Titer vs. vaccinating yearly

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Does anyone get the titer tests done in their bullies instead of re-vaccinating yearly? The anti-vaccine agenda has spread to the dogs and I've been reading a lot about it lately. I know a yearly/bi-yearly rabies shot is called for by law, but what about for the other ones?

I don't want my babies getting sick but I also don't know about putting all that extra "booster" medicine in them every year if they're already immune.

Thoughts anyone?

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
100% titer. Are golden retriever hasn't had a booster shot in over 2 1/2 years we did titers about two months ago and he is fully vaccinated including Lyme. Bruno's only six months old but after he gets his 3 year rabies shot it's definitely titers no unnecessary vaccinations for us.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm gonna ask for titers when their next vaccines are due (in 2017 I believe). I've never heard of vets offering it though, no idea why they don't..

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I'm gonna ask for titers when their next vaccines are due (in 2017 I believe). I've never heard of vets offering it though, no idea why they don't..

you usually have to request it, they would rather do the yearly vaccinations there's more money in it. not so much the cost of the vaccination but why they have you there doing all the test, flea and tick, heartworm preventative, etc.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
you usually have to request it, they would rather do the yearly vaccinations there's more money in it. not so much the cost of the vaccination but why they have you there doing all the test, flea and tick, heartworm preventative, etc.

:( I'd like to think my vet is above that, the more money part. But who knows..

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
My mother is a Boxer lover, and she and I were just discussing this. She had a dog who started having seizures after an annual vaccine. The vet she had at the time recommended only doing rabies annually. She later went to a new vet who suggested the titre, and her dog did not have to be vaccinated again. I definitely will look into it with my Tucker when he comes due again. He is now current on all shots, including rabies.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I read this thread as I was waiting at the vet's office.

I asked them if they offer titre. They said that they do, but they told me it's more expensive than just doing regular vaccines. Also, they said that the titre results reflect recommendations for when vaccinations will be needed again. (I didn't know this.) According to them, you have to do a titre test for every vaccine.

I will have to do more research.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I thought titers showed you how much of the antigen is left. If it's above a certain level, you're still protected so don't require the vaccine (yet).
But yea, they test for each one.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I thought titers showed you how much of the antigen is left. If it's above a certain level, you're still protected so don't require the vaccine (yet).
But yea, they test for each one.

Yes, that's what they told me. The antigen count reveals when you'll need the vaccine again.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes it is more expensive, but I totally believe in it, I've seen too many dogs get sick after annual vaccines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I chose to do titre for my boys. Can't recall if they need to be done annually though. I'm thinking every 3 years or so. We only do the rabies shots because it's the law.

I remember, after getting a titre done for Punkin a couple of years ago, the results showed that he had to get re-vaccinated. I discussed it at length with the vet if they're necessary, and my bf and I decided that it was considering we didn't have his vaccination history.

Titres are more expensive, but they're definitely worth it IMO.

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I read this thread as I was waiting at the vet's office.

I asked them if they offer titre. They said that they do, but they told me it's more expensive than just doing regular vaccines. Also, they said that the titre results reflect recommendations for when vaccinations will be needed again. (I didn't know this.) According to them, you have to do a titre test for every vaccine.

I will have to do more research.

It is more expensive, vaccine titer panel $101. Lyme multiplex test $72. only doing the test every 3 to 5 years and more than likely not having to get another unnecessary vaccination for the rest of the dogs life far away the cost. I do believe most of the cost is not from the vet, it's the lab doing the test at Cornell.

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Thanks for the input, everyone, I'm definitely going to ask the vet about it tomorrow!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online