I asked my vet about the rough dry nose

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
And her response made sense. She noted that Porkchop's tongue can only reach so high up when he licks his nose. The top part is "dry" because his tongue can't "exfoliate" the growth of the nose, which constantly grows and sheds. The lower part, where his tongue can reach, is shiny and smooth.

I used Snout Soother for a short time and Pork hated it. He'd see me pick up the can and Poof! He was outta here. So I used coconut oil as suggested on this forum. After a few days of that, I noticed after one application that he playfully wiped his nose on my white shirt and lots of little black spots appeared! Little itty bitty crusty things. It had to be the dry nose particles. I thought about what my vet said and well, it makes sense. She said it's not a big health issue. When his nose irritates him, he'll rub it somewhere to get the crusties loose, but no harm in doing the coconut oil thing as long as it doesn't cause a buildup in his nose folds. That could cause an infection. Since I clean his nose folds most every day, that has not been a problem.

Any thoughts on this explanation?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ive heard about those black dots before and think you're right. We use Aquaphor once or twice a week and it really works.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Joey's nose gets very dry, her tongue goes only to the left side and doesn't hit the nose ever, instead it flicks up in her eye:eek: I put coconut oil, and it works really great for us. She loves coconut oil and actually manages to lick her nose if it has some on it... If her nose is dry little black pieces comes off when I clean it with a cloth so I think that's normal, it's only dry stuff that comes off...

This is Bennie, see the little line that goes from the top of his nose all the way down to his mouth... when they lick their mouth saliva gets left in that line and keeps the nose moist, if they can't lick their nose it will be dry :)
20141205_134551.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've used both coconut oil and now aquaphor with great success, although now I think aquaphor works better.

After I rub it in good, (either coconut oil or aquaphor), I take a hot/warm wash cloth and run the nose back and forth, and all the dry crusties fall off.

Those dry crusties or nose bits are actually hyperkeratosis.

As for the tongue therory, I don't know about that-- Molly's tongue can reach the top but hers still gets crusty. But more than that since she licks her nose so much all the time it gets downright dirty! So, I really think it just depends on the dog. My bulldog Jesse gets a lot of hyperkeratosis on her nose and her paw pads. I actually have to trim her paw pads with scissors. My vet says it's because she is lazy. LOL :hmm: a bulldog maybe?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I've used both coconut oil and now aquaphor with great success, although now I think aquaphor works better.

After I rub it in good, (either coconut oil or aquaphor), I take a hot/warm wash cloth and run the nose back and forth, and all the dry crusties fall off.

Those dry crusties or nose bits are actually hyperkeratosis.

As for the tongue therory, I don't know about that-- Molly's tongue can reach the top but hers still gets crusty. But more than that since she licks her nose so much all the time it gets downright dirty! So, I really think it just depends on the dog. My bulldog Jesse gets a lot of hyperkeratosis on her nose and her paw pads. I actually have to trim her paw pads with scissors. My vet says it's because she is lazy. LOL :hmm: a bulldog maybe?

Is hyperkertosis that stuff that kind of looks like thick hair on their paw pads? Joey's got that on hers but I thought it's cos they are dry so I've tried to moisturize them... hasn't disappeared from it though:ashamed: Joey is VERY lazy and she's the only dog I've ever seen that on... can that be cut off?... wont that hurt?:unsure:.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is hyperkertosis that stuff that kind of looks like thick hair on their paw pads? Joey's got that on hers but I thought it's cos they are dry so I've tried to moisturize them... hasn't disappeared from it though:ashamed: Joey is VERY lazy and she's the only dog I've ever seen that on... can that be cut off?... wont that hurt?:unsure:.

Yes it is, it seems like it would hurt but it doesn't, it's like cutting hair. I'll get a video for you today if I can find any and show the trimming. It could also be caused by yeast or bacteria BC sometimes it stinks. But mainly its from them not filing down naturally on floors, rugs, pavement, ect. Thus being lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes it is, it seems like it would hurt but it doesn't, it's like cutting hair. I'll get a video for you today if I can find any and show the trimming. It could also be caused by yeast or bacteria BC sometimes it stinks. But mainly its from them not filing down naturally on floors, rugs, pavement, ect. Thus being lazy.

Thank you:) \

Joey's doesn't smell... she gets cysts occasionally but I've kind of figured the cause of them out, have to keep her feet dry after rainy weather or baths, so I don't think it's caused by yeast... She's only got it on the big pads on her front paws, all the other little "finger" pads are fine and so are her back feet. Sorry for turning the nose thread in to a paw thread:hijacked:

:blush2:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you:) \

Joey's doesn't smell... she gets cysts occasionally but I've kind of figured the cause of them out, have to keep her feet dry after rainy weather or baths, so I don't think it's caused by yeast... She's only got it on the big pads on her front paws, all the other little "finger" pads are fine and so are her back feet. Sorry for turning the nose thread in to a paw thread:hijacked:

:blush2:

Yes, sorry for the :hijacked:....

Here is a video for you [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] and of course I also had to do some more research for informational purposes :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, sorry for the :hijacked:....

Here is a video for you @Petra and of course I also had to do some more research for informational purposes :yes:

GREAT info.... never knew that! Banks had this on he back paws and it never seemed to bother her so I left it alone.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Great dry nose info and also the video about "hairy paws". We always battle with Frank's dry nose and I recently noticed that he has developed the hairy paw growth, which I had never seen before.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.