Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions, please, about getting new puppy

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Opinions, please, about getting new puppy

@Donnam I got my Henry in a similar way, except I didn't have a clue what to do or ask. I did meet in the parking lot, I didn't ask the questions, and I took him home anyway. Henry has pretty mild allergies. He's not a show dog even though there are several in his lines. Is major "flaw" is a crooked jaw and a worse under bite than usual. I'm a sucker. I'd bring one of those pups home. Lol

2. Likes Mom of Tucker, Donnam liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

@Roseann, Hahaha, it's always best to ask the questions before you see the pups, because once you see them you're a goner!! That goes for any puppies, not just bullies!

Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

@Donnam and @Roseann, I think both of your stories are pretty common in the puppy world. I appreciate you being able to share them and "out" yourselves amongst the Bulldog fans we have here. Of course everyone wants the best for their pet when choosing a puppy. I do not subscribe to one camp or another as far as "backyard breeders" versus those will champion bloodlines. I believe my first love, Shiner, was a combination of the two, as his mom received AI, and she was no champion, but the dad was. The mom was owned by the wife of a veterinarian, so I thought it was a sure bet. Turns out, I got burned and my heart broke as a result.

I have decided not to purchase either of these pups being weaned on Puppy Chow. I appreciate those of you who got me to see both sides of the big picture.

Keep watching, though, Tucker may have a new sister girl soon

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

5. Likes Cali Doll, Donnam liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I truly wish you luck in finding the right fit, the right bulldog.
    Hug your bully today

7. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Everyone has an opinion, and mine is that people can get a little judgy. Go see the puppies, Ginger. I know I would! Make the decision based on your gut, and you should be OK!

They sure are cuties!!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

9. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Tucker View Post
    @Donnam and @Roseann, I think both of your stories are pretty common in the puppy world. I appreciate you being able to share them and "out" yourselves amongst the Bulldog fans we have here. Of course everyone wants the best for their pet when choosing a puppy. I do not subscribe to one camp or another as far as "backyard breeders" versus those will champion bloodlines. I believe my first love, Shiner, was a combination of the two, as his mom received AI, and she was no champion, but the dad was. The mom was owned by the wife of a veterinarian, so I thought it was a sure bet. Turns out, I got burned and my heart broke as a result.

I have decided not to purchase either of these pups being weaned on Puppy Chow. I appreciate those of you who got me to see both sides of the big picture.

Keep watching, though, Tucker may have a new sister girl soon

You'll find the little one that's meant for your family.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to those who felt I was being too judgemental, but I feel it was worth it if even one person rethinks buying an animal off of Craigslist. Reputable breeding and adoption is obviously a subject I'm very passionate/emotional about and sometimes it gets the best of me. This is not the right discussion to voice such strong opinions, and this message board is probably not the right venue for someone who feels like I do.

I really hope you find tucker a brother or sister Ginger, and again, sorry for the way I reacted to your inquires.

i will see myself out now

12. Likes 2BullyMama, Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    Sorry to those who felt I was being too judgemental, but I feel it was worth it if even one person rethinks buying an animal off of Craigslist. Reputable breeding and adoption is obviously a subject I'm very passionate/emotional about and sometimes it gets the best of me. This is not the right discussion to voice such strong opinions, and this message board is probably not the right venue for someone who feels like I do.

I really hope you find tucker a brother or sister Ginger, and again, sorry for the way I reacted to your inquires.

i will see myself out now
    No apology necessary, sweet Madie! We know you expressed your opinion with the best of intentions!
    And just because I did something different in my case to get Winnie, doesn't mean I don't agree with you
    in most cases, because I do.

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Tucker View Post
    lol @g8erjackie A Bulldog face is hard to resist.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. I am just wanting to hash out my thoughts and others opinions because it is a difficult decision. The puppies are AKC registered, as she has scanned them to me to see. Do you think that makes a difference? I honestly don't know, which is why I ask.

Thanks.
    Just to answer your question, Ginger, about AKC registration, if the sire and dam have been registered with AKC, then the puppies can be registered if the owner does the paperwork. It doesn't necessarily mean the dogs are well bred. A guy could breed his male to another guy's female (knowing nothing about breeding) and still register the puppies if the sire and dam are registered. They do not have to do testing for genetic flaws prior to breeding ( i.e. hip dysphasia) or take any such thing into consideration. If you want to show your dog, it has to be AKC registered. If you plan to spay your dog, you will have a certificate in a drawer somewhere showing your dog was AKC registered. In general, it is a way to make sure you are getting a full blooded EB, not one with something else mixed in. You can get a pedigree if your pup is registered, which goes back and tells you about prior generations in your pups background. I didn't care about having papers for Winnie and I was pretty sure she was a full blooded EB. I've had papers for all of my dogs, except for my rescues, and they were useless to me.

One thing to be aware of is that there are a lot of puppy mill puppies on line (I'm sure you know this). They will tell you that their dogs are registered BCA (Bulldog Club of America) which is not the same as AKC at all. Some of these litters are imported from other countries. They don't screen perspective owners, they ship puppies, they meet you somewhere with the puppies and they may well tell you they have the parents and were raised in their home. Of course, the puppies are adorable, but steer clear...

16. Likes Cali Doll, Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

@madie4589 I appreciate your opinion and was not upset by you expressing your thoughts. That was what I was hoping for when I started this discussion. I understand that you are passionate about backyard breeders. That is okay. I currently don't have a stance one way or another. I have passed on both of these puppies. I think that was best for my family and myself, including my sweet boy Tucker!

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

18. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Levi
    Likes (Received)

I totally felt like I "rescued" our Levi & Lexi from their "breeder" (who also shows OEB... Supposedly Dad has placed in some sort of competitions) anyone.... They were outside in disgusting pens with green water!! We got Levi in September last year and kept thinking about Lexi still being in that situation and went back to get her in November last year. There is still another sister there and if I had $400 I would rescue her as well. I paid $400 for Levi and $500 for Lexi and neither are registered. They are AWESOME!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads