very poor. Only 226 dogs of which 18 did not make it through the study - one was taken out due to vomiting and one died due to "pre-existing condition" yet it was healthy enough to join the study! The group is "Does Bravecto Kill Dogs?" I hope Bella is doing well now!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi, I started a group on facebook to bring awareness to the symptoms of Bravecto as stated by the manufacturer and by owners. Reports by owners are not good. Please consider coming and posting your experience and reporting side effects to the FDA and manufacturer. The studies on this were very poor. Only 226 dogs of which 18 did not make it through the study - one was taken out due to vomiting and one died due to "pre-existing condition" yet it was healthy enough to join the study! The group is "Does Bravecto Kill Dogs?" I hope Bella is doing well now!
What exactly do you mean when you say "reports by owners are not good"?
My two are on Bravecto. Only had one side effect, one of them threw up the next day and it happened once. I can't even say for certain it was Bravecto. Otherwise, no issues.

I think just about every medication out has the possibility of causing a serious side effect, even death. The question becomes how common is it.

I have yet to hear of Bravecto causing any deaths or even serious side effects since it's been out. There was something going around FB, but nothing to back it up (much like most stories on FB.)
So again, I have to ask, what information are you talking about, and where are you getting it from? I try to stay on top of the meds. my boys are on and I haven't read or heard anything.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yes, please share. Bella is scheduled to get another Bravecto dose in a short while.

Members online

No members online now.