Thread: neighbor dog troubles

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: neighbor dog troubles

Just as a suggestion...if the barking is keeping Frank from going potty, I'm wondering if you have the option to set up a privacy fence. I know it stinks to take the short end of the stick but it might make Frank more comfortable. Also, this GSD might be a little on edge and excited about his new home and maybe even a little anxious. He may settle down in time.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

2. Likes bullmama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@madie4589 I have just read your post about the neighbor's and their Shepherd. If I were you-the best bet is to put up a high non see through fence. I have had German Shepherds, and hearing about the owners of this one-sounds like the kind that wind up in court because their dog,"who doesn't bite" had seriously hurt someone's dog, or child. My shepherds were worked with a lot,but they were protective,and most are just naturally that way-more so than doberman's and many other larger breeds. I, personally would NOT try to introduce Frank and that dog. I truly believe one day that dog will get over the fence,and hurt Frank. You can tell by the type of barking and body language, if it is barking because things are new, or barking/dangerous. It just sounds like the neighbors are just the type that shouldn't have that kind of dog.
    Don't get me wrong, I love GS's but they have been the most "serious" dogs I have ever had. Be careful.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes TyTysmom, bullmama, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

When I wrote my last post, I started to put something in it--then erased it because it sounded too harsh. What if you introduce them and the GS really, really hates Frank? Then he might be more likely to jump the fence and hurt Frank. It could make things worse.

6. Likes Manydogs, bullmama liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post

Wow! Itís crazy for me to read all of this because I have always felt that some dogs didnít really like frank. I just thought it was because he looks different. bulldogs donít look like a Ďcommoní dog... shepard or lab at all of course, so I attributed it to that. All frank does is stare. heís a slow mover most of the time and when he sees something interesting he just stops and stares. thatís got to be whatís putting some dogs off to him.

I'm torn about introducing them. I don't have much practice with that, especially since the GSD already has me on edge and scared. Based on the way the GSD is acting now Iím certain he wants attentionÖ maybe I can meet the dog first without frank.

Honestly I was just upset that the wife ran inside and let her dog keep lunging and barking at us, I wouldíve immediately taken frank inside if he was doing something like that.

thank you for all the advice and for sharing similar stories. Iíve never had neighbor troubles before and wasnít really sure how to handle it!

OMG, they are all the same aren't they. Harvey likes to stare, in a good way. He does this with peeps. If he see's you on the street, he will stare you down not in a bad way but he wants serious petting from you. Now from a dog's perspective, they might see this as a challenge when they are being stared down.
    Hug your bully today

8. Likes TyTysmom, bullmama liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it's considered bad manners to stare in "dog."

10. Likes TyTysmom, Manydogs liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Yes, it's considered bad manners to stare in "dog."

I think bulldogs are just nosey. Tyson is ALWAYS all up in peoples business - he will stop dead in his tracks to stare, wag his tail, look to see what someone is doing. No matter what. And he won't move or continue walking unless 1. he gets a pet 2. the people ignore him and leave or go inside or 3. I literally have to pull him! Thankfully everyone in the neighborhood knows him well so they do come pet him. LOL

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

Just by the reaction of the neighbors, you can tell, they won't do anything about their dog. I would put up a 6 to 8 foot non-see through fence ASAP. I also would not introduce my dog to their dog.

That old saying "fences make good neighbors" is so true. I willingly and 100% at my expense, built a 30 foot long block wall fence along my driveway to keep from going all Hatfield & McCoys on my neighbors. Since I'm not planning on moving any time soon, was well worth it and it's been great on my stress level.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I'm usually the voice of dissent so here goes nothing-

Personally, before building any fences I would talk with them and meet their dog. You are neighbors and I'm sure you'd like to keep the peace. No harm can come out of introducing yourself, meeting their dog and explaining what's going on.
    If they're a$$e$, put up that fence- but they may surprise you.

14. Likes Donnam, bullmama, Gussesdad, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I think @nycbullymama does make a good point about talking with the neighbors and meeting their dog. Bring them some cookies and a treat for the dog to welcome them to the neighborhood. Be very careful when you talk to them. You don't want some kind of feud to develop. Good luck Madie!

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I think bulldogs are just nosey. Tyson is ALWAYS all up in peoples business - he will stop dead in his tracks to stare, wag his tail, look to see what someone is doing. No matter what. And he won't move or continue walking unless 1. he gets a pet 2. the people ignore him and leave or go inside or 3. I literally have to pull him! Thankfully everyone in the neighborhood knows him well so they do come pet him. LOL
    Every bulldog I've had has been terribly nosey and Winnie may be the worst! She has to examine the contents of any bag that comes in the house. When I cook, she stands on her back toes with her paws on the edge of the counter watching me. She follows me everywhere and tries to insert herself into everything I do. Love my little helper though, even though she slows me down.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    I'm usually the voice of dissent so here goes nothing-

Personally, before building any fences I would talk with them and meet their dog. You are neighbors and I'm sure you'd like to keep the peace. No harm can come out of introducing yourself, meeting their dog and explaining what's going on.
    If they're a$$e$, put up that fence- but they may surprise you.
    I agree with this.

I'm a firm believer that it's a lot of how the dog is raised, then treated. I grew up with German shepherds and Rottweilers, and they have all been well behaved, and super obedient. Sounds to me like the problem is the owners. Leaving a dog unsupervised in a back yard is a huge red flag, who knows what other bad habits they have turned a blind eye to, and created.

Try and play nice first, explain your concerns, and if that doesn't work, reassess the situation. You catch more bee's with honey then you do vinegar, but you might find that you're not into bee catching

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

My neighbor got a pit bull about 8 months ago. I could tell from the beginning that the wife was good with the dog, the hisband has no clue and the father in law is overly mean to him. I'm quite nervous about him so my theory is I'm gonna be the greatest friend to the dog. He loved to come to our yard at first but if I'd go outside he would be terrified and run away. So I stated out by leaving treats for him and going back inside. Finally he would let me pet him and take treats from me. He now comes over just for affection and gets along with 2 of my dogs. Rootbeer is a little nervous of him and don't like him in our yard most of the time but it's ok if I'm outside with them. I made sure that my daughter did the same thing so when he escaped the yard he runs to us and wants to be petted and hopes for a treat and a dog friend to play with. Possibly you should go out alone with some yummy treats and start to make friends without frank then slowly let them become friends on your terms, through the fence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads