Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gonna have to go vets i feel

Default gonna have to go vets i feel

archies 6 months and his tear stains are as bad as ever ,ive tried all different foods to try to illuminate if its down to anything with no success at all ,i wipe twice daily etc etc its driving me potty ,he shows no signs of allergies now ie licking etc etc hes been on raw ,wainwrights ,now hes on royal canin bulldog ,but no change ,somebody suggested its down to teething aswell ??? so gonna go vets to do allergy test ,his right eye is alot worse than left ,but carnt see any inverted eye lashes etc ,plus he doesnt seem to rub it as if its no problem

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: gonna have to go vets i feel

Hi Paul, have you tried giving him filtered water? Sometimes tear stains can be caused by the tap water. Also what type of bowls do you use, plastic or stainless steel? Plastic bowls can harbour bacteria that can irritate the face.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)

Have you try'd wafcol salmon & potato? Its hypo allergenic, when I had my bullie on it his tearing cleared up.

hi i feed them out of ceramic bowls and as for filtered water do you mean buy bottled

Real Name
    Marlene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dually
    Likes (Received)

We also had issues with tear stains since Dually is pure white, we switched to the Fromm Four-Star grain free food line and his tear stains have completely cleared up. He also had a problem with his left eye tearing all the time, this went on for over a month. We tried all sorts of drops and nothing. We took extra care wiping around his eye with a warm wet cloth, we would make sure to wipe the top lashes up and the bottom down... he must have had a lash in his eye that no one could see after a few days it cleared up on it's own. Best to get it checked out just in case. Good luck with your little Archie .

~ Nothing compares to a bulldogs love ~

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stott View Post
    hi i feed them out of ceramic bowls and as for filtered water do you mean buy bottled
    Brita would be a start probably. Or something like Instapure

1 x HOME TAP FAUCET WATER FILTER PURIFIER INSTAPURE F2 ESSENTIALS not inline jug | eBay

Personally, I think bottled water is a big con, but again, that is just me. We have a filter system under the sink as Houston water tastes awful! It does help a lot. Before that we used Brita.

Monty has tear stains and they are finally clearing up after changing his food but it has taken a good 3 months to see any improvement. It won't happen overnight.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

ok thanks and will look into this filtered water thing thank you

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Filtered water does help, plus Royal Canin, isn't that good of a food either. If he is rubbing his eye, he could have an eye lash that is irritating his eyes.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Paul, From what I understand, 6 months is too young to test for allergies. Others might have more info on that than me but if I remember correctly you have also been changing his food around quite a bit. I thought he was on raw from your previous posts. What happened to make you change to Royal Canin? As Davidh said Royal Canin is not that great. As I mentioned earlier, Monty has tear stains and they are going but it has taken quite a while for that to happen. One of his eyes was worse than the other too. I would really try to give any food change a chance to work although perhaps a different one than Royal Canin. There is another dog food in the UK (grain free) that I came across that you may want to check out if you are not satisfied with the others. I am not familiar with it as I don't believe they had it before I moved here. Product Range - Laughing Dog One problem I do see with this food however is it contains chicken so if Archie has issues with chicken this is not the food for him. Good luck.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

yes, teething does add to the tearing/stains. My guy, Lambeau, is 8 months and has tear stains, I really do not like it, but I have accepted that they will most likely be there till he is at least one. If they are still an issue at that time, I will look to switch foods but for the next 4 months, I am sucking it up.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

13. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I use Miracle Care Tear Stain Remover, you can find it at EntirelyPets.com it is a 4oz bottle. I use this on My Elmo Boy, he is all white, and he does not have tear stains now. He eats Fromm Beef Frittata Veg. dry food, and Canidae Canned food chicken and rice about 1tablespoon mixed in with his Fromm Dry Food. I do change the flavor of his dry food sometimes.

yes he was on raw and seemed to enjoy it ,but then one day he was really sick and i think it put him of as he didnt or wouldnt go near it again ,but his tear stains was still a problem with that ,i think what i will do is leave him on this for a few months just to see how he gets on what do you think ?? why or what is so bad about royal canin ?? it is one of the dearer foods on the market

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads