Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My mobile vet was here today so I was talking to him about vaccinosis and he agrees adult dogs should only be vaccinated once every three years, that's how he does it. But puppy shots should always be done 3x-4x to make sure their bodies have accepted the antibodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
question. So Harvey's certificate says his rabies shot expires on 10/4/2015 which means I need to have him get the rabies shot again.

Not sure I can get around the law with this titer thing. Any suggestions?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=12554]harveyspecter[/MENTION] Not sure if you can. I guess you would need to speak with your vet about it.

Blue first rabies vaccine when he was a puppy, was good for 1 year. This last one is good for 3.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
My vet recommends yearly vaccines even though he admitted he gets his own levels checked before getting his own boosters. He knows that vaccines last longer than a year but still recommends the yearly boosters. I truly think it is a liability issue. If they tell you that you only need to vaccinate every 3-7 yrs and your dog catches the disease...ultimately the vet could be held liable.

After my first bully had her 3rd cancer diagnosis I started to question a lot of things like unnecessary vaccines. I now do the 3 yr rabies and haven't vaccinated my 8 yr old for anything else. She got the full panel of vaccines through the age of 6 & I very seriously doubt she ever needs to be vaccinated again. I actually signed a waiver yesterday when she went in for a surgical biopsy saying that my vet wouldn't be liable since she was considered "due" for the DHPP & bordatella vaccine.

I love my vet but we don not agree on the debate of over vaccinating. I plan to titer test my puppy but what's the point in doing so in an elderly bulldog!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
question. So Harvey's certificate says his rabies shot expires on 10/4/2015 which means I need to have him get the rabies shot again.

Not sure I can get around the law with this titer thing. Any suggestions?

I think you can as long as your vet fills something out to send in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
A lot of folks don't do titters because they are between $80-$150 per test and there's a separate test for every vaccine so it gets pricy when compared to $15 for a vaccination

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I am all for titters - I didn't vaccinate this year- and they aren't due for rabies for a couple years- when I vaccinate they both get so miserable for the following 2-3 days

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So I talked to the vet -- and I really like the woman we've seen lately at this practice -- and I wound up getting him vaccinated with the boosters. One of the main reasons is because I haven't educated myself enough on the issue to feel comfortable really debating it and making a decision. And then there is Regina...I would hate for Ruckus to catch something because I didn't booster him and give it to Regina and her not be able to fight it off because she's a puppy. The vet promised the vaccines were safe and that it's the best way to prevent disease. A rant for another thread is that we have had a bit of a vermin problem (read: rats) in our courtyard (welcome to city life!!) and I'm afraid that not getting Ruckus vaccinated for leptospirosis would be irresponsible since there are rats in the city and he loves to be outside. I wavered on bordatella because we never board Ruckus, but he does go to the park and...and....and I just didn't want to risk it, but I do have some feelings of regret. Both dogs were so sleepy yesterday after the vaccines. They woke up to eat and right back to naptime.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.