Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
We have seen more ticks in the last month than we have in years. At first we were bagging and saving them just incase they were Lyme positive or Bass started showing signs, but it got to the point we were pulling them off a few times a week - most of them dog ticks, but some have been deer. Luckily Bass is almost all white so it's easy to do a check each night...but what a pain in the tuchus! :aaargh:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My vet said that this was supposed to be a killer year for ticks. I usually depend on Sentinel for fleas, but she advised using a topical treatment for both fleas and ticks this year as well.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My guys are on a tick and flea treatment that's supposed to kill ticks within 12-24 hours.

So far, the only ticks I've seen were on me. I had my first tick ever this year. Chris had to use tweezers to get it off.
Luckily I caught it in less than 24 hours.
This was 3 weeks ago.
[MENTION=10681]Laurie[/MENTION] are you from the NY/NJ/CT area? I only hear "tuchus" used by people from the tri-state region.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
If you will put a drop of lighter fluid on the tick, it will let go easily, and you won't run the risk of leaving its head stuck in your skin. It works.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
@nycbullymama - Massachusetts. The winter we just had was a killer for ticks this summer... I just bought a little, blue spray bottle to make a homemade mixture (chemical free)...we'll see how it works. I'm big into vinegar and coconut oil and Bass LOVES his coconut oil! I have read so much about other oils safe for dogs...but my boy has allergies and we battle tear stains constantly. We're finally at an (almost) tear-stain-free phase...I hope it stays that way!

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
[MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] Don't quote me on this...but I read that when ticks have anything put on them (vaseline, oil, hairspray ect...) they regurgitate and release bacteria into the bloodstream...I do not know how accurate this info is, but I've been studying Lyme disease for about 2-3 years...(one of my close friends was diagnosed w/chronic lyme). The safest way to remove is with no oils, chemicals, but just straight needle nose tweezers, getting a tight grip and slowly pull out the head...chances of regurgitation are much less and the head should come out w/that kind of tweeze grip.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
@Donnam Don't quote me on this...but I read that when ticks have anything put on them (vaseline, oil, hairspray ect...) they regurgitate and release bacteria into the bloodstream...I do not know how accurate this info is, but I've been studying Lyme disease for about 2-3 years...(one of my close friends was diagnosed w/chronic lyme). The safest way to remove is with no oils, chemicals, but just straight needle nose tweezers, getting a tight grip and slowly pull out the head...chances of regurgitation are much less and the head should come out w/that kind of tweeze grip.

I am sure you are right about that, as you've obviously done research on the topic. I have not done research. I guess you could say my method is an old wives' tale. The last time I did it was many, many years ago, before anyone knew what Lyme disease was. I stand corrected. :ashamed:

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
My vet said that this was supposed to be a killer year for ticks. I usually depend on Sentinel for fleas, but she advised using a topical treatment for both fleas and ticks this year as well.

Which topical treatment you using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I am sure you are right about that, as you've obviously done research on the topic. I have not done research. I guess you could say my method is an old wives' tale. The last time I did it was many, many years ago, before anyone knew what Lyme disease was. I stand corrected. :ashamed:

no no :mellow:
my "tone" may have come across wrong...this is what I read and go by that advice...I used vaseline and a comb on my beagle/basset hound when I was little (back in the 80's;) to "smother" the tick...I had no clue about Lyme and co-infections back then. I'm overly cautious now (probably from reading too much) I hope I didn't offend you. :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Donnam Don't quote me on this...but I read that when ticks have anything put on them (vaseline, oil, hairspray ect...) they regurgitate and release bacteria into the bloodstream...I do not know how accurate this info is, but I've been studying Lyme disease for about 2-3 years...(one of my close friends was diagnosed w/chronic lyme). The safest way to remove is with no oils, chemicals, but just straight needle nose tweezers, getting a tight grip and slowly pull out the head...chances of regurgitation are much less and the head should come out w/that kind of tweeze grip.

I had a groomer tell me something similar.... I went out and bought a tick remover. It is flat with a hole in the middle, you slide it and slowly pull along the tick and it plucks it out and is on the flat piece so it never touches you
tick%20key.jpg

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
no no :mellow:
my "tone" may have come across wrong...this is what I read and go by that advice...I used vaseline and a comb on my beagle/basset hound when I was little (back in the 80's;) to "smother" the tick...I had no clue about Lyme and co-infections back then. I'm overly cautious now (probably from reading too much) I hope I didn't offend you. :hug:

Laurie, I'm not offended at all, I promise! I'm glad to have the information. That's what's so good about this site--sharing our knowledge with each other to better take care of our kids. And good to know that I could be doing more harm than good by using the lighter fluid! Thank goodness we never have ticks--what hateful critters. I just hope we don't see any this year.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.