Alopecia

Dozer12

Jun 22, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I am wondering how many other Bully parents have dealt with alopecia. I know it's pretty commom in this breed and I have heard different ideas or ways of treatment. My Dozer is missing hair on both sides. We did take him to the vet and are trying things her way, first, but just curious who else has dealt with it!
IMG_1906.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I am wondering how many other Bully parents have dealt with alopecia. I know it's pretty commom in this breed and I have heard different ideas or ways of treatment. My Dozer is missing hair on both sides. We did take him to the vet and are trying things her way, first, but just curious who else has dealt with it!
View attachment 88331

Haven't personally dealt with it, but I know that Melatonin helps! Lynn, [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] has used for her babies!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, Carlie had it one year. I used NuStock on her sides,as they were both bald. Her hair grew back. Maude had it next. I could not use NuStock, as Martha kept licking it off Maude. Her hair grew back on one side,but not the other. All winter I gave Maude and Martha melatonin. Martha's skin turned black on both sides, she did not lose hair,and eventually the black skin went back to normal color. No one has had alopecia yet this year..... I think the secret was giving melatonin all winter.They are still getting it before bed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Look at those freckles.... :luv:

no experience with alopecia, but Lynn has you covered!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
@Dozer12 I am curious to know what your vet told you to do for the alopecia??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
D

Dozer12

Jun 22, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
@Dozer12 I am curious to know what your vet told you to do for the alopecia??

They recommended Melatonin, which we are giving him. Luckily he is very food driven so I get get him to take it in his food and he doesn't even notice. So far I haven't noticed any signs of improvement but it's only been a couple weeks.

OP
D

Dozer12

Jun 22, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I'm curious what the melatonin does!! What's the dosage?

The vet said to give Dozer 3-5 mg every 12 hours. We pretty much just give it to him with his breakfast and supper. Dozer is also a tad overweight (82 lbs) so I am not sure if the dosage is higher for my chunky monkey or what.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
5mg is the dosage for the bigger dogs. I haven't heard of any higher dosage. I hope this helps your Dozer. I found that giving it to them all winter seems to prevent the hair loss(as it did with mine) Unfortunately,I started giving it AFTER Maude lost her hair. It did grow back on one side,but she has an enormous black bald spot on the other,which hasn't grown back. There IS plenty of hair around, I could make a side toupee for her! The melatonin is supposed to be replacing the winter lack of sun/daylight, it is also used for sometimes helping people sleep better. Bullies are the first breed I've had that ever got SA.(of course.....)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber has this on occassion and Ruby has never had it. In my research I found several breeds have this problem and it affects the ones in higher elevations. We are at almost 5,000ft so mayber there is some truth to the research, or not. Anyway, I have Melatonin on hand at all times and start giving it to both my girls around Oct/Nov through Mar/Apr every year since Amber had it the first time. The dosage is 5mg and you can buy it at Walgreens or CVS realtively cheap (under $10 a bottle). They loose their hair in patches on either one or both sides and the skin gets dark, the vet said it was a vitamin D deficiency. I keep my house rather dark so it is possible Amber wasn't getting enough sunlight, since we let her sunbathe more and the Melatonin dosage we have not experienced the problem again. Good luck!

Last edited:

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
My Tia had it and it turned out to be low thyroid, she has been on Thyroid medication for about 5 years and it has never come back. She had the balding on both of hips.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty's dermatologist recommended 2 3mg pills twice a day and said that she had heard Natures Bounty works better than any other. Monty weighed 70 lbs at that time (he has been on a diet and now weighs 66!). I found 6 mg twice a day was too much. We had a hard time getting him moving so he now gets one 3 mg twice a day. I had just bought a bunch of CVS melatonin so haven't tried the Natures Bounty yet. His bald spots from surgery last Oct on his bum have just about gone and he is not completely bald on his sides. He has been on it since the beginning of March. I honestly don't know if it has helped or not, how do you tell? I figure it can't hurt though. As a side note, a half of one of the 3 mg helps me sleep!! :sleep: A whole one made me too groggy the next day.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Amber has this on occassion and Ruby has never had it. In my research I found several breeds have this problem and it affects the ones in higher elevations. We are at almost 5,000ft so mayber there is some truth to the research, or not. Anyway, I have Melatonin on hand at all times and start giving it to both my girls around Oct/Nov through Mar/Apr every year since Amber had it the first time. The dosage is 5mg and you can buy it at Walgreens or CVS realtively cheap (under $10 a bottle). They loose their hair in patches on either one or both sides and the skin gets dark, the vet said it was a vitamin D deficiency. I keep my house rather dark so it is possible Amber wasn't getting enough sunlight, since we let her sunbathe more and the Melatonin dosage we have not experienced the problem again. Good luck!

Excellent advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Good point about the Vitamin D deficiency. I try and take the dogs outside in the mornings before it gets too hot while I have my coffee. I hate the heat so it is a good time for all of us to spend time outside.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.