jameson the wanderer

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
need some training advice for jameson. the fiance and i just closed on a new house with 7 acres. no fence but the grass part of the yard is huge. fiance has a lab/pit mix who is great with staying within the yard or if she wanders she comes back when called. jameson on the other hand can't be trusted for 2 seconds. at my condo he was always leashed....now i try to let him out without the leash and follow him with the leash in my hand. his thing is he immediately goes for the driveway opening to the road. if you say stop he stops then slowly starts walking again....if you say jameson stop a second time he usually ignores or turns his head looks at you sighs then keeps going....saturday though i let them both out and something raised his hackles and he took off in a full run up the driveway into the road and he was gone. me and my 6.5 month pregnant butt ran after him....the lab/pit thought this was a game and chased with us jumping into the pond down the road full of sludge....jameson attempted to follow thank god he is fat and slowed down....so any advice on how to train him that leaving the yard is a NO NO. I'm not looking to leave him unattended but I'd like to be able to stand on the porch and supervise him while he potties or enjoys the yard.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey stranger..... congrats on the new house and pregnancy!

This will be a big adjustment for Jamison.... you can try a long lead -- it is a training lead that is like 30 feet long. It will give him a sense of being 'off' leash, but you can use it to training him on boundaries. But, the best thing to do for all of you is have an area fenced in for him, maybe a 1/2 arce right off the back of the house where he can run and just do his thing without you worrying he is getting away or not responding to you

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree, just fence in part of the yard. God forbid someone steals him.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with the fence,also. Until you can afford a good fence, there are 4ft. metal posts and cheaper fencing that can be temporary. When I had two Dobermans,one would not go far without me and came immediately when called. She was much "stockier" than the other,who wouldn't respond at all when she got loose. I used a two dog connecter, and hooked them together. When I called Roxie,Abby had to come,too. It worked really well:yes:

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
We have a huge field behind our house and Effie loves to run around and play back there. She does really well off leash, but occasionally there will be ducks out there or our neighbors will be out with their dogs, and when there are distractions Effie "forgets" all of her commands :rolleyes: So we bought a 30 ft. lead that is grounded with a stake, it works perfectly if there are other people out there- so Effie can't just take off, but she can still do her business and play :) And of course we always stay out there with her. I would be scared to death that thieves would take off with my baby if I left her out there alone.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The safest thing is to fence part of it for him.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We have 20 acres with cows and a donkey.We had both of ours on a leash for the longest time because any little movement by the big animals and they were after them ..going under the fence out in the pasture, which made my heart stop a few times I think.They love to eat cow poo also.But finally we were able to teach them that it was a No No to go out there with patience and persistence :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.