Opinions, please, about getting new puppy

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Sorry to those who felt I was being too judgemental, but I feel it was worth it if even one person rethinks buying an animal off of Craigslist. Reputable breeding and adoption is obviously a subject I'm very passionate/emotional about and sometimes it gets the best of me. This is not the right discussion to voice such strong opinions, and this message board is probably not the right venue for someone who feels like I do.

I really hope you find tucker a brother or sister Ginger, and again, sorry for the way I reacted to your inquires.

i will see myself out now :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Sorry to those who felt I was being too judgemental, but I feel it was worth it if even one person rethinks buying an animal off of Craigslist. Reputable breeding and adoption is obviously a subject I'm very passionate/emotional about and sometimes it gets the best of me. This is not the right discussion to voice such strong opinions, and this message board is probably not the right venue for someone who feels like I do.

I really hope you find tucker a brother or sister Ginger, and again, sorry for the way I reacted to your inquires.

i will see myself out now :)

No apology necessary, sweet Madie! We know you expressed your opinion with the best of intentions!
And just because I did something different in my case to get Winnie, doesn't mean I don't agree with you
in most cases, because I do. :hug:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
lol @g8erjackie A Bulldog face is hard to resist.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. I am just wanting to hash out my thoughts and others opinions because it is a difficult decision. The puppies are AKC registered, as she has scanned them to me to see. Do you think that makes a difference? I honestly don't know, which is why I ask.

Thanks.

Just to answer your question, Ginger, about AKC registration, if the sire and dam have been registered with AKC, then the puppies can be registered if the owner does the paperwork. It doesn't necessarily mean the dogs are well bred. A guy could breed his male to another guy's female (knowing nothing about breeding) and still register the puppies if the sire and dam are registered. They do not have to do testing for genetic flaws prior to breeding ( i.e. hip dysphasia) or take any such thing into consideration. If you want to show your dog, it has to be AKC registered. If you plan to spay your dog, you will have a certificate in a drawer somewhere showing your dog was AKC registered. In general, it is a way to make sure you are getting a full blooded EB, not one with something else mixed in. You can get a pedigree if your pup is registered, which goes back and tells you about prior generations in your pups background. I didn't care about having papers for Winnie and I was pretty sure she was a full blooded EB. I've had papers for all of my dogs, except for my rescues, and they were useless to me.

One thing to be aware of is that there are a lot of puppy mill puppies on line (I'm sure you know this). They will tell you that their dogs are registered BCA (Bulldog Club of America) which is not the same as AKC at all. Some of these litters are imported from other countries. They don't screen perspective owners, they ship puppies, they meet you somewhere with the puppies and they may well tell you they have the parents and were raised in their home. Of course, the puppies are adorable, but steer clear...

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] I appreciate your opinion and was not upset by you expressing your thoughts. That was what I was hoping for when I started this discussion. I understand that you are passionate about backyard breeders. That is okay. I currently don't have a stance one way or another. I have passed on both of these puppies. I think that was best for my family and myself, including my sweet boy Tucker!

lmmorgan726

Sep 15, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
I totally felt like I "rescued" our Levi & Lexi from their "breeder" (who also shows OEB... Supposedly Dad has placed in some sort of competitions) anyone.... They were outside in disgusting pens with green water!! We got Levi in September last year and kept thinking about Lexi still being in that situation and went back to get her in November last year. There is still another sister there and if I had $400 I would rescue her as well. I paid $400 for Levi and $500 for Lexi and neither are registered. They are AWESOME!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions