Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
archies 6 months and his tear stains are as bad as ever ,ive tried all different foods to try to illuminate if its down to anything with no success at all ,i wipe twice daily etc etc its driving me potty ,he shows no signs of allergies now ie licking etc etc hes been on raw ,wainwrights ,now hes on royal canin bulldog ,but no change ,somebody suggested its down to teething aswell ??? so gonna go vets to do allergy test ,his right eye is alot worse than left ,but carnt see any inverted eye lashes etc ,plus he doesnt seem to rub it as if its no problem :(:(:(:(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Paul, have you tried giving him filtered water? Sometimes tear stains can be caused by the tap water. Also what type of bowls do you use, plastic or stainless steel? Plastic bowls can harbour bacteria that can irritate the face.

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Have you try'd wafcol salmon & potato? Its hypo allergenic, when I had my bullie on it his tearing cleared up.

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
hi i feed them out of ceramic bowls and as for filtered water do you mean buy bottled

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
We also had issues with tear stains since Dually is pure white, we switched to the Fromm Four-Star grain free food line and his tear stains have completely cleared up. He also had a problem with his left eye tearing all the time, this went on for over a month. We tried all sorts of drops and nothing. We took extra care wiping around his eye with a warm wet cloth, we would make sure to wipe the top lashes up and the bottom down... he must have had a lash in his eye that no one could see after a few days it cleared up on it's own. Best to get it checked out just in case. Good luck with your little Archie :).

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
hi i feed them out of ceramic bowls and as for filtered water do you mean buy bottled

Brita would be a start probably. Or something like Instapure

1 x HOME TAP FAUCET WATER FILTER PURIFIER INSTAPURE F2 ESSENTIALS not inline jug | eBay

Personally, I think bottled water is a big con, but again, that is just me. We have a filter system under the sink as Houston water tastes awful! It does help a lot. Before that we used Brita.

Monty has tear stains and they are finally clearing up after changing his food but it has taken a good 3 months to see any improvement. It won't happen overnight.

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
ok thanks and will look into this filtered water thing thank you

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Filtered water does help, plus Royal Canin, isn't that good of a food either. If he is rubbing his eye, he could have an eye lash that is irritating his eyes.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Paul, From what I understand, 6 months is too young to test for allergies. Others might have more info on that than me but if I remember correctly you have also been changing his food around quite a bit. I thought he was on raw from your previous posts. What happened to make you change to Royal Canin? As Davidh said Royal Canin is not that great. As I mentioned earlier, Monty has tear stains and they are going but it has taken quite a while for that to happen. One of his eyes was worse than the other too. I would really try to give any food change a chance to work although perhaps a different one than Royal Canin. There is another dog food in the UK (grain free) that I came across that you may want to check out if you are not satisfied with the others. I am not familiar with it as I don't believe they had it before I moved here. Product Range - Laughing Dog One problem I do see with this food however is it contains chicken so if Archie has issues with chicken this is not the food for him. Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, teething does add to the tearing/stains. My guy, Lambeau, is 8 months and has tear stains, I really do not like it, but I have accepted that they will most likely be there till he is at least one. If they are still an issue at that time, I will look to switch foods but for the next 4 months, I am sucking it up.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I use Miracle Care Tear Stain Remover, you can find it at EntirelyPets.com it is a 4oz bottle. I use this on My Elmo Boy, he is all white, and he does not have tear stains now. He eats Fromm Beef Frittata Veg. dry food, and Canidae Canned food chicken and rice about 1tablespoon mixed in with his Fromm Dry Food. I do change the flavor of his dry food sometimes.

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
yes he was on raw and seemed to enjoy it ,but then one day he was really sick and i think it put him of as he didnt or wouldnt go near it again ,but his tear stains was still a problem with that ,i think what i will do is leave him on this for a few months just to see how he gets on what do you think ?? why or what is so bad about royal canin ?? it is one of the dearer foods on the market

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Paul. If ur changing food Move slowly to wainwright grain free. It has all allergy stuff taken out.
I would give your bully piriton 2 times daily, this will help with allergies.

There is a shout that's the environment that's making your dog poorly. Where abouts in the UK are you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
im in manchester jimmy ,and carnt understand why royal canin so bad with it being so exspensive

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.