Opinions, please, about getting new puppy

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I came across two English Bulldogs, born April 16, for sale. Pics below of them, and parents. I'm a little nervous because the lady selling them is feeding them Puppy Chow! She owns the female who is 5, and her friend owns the male who is also 5. She tells me that she has vet letters of health and that she has registration papers she will email me tomorrow. The price she is asking is $800 less than the typical price in my area. This is the moms only litter. I've made plans to meet the puppies on Thursday. Any thoughts?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dad in last pic. Mom in pic before. The boy has spots on his nose. Girl has solid nose.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I did apply for a rescue but I was told since Tucker is still intact, I would not qualify. He is only 5 months, and u do plan to have him neutered. It's just too early! I would rather have a rescue. I just don't understand because the rescue would be spayed or neutered.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
They look like they are healthy. Why are selling them? If you do buy one you are technically rescuing them, since their owners no longer want them. :(. I would ask the questions regarding health, vaccinations, temperament, behaviour, and training, and before you decide have Tucker and the new dog meet on neutral territory to see if they get along.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Puppy chow would make me want to decline, sorry but that is my honest answer. Cute pups though, but I would be VERY concerned with their future health, as they look to be like a backyard breeder type, and if raised on puppy chow I just couldn't...

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puppy chow would make me want to decline, sorry but that is my honest answer. Cute pups though, but I would be VERY concerned with their future health, as they look to be like a backyard breeder type, and if raised on puppy chow I just couldn't...

That is kind of my thought as well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I also have to wonder why would you be selling puppys for 800 less than normal asking price IF they're good healthy pups. I personally would only buy a pup from a reputable breeder. But if you have considered a rescue these could count as ones too....

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Would be very concerned about the health of the litter. Is this from Craigslist too? People will lie through their teeth on craigslist. I would not be surprised if this wasn't moms only litter. Please please please do not support craigslist backyard breeders :(

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I would go look at them. Doesn't hurt to see them. Nothing says you have to take one home with you. I have been trying for quite some time to adopt a rescue. For some reason I can't even get a reply on my application. It's not a easy task to try to adopt.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I would go look at them. Doesn't hurt to see them. Nothing says you have to take one home with you. I have been trying for quite some time to adopt a rescue. For some reason I can't even get a reply on my application. It's not a easy task to try to adopt.

I've also had issues with rescues. Most of the rescues I contacted before I got Ruckus told me I wouldn't be approved because I didn't own my home and didn't have a backyard. I looked into adopting a rescue as a the 2nd dog after Ruckus and had similar responses to him not being neutered yet. Rescues do great work, but sometimes their rules can be counterproductive.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
i would love to rescue also but everywhere ive put in my application with two different rescues they tell me my application is excellent and i would qualify then its like they fall off the face of the earth, no return phone calls no return emails so i gave up on that idea it frustrates me bc we could give bella play mate and give a bully that needs a home the perfect home love and life. i dont get it. these puppies are cuties though

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So many warning bells going off here but I'll just comment on one of them, 800 is way too low. This whole thing is giving me backyard breeder vibes which usually means a crap load of health issues down the road.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I think I'm being harsh and I do apologize for that, but backyard breeding/puppy mills are a subject I feel very strongly about.

If you do get one of these pups, just be aware that while it may only be 800 bucks now, it could potentially cost you thousands of dollars in the first year alone. (Speaking from experience, frank is a rescue from a puppy mill and has cost about 6 grand in medical bills so far) I would get health insurance on it immediately. Franks insurance is the only reason why my savings have not been totally cleared out.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
One thing to consider, and I'm not sure if I'm correct, but it makes me uneasy -- is this woman is telling you that these dogs are littermates, but they're both white. Even with one parent being all white, having one all white bully, much less TWO, in one litter is rare. So I wonder how truthful she is being with you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.