Do I get my bulldog spayed?

kclark

Jun 21, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Shadow
Does anyone know the average cost to get my bulldog spayed? I'm kind of scared because she will be 7 yrs old in September and she was only used for breeding when I got her. We don't want her to have anymore puppies. I think she has been through enough but we also don't want her to come in heat in the house.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW… I'm going to tag some other members on this one because on the one hand females at some point should be spayed to prevent a uterine infection, BUT her age could be a factor in having a major surgery like that. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Yeah, I would consider her age too. My experience with surgeries is that my older bully's have had a harder recovery time than when they were pups. The vet said it just depends on the dog and that they all react differently to anesthesia but I've noticed that the effects were much longer lasting and they don't heal as quickly when they are older. I totally understand that you don't want to deal with heat cycles...I don't either and all of mine have been spayed. I actually just had my 6 mo old spayed last week and it cost us $500. I opted for laser surgery and EKG monitoring which added about $130 to the total. I've never thought about it but do dogs stop going through heat cycles when they get older? If so you may not need to spay.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would find a good bully vet, because all vets are not that familiar with the breed and may use the wrong anesthesia. I think the average cost is around $500.00. You can find vets cheaper, but like I said, they may not do that many bullies, and one her age, I would definitely get a good bully vet.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Dogs will have heat cycles their entire life, it never stops unless they are spayed. More time may pass between cycles depending on the age though. We had a 10+ year old beagle when I was growing up who had heat cycles her entire life. They don't have the human equivalent of menopause.

I would definitely consider your bulldogs age though. We just had Effie spayed, and we have a puppy wellness plan, but the full retail cost was about $500 as well.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I would find a good bully vet, because all vets are not that familiar with the breed and may use the wrong anesthesia. I think the average cost is around $500.00. You can find vets cheaper, but like I said, they may not do that many bullies, and one her age, I would definitely get a good bully vet.
@kclark - I totally agree with David, you must find a vet who is experienced with bulldogs, and anesthesia. My Tyson got neutered at the age of 8, due to a medical issue, we did it with an ER vet who was good, but her techs weren't so experienced with bulldogs, and we almost lost him - due to the stupid techs (post op). Then flash forward 6 months, we had to put him under again due to him eating socks! This time we had it done at our regular vet who is VERY experienced with bulldogs, and the staff is as well - he had ZERO issues, did awesome and even went home the same day! They actually assigned a tech to monitor him right out of op, and the few hours after.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Assigning someone to watch them after they come out is extremely important for this breed.

Every time one of mine went under we did it in a veterinary hospital that has experience with brachycephalic breeds. They told us straight from the start, they will be watched 24/7. They also do something different with the anesthesia. I think they skip a step, like a relaxer. I can't remember exactly what they told us.

The Vet even made a funny face to show how intently they watch bulldogs that go under - it looked something like this: View attachment 88522 ..lol..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] I love that pic. LOL

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above, a good bully vet is a must. I got Molly spayed last year at age 7 because her heat cycle was getting worse and she got so swollen she couldn't even sit properly. I thought it would decrease with age but it didn't, so we got it done, she recovered well and she is happier, I can tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Assigning someone to watch them after they come out is extremely important for this breed.

Every time one of mine went under we did it in a veterinary hospital that has experience with brachycephalic breeds. They told us straight from the start, they will be watched 24/7. They also do something different with the anesthesia. I think they skip a step, like a relaxer. I can't remember exactly what they told us.

The Vet even made a funny face to show how intently they watch bulldogs that go under - it looked something like this: View attachment 88522 ..lol..

What a great example of how a bully should be watched after surgery.... :laugh:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Haha, this is so funny, but SO TRUE. Thats what I love about my vet now, they assigned a tech specifically to keep her eyes peeled on him after surgery. She even texted me photos of him.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

:goodpost:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online