Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: neighbor dog troubles

thank you for all the suggestions!

A little update:
    We are not in the position to put up a fence as we do not own the home. we are in the process of building our own home (which is a whole other beast!! haha) and are just renting this place. I contacted our landlord to see if he knew about neighborhood quiet hours. the barking has really become annoying. I know dogs bark and I would be fine with it, but I work long hours and I can’t keep getting woken up at 10pm because he’s outside barking his head off.

I have seen the wife outside with the dog once more and I called over to her to see if she would talk and she hurried inside. there’s been no change with the early/late hours they’re leaving the dog outside. and the dog is still getting up on its hind legs at the fence and barking/lunging at us. I really can’t tell if it’s a ‘pay attention to me’ thing or a ‘i want to wring your little bulldogs neck’ thing. I absolutely don’t want to go over to the fence and engage the dog without the owner present. still not sure what to do. I might go over and try to plea my case to the wife but it seems like the husband is always there, and if they’ve continued to let the dog bark at late/early hours, it seems like they ignored my first request for quiet time.

frank is doing okay, he still has not pooped when the dog is outside and has just been staring, but I try to redirect him as best I can. at least he will pee. but we do hear the dog barking when we’re inside and I see frank’s little ears go back when he hears it. I’m hoping he’ll get used to it or ignore it soon.

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Every bulldog I've had has been terribly nosey and Winnie may be the worst! She has to examine the contents of any bag that comes in the house. When I cook, she stands on her back toes with her paws on the edge of the counter watching me. She follows me everywhere and tries to insert herself into everything I do. Love my little helper though, even though she slows me down.
    this is so frank! 100%. they really are so alike. I even have a funny little video on my instagram of frank on his hind legs watching me chop vegetables in the kitchen lol

3. Likes Donnam liked this post
    Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

Good luck, it is such a tricky and annoying situation you are now in, I certainly wouldn't engage the dog on your own or in its yard at all. Hopefully you can talk to them as suggested maybe going around to the front of the house and try and talk to them again. Again good luck, as much as I love dogs, you certainly don't want one barking all the time and lunging, hopefully something can be worked out for you
    I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Well, Madie, at least you're building a house so this isn't a permanent situation!

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

I think you're taking the right steps. These situations are tricky. I don't know that I'd introduce the dogs immediately, but it would be worth it for you to meet the GSD so maybe he'll feel more comfortable. GSD's are more protective my nature like others have said and even though you were there first technically, he might just be protecting his territory. If he's left outside so much, I doubt he has much training. This would worry me when introducing the dogs because if they do get into a scuffle it may be hard to separate them. Also, I know the GSD's owner (husband) said he's a teddy bear, and he may be with his family, but they aren't known for their teddy bear status with strangers. I sound harsh and I'm by trying to discriminate by breed, my parents have Great Pyrenes and they're sweet as can be to our family, but they don't take well to strangers in their yard or even walking by....and te male isn't good with other dogs, he tolerates Ruckus if my stepmom or Myself is around, but I wouldn't leave them unsupervised. Shame because the female loves Ruckus and they play great. And I've gone off on my normal tangent. Anyway, stay safe and I hope they bring the poor GSD inside!!!

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    thank you for all the suggestions!

A little update:
    We are not in the position to put up a fence as we do not own the home. we are in the process of building our own home (which is a whole other beast!! haha) and are just renting this place. I contacted our landlord to see if he knew about neighborhood quiet hours. the barking has really become annoying. I know dogs bark and I would be fine with it, but I work long hours and I can’t keep getting woken up at 10pm because he’s outside barking his head off.

I have seen the wife outside with the dog once more and I called over to her to see if she would talk and she hurried inside. there’s been no change with the early/late hours they’re leaving the dog outside. and the dog is still getting up on its hind legs at the fence and barking/lunging at us. I really can’t tell if it’s a ‘pay attention to me’ thing or a ‘i want to wring your little bulldogs neck’ thing. I absolutely don’t want to go over to the fence and engage the dog without the owner present. still not sure what to do. I might go over and try to plea my case to the wife but it seems like the husband is always there, and if they’ve continued to let the dog bark at late/early hours, it seems like they ignored my first request for quiet time.

frank is doing okay, he still has not pooped when the dog is outside and has just been staring, but I try to redirect him as best I can. at least he will pee. but we do hear the dog barking when we’re inside and I see frank’s little ears go back when he hears it. I’m hoping he’ll get used to it or ignore it soon.
    how long will you be in this house? The wife seems to be disinterested so try the husband again, but overall, GSD's need a job and if they do not have one, they become anxious and uncontrollable, which appears to be the case here. A GSD need to interact and know they are performing a task, which it seems this family is not doing any of that with the pup (poor fella is screwed). If I were you, I'd stay away from the GSD unless the hubby is there, wife like I said seems disconnected
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

9. Likes Manydogs liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads