Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Has anyone used the lemon juice method on a brindle or black bully to repel mosquitoes? I don't want to cause her coat to lighten or turn red BUT the mosquitoes around my house are horrendous and since they are attracted to dark colors she's being eaten alive!

I am am using an essential oil blend to repel pests on my dogs but I am concerned about using it daily as I don't want to cause toxicity by applying too often. I was thinking of steeping some lemon juice to spritz on her each time we go out to potty but was afraid it would ruin her beautiful coat. She loves to lay in the sun too!

So, will it lighten/change her coat color? Is there another natural method that would be safe to use?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not sure if it would..... but some one here ha a home mix for repelling bugs -- UGH, can not remember who it was.

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
I know they bother her because they love me too! I HATE mosquitoes. I feel like I have to do something each time we go out to keep them at bay. The essential oil mix we use has lemon oil & lemongrass among other things but the mosquitoes only stay away when it's first applied which is why I was thinking of using a lemon based spritz. I feel like that would be safe for several daily applications but at the he same time I don't want to discolor her beautiful brindle coat or dry it out. I actually used lemon juice to keep my blonde hair bright when I was young and help with natural highlights which is why I wondered about using this method on a brindle girl.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know they bother her because they love me too! I HATE mosquitoes. I feel like I have to do something each time we go out to keep them at bay. The essential oil mix we use has lemon oil & lemongrass among other things but the mosquitoes only stay away when it's first applied which is why I was thinking of using a lemon based spritz. I feel like that would be safe for several daily applications but at the he same time I don't want to discolor her beautiful brindle coat or dry it out. I actually used lemon juice to keep my blonde hair bright when I was young and help with natural highlights which is why I wondered about using this method on a brindle girl.

Here is a thread about the lemon mix.... I'm thinking, you can try a small area and see if it changes her coloring before spraying all over

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/members-only-board/36811-bug-related-question.html

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I started using a homemade remedy this year and let me tell you, I have not had ONE mosquito bite! I spray the dogs in the morning and early evening. I did not use the lemon juice one. I use 4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil, 4 drops of Tea Tree Oil, and 1 cup of distilled or boiled water. Put everything in a spray bottle and spray on dogs and self. I love it and no chemicals. I use it when we are boating also for the horse flies and it is fantastic.

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
I started using a homemade remedy this year and let me tell you, I have not had ONE mosquito bite! I spray the dogs in the morning and early evening. I did not use the lemon juice one. I use 4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil, 4 drops of Tea Tree Oil, and 1 cup of distilled or boiled water. Put everything in a spray bottle and spray on dogs and self. I love it and no chemicals. I use it when we are boating also for the horse flies and it is fantastic.

I guess I just started to worry about over using the essential oils. I bought a premade essential oil mix which said to use before hiking in the woods or once a week as a preventative but I started to worry about daily use. I know essential oils are a great alternative to traditional pesticides (which I no longer use on my girls) but I've read that you also have to be careful as well. I don't know....I am new to using essential oils and my puppy had a few head tremors in 1 week and the only thing I had done differently was use an essential oil based shampoo as well as the essential oil mix for repelling fleas/ticks/mosquitoes. Couldn't help but wonder if I used too much at once.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I guess I just started to worry about over using the essential oils. I bought a premade essential oil mix which said to use before hiking in the woods or once a week as a preventative but I started to worry about daily use. I know essential oils are a great alternative to traditional pesticides (which I no longer use on my girls) but I've read that you also have to be careful as well. I don't know....I am new to using essential oils and my puppy had a few head tremors in 1 week and the only thing I had done differently was use an essential oil based shampoo as well as the essential oil mix for repelling fleas/ticks/mosquitoes. Couldn't help but wonder if I used too much at once.
I'm not sure. I didn't realize they could be over used. I think this would be ok though, because it is diluted. Frankie had a rash in his groin area and I rubbed some lavender oil on it and the next morning it was gone!

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just did a quick research and it said diluted is very safe. You would have to use mass quantities straight for it to be harmful

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We steep lemons and lavender in a pot for a few hours then strain it and put it in a spray bottle to use on Harlea. Been doing it since we got her and it hasn't changed the color of her coat at all.

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
I will give the lemons a try but start with a test patch of fur just to make sure. We are both miserable! Can't wait for The weather to cool off and take these pesky mosquitoes with them. Thanks for all of the suggestions. :D

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have used Avon Skin so Soft bath oil, on dogs and on my horses. Part that, and part water,in a spray bottle. Bugs don't like it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.