Disciplinary methods?

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
I'm wondering what kind of 'immediate' or 'negative' type of disciplinary measures do you guys do with your bullies? For example, my breeder flicked her puppy bullies if they were being too nippy. I've heard of pinning down bully, grabbing his tongue, biting ear, etc. I realize there is the 'positive reinforcement' train of thought, but there are times when Norman is biting something he's not suppose to and I need him to release right away or being too aggressive while playing or just being extremely stubborn etc and an immediate corrective action is required (I feel anyway).

What are some immediate corrective measures you guys take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
The one that I use is, I put some washers nuts and bolts whatever you have that will rattle in a empty soda can and shake it. I have one sitting in the livingroom. Bruno is 6 months old now and I don't use it anymore. When you see unwanted behavior you shake the can, immediately followed with the stern NO. they will quickly learn what NO is.

The problem that I have with all of the negative reinforcement techniques when you touch the dog, the dog learns to run from you when he does something wrong. Because they know you're going to do something unpleasant to them.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i think it's important to indicate to puppies that certain behavior or certain chew toys are not acceptable. I'm trying to remember what we did with Lola besides watch her like freaking parent hawks for the first 3 months she lived with us. She now never chews on anything that isn't her chew toys (nylabones). She's earned her free roam of the house and its been so since she was about a year old. For sure we woudl grab the naughty thing out of her mouth and scream no, give stern looks. Then I imagine I'd turn my back to her for a minute to show my disapproval. Bulldogs will be very emotionally attached, so I think the worst punishment is a stern look and turning your back to them. (after you remove the offense of course). If they are biting you, sternly say "no bite!" (which we still bring up occasionally when Lola is feeling randy) then stand up and turn your back to him.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We've used spray bottles snd rattle cans but the most effective technique is a firm loud no. I don't advise ever biting or nibbling your bull even when playing because it only encourages them to bite back.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
The shaker cans and a good old fashioned time out works well. When your pup gets over stimulated and is nipping and not listening, put him in his crate for a time out. Don't yell at him, just scoop him up and place in crate. Most times he will fall asleep for a much needed nap, if he doesnt, only let him stay in for like five minutes.it's not a punishment, it is just to let him know he cannot interact with the pack unless he behaves. He will catch on quickly.

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
The shaker cans and a good old fashioned time out works well. When your pup gets over stimulated and is nipping and not listening, put him in his crate for a time out. Don't yell at him, just scoop him up and place in crate. Most times he will fall asleep for a much needed nap, if he doesnt, only let him stay in for like five minutes.it's not a punishment, it is just to let him know he cannot interact with the pack unless he behaves. He will catch on quickly.

We did and still do, it work well.

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
i think it's important to indicate to puppies that certain behavior or certain chew toys are not acceptable. I'm trying to remember what we did with Lola besides watch her like freaking parent hawks for the first 3 months she lived with us. She now never chews on anything that isn't her chew toys (nylabones). She's earned her free roam of the house and its been so since she was about a year old. For sure we woudl grab the naughty thing out of her mouth and scream no, give stern looks. Then I imagine I'd turn my back to her for a minute to show my disapproval. Bulldogs will be very emotionally attached, so I think the worst punishment is a stern look and turning your back to them. (after you remove the offense of course). If they are biting you, sternly say "no bite!" (which we still bring up occasionally when Lola is feeling randy) then stand up and turn your back to him.

I did this with Jake as well. I was watching him like a hawk whenever he was awake. I say no to him even before he thinks about it. He used to love to bite my hubby's shoes. So I made sure I left it lying where I can see it. Sure enough he gravitated towards it. The moment he walked to it, I yelled. After a few weeks, he finally gave up and would sniff it and walked away. Now at 16 months, I never worry about anything including things that fall on the kitchen floor when preparing food even.

Now that I think of it, I don't say the word 'no' literally, as that's not my natural way of saying things. I normally say, "HEY!" or make a sound like saying hey multiples times. I always talk to him in a certain way that he can distinguish when I don't like something coz it goes an octave higher hehe. It's all about the pitch. Just like when I say "beside" a certain way, he would come running to me and sits besides me. But if I don't use my normal way of saying "beside", he wouldn't come lol

I'd say establish a certain pitch or sound, it takes awhile to differentiate it and remember which tone to use.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have done the following based on the situation and the pup (ok, mostly Banks :D )

spray water in side of face (squirt bottle) with a firm NO
pin on side with a firm NO
redirect biting with a toy
use treats as a reward when doing as commanded

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online