neighbor dog troubles

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
we got some new neighbors last week. they own a beautiful GSD, unfortunately this dog is not very well-behaved... they have a tiny fenced in back yard that they let him run around in. and a small chain-link fence separates us from him. when the GSD gets up on his hind legs he clears the fence. he could jump it if he really wanted to.

the barking has woken us up several times late at night and early in the morning as well.

every time I take frank out to potty the dog is out there barking his head off. pacing along the fence line staring us down. eventually it'll get up on it's hind legs and start lunging at us. it really seems to intimidate frank and I try to act like I'm not bothered because I don't want to stress frank out more, but it really is scary!! it's gotten to the point where frank won't poop unless the dog isn't out there. ugh.

anyway, things came to a head last night when I walked outside with frank and the dog immediately started barking and lunging at us. the wife was outside on the phone and as I came out I said something like "oh come on!" and she just said "sorry!" and hurried back inside leaving the dog outside lunging at us!! so that was it, I took frank in and walked over to talk to her. unfortunately the husband intercepted me in the driveway and basically said his dog is a big teddy bear and wouldn't hurt anyone. I explained every issue we had, the barking, lunging, intimidating, and he just brushed it all off.

my boyfriend says there's not much we can do in the situation... and I can't really think of any other options to take. I'm not sure if we have neighborhood quiet hours. I want to talk to the wife, but I also don't want to seem like a crazy person. but the barking is really driving both of us nuts. not to mention the thing is scaring my little frank :(

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Around me if you feel threatened by someones dog you can call the city or county to look in to it if needed. As for quiet hours that is usually a state/city or county thing. Typically it is something like 10pm to 6am Sunday through Thursday and 12am to 6am Fridays and Saturdays. If people are being stupid during those hours or their animals making too much noise you can call the cops for disturbing the peace. So check with a cop in your area as they should be able to give you specifics.

Gussesdad

Jul 6, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Forgive me. What is GSD? If the husband said the dog was a teddy bear, maybe it's best to ask if Frank could come over let them sniff around and what not. Keep a close eye on them obviously. Who knows maybe the crazy neighbor dog hasn't been in a neighborhood environment and that's why he's barking all the time. Maybe him and Frank will be buddies once they get to know each other.

Sent from my iPhone

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
GSD I believe you are referring to as German Shepherd Dog? While the husband refers to his dog as a teddy bear, I will not take chances. Those are powerful animals. We have a situation in the neighborhood where a pekingese (these dogs don't know how small they are) was barking at a GSD on the other side of the road. The dog lunges and got away from it's owner and attacked and bit the small dog. The owner fortunately was able to pull him immediately but left a bite mark and I saw a cut on the other dog. The owner was stunned and utterred "OH MY,MY DOG HAS NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE" Well now he does. They may be meek and mild around you but you don't know how they are around dogs. Dogs are often not particularly fond of bulldogs because of the "LOOK", the teeth sticking out, the no tail, snorting, grunting noise which other breed see as intimidating. I will not take chances.

As for the noise, you can call the authorities and report a nuissance complaint. This will prompt the owners to keep their dog during wee hrs. during sleep time.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I just hate when people get dogs and leave them in the backyard! That is the best way to ruin a dog's temperament there is. [MENTION=14467]Gussesdad[/MENTION], a GSD is a German Shepard. German Shepards usually seem to get along well with other dogs. If the neighbor says he gets along with other dogs, maybe you could introduce them, maybe in the front on leashes and see what happens. I know, easy for me to say! It would be scary to do if the GS really seems aggressive. If he spends so much time in the yard, he must be very lonely--maybe he wants attention.

I have a next door neighbor who spends a lot of time in his driveway (right next to our back fence) working on his motorcycle or truck or something that makes a lot of noise. It is beyond irritating when Winnie is looking for a place to poop and he makes a loud noise. She won't poop then. Otherwise they are great neighbors and don't complain when my dogs hear something and start barking. I know what you mean [MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] about the pooping problem!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella is another with poop sensitivities. If she hears a loud noise or something else distracting, she will wait to poop.

I also have a neighbor with a GSD mix. He looks just like a GSD, though. He also lunges and jumps at Bella. To his defense, Bella goes crazy over him, too. My neighbor and I have tried to let them play together, but the GSD doesn't submit during play. He stays on top and dominates to the point of hurting Bella. He doesn't do it intentionally; I think it's in his nature.

I'd be careful about letting Frank play with the GSD, Madie.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
And now that I've read [MENTION=12554]harveyspecter[/MENTION]'s post, I think he may be right. It is true that some dogs just don't like bullies. I have heard that part of the reason is that bulldogs use their eyes more than long nosed breeds, tending to stare which other dogs misinterpret. Maybe he doesn't like Frank's face or who knows. It would be nice if they could get along, but don't do it if you feel it's too risky. Good luck!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think it's a good idea to introduce them (but keep them both on leads). They're neighbors. The GS might even stop barking once he knows Frank. At least it couldn't hurt.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank

Wow! It’s crazy for me to read all of this because I have always felt that some dogs didn’t really like frank. I just thought it was because he looks different. bulldogs don’t look like a ‘common’ dog... shepard or lab at all of course, so I attributed it to that. All frank does is stare. he’s a slow mover most of the time and when he sees something interesting he just stops and stares. that’s got to be what’s putting some dogs off to him.

I'm torn about introducing them. I don't have much practice with that, especially since the GSD already has me on edge and scared. Based on the way the GSD is acting now I’m certain he wants attention… maybe I can meet the dog first without frank.

Honestly I was just upset that the wife ran inside and let her dog keep lunging and barking at us, I would’ve immediately taken frank inside if he was doing something like that.

thank you for all the advice and for sharing similar stories. I’ve never had neighbor troubles before and wasn’t really sure how to handle it!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
That's a good idea for you to meet the GSD first without Frank--maybe then you will have more of a feel for what to do, [MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION].

I believe it was on Ceasar Milan that I saw about bulldogs relying on their eyes more than other dogs and he said it's because short bully noses don't smell as well as long nosed dogs. If true, it's interesting and would explain why some dogs don't like our bulldogs. There is a sweet senior lab in our neighborhood who has a window in his back fence. When I walk with only Jack, he comes up to the window all friendly, wagging his tail and happy to see Jack. We walked by there once with Winnie and when the lab saw her at the window he started growling and barking like crazy--it was a little scary.

One of Winnie's best friends is a GSD. My vet has one she brings to work with her and she and Winnie play great together.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would not let them meet. We have our yard fenced in with 6ft stockade fencing. We have a Rottweiler on on side and a PitBull on the other. Brutus was never a problem. When we got Frankie, he is very friendly, but likes to guard his yard so if the other dogs were out, he would run the fencing essentially annoying everyone and I am sure the neighbors did not appreciate it very much. I felt since my dog was the problem, I went out and bought additional 6ft stockade fencing to double fence the yard so Frankie could not see the other dogs through the cracks in the fence. It eliminated the running and barking and showed the neighbors that we cared about their peace an quiet while they tried to enjoy their yard and dog. Maybe you can suggest this? They could do the side that borders your yard and theirs. Or is you don't want to deal with them, just fence the side yourself.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
one more option, put up a thicker wooden fence to block sight lines and reduce noise. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I would also go talk to the wife, she may not know how you feel about things (some people are blind unless directly told things).

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Just as a suggestion...if the barking is keeping Frank from going potty, I'm wondering if you have the option to set up a privacy fence. I know it stinks to take the short end of the stick but it might make Frank more comfortable. Also, this GSD might be a little on edge and excited about his new home and maybe even a little anxious. He may settle down in time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] I have just read your post about the neighbor's and their Shepherd. If I were you-the best bet is to put up a high non see through fence. I have had German Shepherds, and hearing about the owners of this one-sounds like the kind that wind up in court because their dog,"who doesn't bite" had seriously hurt someone's dog, or child. My shepherds were worked with a lot,but they were protective,and most are just naturally that way-more so than doberman's and many other larger breeds. I, personally would NOT try to introduce Frank and that dog. I truly believe one day that dog will get over the fence,and hurt Frank. You can tell by the type of barking and body language, if it is barking because things are new, or barking/dangerous. It just sounds like the neighbors are just the type that shouldn't have that kind of dog.
Don't get me wrong, I love GS's but they have been the most "serious" dogs I have ever had. Be careful.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
When I wrote my last post, I started to put something in it--then erased it because it sounded too harsh. What if you introduce them and the GS really, really hates Frank? Then he might be more likely to jump the fence and hurt Frank. It could make things worse.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.