bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
We are back to the surgeon on Friday radars leg is not getting better I am sure they will have to go back in and fix his broken screws. With him being broken and his issues with our son I am tired and my brain and heart hurt I don't want to give up on radar or our family but with a new positive / clicker trainer does anyone think we can fix this?

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Clicker training definitely works. This is me training Bruno at 12 weeks and a video of our golden being clicker trained at 14 weeks. I almost didn't try because of all the stories I read about bulldogs being stubborn, even after successfully clicker training other dogs. I'm glad I went ahead and gave it a try. Bruno is well behaved and isn't food or toy aggressive. I think that it is impart to the clicker training. Before trying I watched a lot of kikopup's videos on YouTube and purchased Michael Ellis training videos.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
yes, click training worked great with my frank. he understood it almost immediately

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Your frame of mind also plays a role -- they feed off of your emotions and stress I know you have a lot going on, but try to remain positive and present a leader attitude. No training will work if you do not have the right frame of mind.

I have never used clicker training, but many have great success with it...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We are back to the surgeon on Friday radars leg is not getting better I am sure they will have to go back in and fix his broken screws. With him being broken and his issues with our son I am tired and my brain and heart hurt I don't want to give up on radar or our family but with a new positive / clicker trainer does anyone think we can fix this?

Just like Christine said, don't let the emotions get the best of you. I know its hard, but there are definitely options! The clicker is a great place to start. #1 is to get Radar back to his healthy self, when dogs are in pain, or uncomfortable, no means of training or anything will help. Just think of yourself, if you are sick, you don't want anyone messing with you. After he is all healed up, then start. The thing with bulldogs is that they are stubborn, but don't let that fool you, they are also very intelligent, and he WILL come around. It just takes diligence, persistencey, and he will learn. Praying for all to work out. Please don't even think of giving up - you can do this.

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Just like Christine said, don't let the emotions get the best of you. I know its hard, but there are definitely options! The clicker is a great place to start. #1 is to get Radar back to his healthy self, when dogs are in pain, or uncomfortable, no means of training or anything will help. Just think of yourself, if you are sick, you don't want anyone messing with you. After he is all healed up, then start. The thing with bulldogs is that they are stubborn, but don't let that fool you, they are also very intelligent, and he WILL come around. It just takes diligence, persistencey, and he will learn. Praying for all to work out. Please don't even think of giving up - you can do this.
Thank You all for everything! I am trying so hard to stay positive, but it seems like we take 1 step forward and 3 steps back, I am struggling most right now with what did I do wrong???? I am committed to fixing this, will know more about his leg tomorrow morning and our steps to get him healthy, so can start over with training

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank You all for everything! I am trying so hard to stay positive, but it seems like we take 1 step forward and 3 steps back, I am struggling most right now with what did I do wrong???? I am committed to fixing this, will know more about his leg tomorrow morning and our steps to get him healthy, so can start over with training

Don't worry about the why.... look and move forward and as you are training the why will be apparent to you.. BREATHE and try to reduce your stress -- stress is evil ;)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

You did nothing wrong. My Tyson is 9, and I still at times find myself re-enforcing training. Don't think of the past, just think of moving forward... I bet you that once he's healed up, and starts training, things will get better. Don't be surprised if him & your son end up being best friends in the end, they are both growing up together... try to also involve your son in the training. Its the best way to get good results.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@bengardradar You are not a pest. We are here to support you. First you most concentrate on getting your boy feeling better. I am really sorry that you are
having these problems. When he feels better, things will get better. As for you........vent anytime! What ever helps!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think with Bulldogs, teaching the commands is the easy part. They learn fast enough. The issue is most are very stubborn. If they don't see anything in it for them, they just don't always listen.
Reinforcing their training is a constant thing. They're not the type of breed that wants to please their owners. I think that's one of the reasons we always joke about always being THEIR servants.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
you know, have a little break. It is a tad overwhelming. it will make sense however in the end.

If you were close by, I will buy you a drink, a very big drink. Good Luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.