Winslow's day at the vet

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
He went from lazy to lethargic, to basically arthritic in a matter of days. :( At first we figured it was a sour tummy due to his mom (ever loving, yet forgetful i am) missing the store when we ran out of his food, and making his meals on Friday.
But he just got more lazy, to a point where walking up or down stairs was a huge struggle for him. Last night he felt warm, and started limping when he did try to walk.
I spoke with a vet tech and she said i could bring him in, but that it could probably wait until morning. Well morning came and he would not get up! I would not wait 3 hours for him to be seen, so instead I picked him up to standing, got him in the car and took him for an emergency visit (which they said i could do, and which the receptionist later said i was right to do when i told her what an idiot i thought i was being!).

2.5 hours later :rofl: it was determined that he had a fever and should have some bloodwork done - pancreatitis was the main concern, she didn't suspect it but wanted to rule it out entirely. I left him there (god was that hard for me), while they gave him some meds and fluids.

Thankfully his results came back fine - only thing is his white cell count was a little high. They sent me home with carafate and metronidazole.

I guess what it came down to was flu-like symptoms. Funny that i can anthropomorphize just about anything, yet i never put fever and achy muscles/joints together! The stories that i DID put together.... I was ready for surgeries and doggy wheel chairs, and worse.

He's okay now - still feels a little warm and is definitely still kind of weak. His breathing is a little shallow but for now i will chalk that up to the busy day he's had, and let him rest.

He wants me, and i won't say it doesn't warm my heart a little.

0a9dec300ee6b962478116da3742f9ea.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh poor Winslow baby. I am so happy you got him to the vet and got him some meds. And also that it wasn't anything serious. Tyson is just now recouping from a bad spell of food poisoning (what we suspect) since he was eating raw and they had a recall right at the time he fell sick.

Cuddle that baby, love on him, he just wants his momma. I am praying those meds make him feel better soon, please keep us posted. PS they also checked Tyson for pancreatitis, and he's on metronidazole now too.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh my goodness [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] ! How awful. :( What were his symptoms? I feel like i started to read a thread about that? Poor Ty, i hope he recovers from that soon.

And yes he's getting whatever love he wants to take. Not all of it haha, but he seems to want to at least be near me. He's been restless so I'm trying not to make it worse in case he's about to settle.

Thank you [MENTION=11987]Christie H[/MENTION]. I think he'll be fine. :heart:

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
He went from lazy to lethargic, to basically arthritic in a matter of days. :( At first we figured it was a sour tummy due to his mom (ever loving, yet forgetful i am) missing the store when we ran out of his food, and making his meals on Friday.
But he just got more lazy, to a point where walking up or down stairs was a huge struggle for him. Last night he felt warm, and started limping when he did try to walk.
I spoke with a vet tech and she said i could bring him in, but that it could probably wait until morning. Well morning came and he would not get up! I would not wait 3 hours for him to be seen, so instead I picked him up to standing, got him in the car and took him for an emergency visit (which they said i could do, and which the receptionist later said i was right to do when i told her what an idiot i thought i was being!).

2.5 hours later :rofl: it was determined that he had a fever and should have some bloodwork done - pancreatitis was the main concern, she didn't suspect it but wanted to rule it out entirely. I left him there (god was that hard for me), while they gave him some meds and fluids.

Thankfully his results came back fine - only thing is his white cell count was a little high. They sent me home with carafate and metronidazole.

I guess what it came down to was flu-like symptoms. Funny that i can anthropomorphize just about anything, yet i never put fever and achy muscles/joints together! The stories that i DID put together.... I was ready for surgeries and doggy wheel chairs, and worse.

He's okay now - still feels a little warm and is definitely still kind of weak. His breathing is a little shallow but for now i will chalk that up to the busy day he's had, and let him rest.

He wants me, and i won't say it doesn't warm my heart a little.

0a9dec300ee6b962478116da3742f9ea.jpg
Such a handsome boy! I'm sure you won't have any trouble lovin on him! Sorry he's not feeling well but glad to hear that surgeries and wheelchairs are not needed!

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Good job for getting him in quickly! I hope Winslow has a speedy recovery and is back to his old self soon!
Thanks so much!

Feel better buddy
Thank you :D he's getting there

Such a handsome boy! I'm sure you won't have any trouble lovin on him! Sorry he's not feeling well but glad to hear that surgeries and wheelchairs are not needed!
Haha yes I'm happy for that too.
And poor boy just can't escape my smooshing hands and baby talk sometimes, but he secretly enjoys it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my goodness [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] ! How awful. :( What were his symptoms? I feel like i started to read a thread about that? Poor Ty, i hope he recovers from that soon.

And yes he's getting whatever love he wants to take. Not all of it haha, but he seems to want to at least be near me. He's been restless so I'm trying not to make it worse in case he's about to settle.

Thank you [MENTION=11987]Christie H[/MENTION]. I think he'll be fine. :heart:

Yeah me too. He's much better but still has bad diarrhea :(

His symptoms from the food where severe vomiting. A lot of vomit & projectile at times. It was full of bile after all the food was up. I now have 2 massive bright yellow bile stains on center of living room. And just for the forum record - those are not removable. Oh well, area rug is next purchase. Lol

Is he feeling any better? I know it's only been a few hours but just checking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Ohhh man that sucks :(
If it's any consolation he left some bright diarrhea on our tan rug in the dining room haha. Right now I'm just pretending it's not there hHa.

Actually he is feeling better! Last night he got up to greet my husband when he came home from work and he even grabbed his antler for a little bit too. So those were huge.
This morning he's still a little slow and weak but he doesn't feel warm to me. Hey he's NOT scaring the crap out of me and is walking without much difficulty so yes, definitely improvement. :)

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
:eek: Oh i definitely made that sound like i never cleaned up his mess! Ew!!!
No i meant I'm pretending the stain is not there. :rofl:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
If it's any consolation he left some bright diarrhea on our tan rug in the dining room haha. Right now I'm just pretending it's not there hHa.

Actually he is feeling better! Last night he got up to greet my husband when he came home from work and he even grabbed his antler for a little bit too. So those were huge.
This morning he's still a little slow and weak but he doesn't feel warm to me. Hey he's NOT scaring the crap out of me and is walking without much difficulty so yes, definitely improvement. :)

So happy he's coming around!! He should be all better in just a few days. Yes, Tyson's diarrhea is bright yellow/orange - its gross. We go in today for his second adequan injection so I'm asking if that normal with the meds :ohmy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So happy to hear he is improving --- keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.