Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alopecia

Monty's dermatologist recommended 2 3mg pills twice a day and said that she had heard Natures Bounty works better than any other. Monty weighed 70 lbs at that time (he has been on a diet and now weighs 66!). I found 6 mg twice a day was too much. We had a hard time getting him moving so he now gets one 3 mg twice a day. I had just bought a bunch of CVS melatonin so haven't tried the Natures Bounty yet. His bald spots from surgery last Oct on his bum have just about gone and he is not completely bald on his sides. He has been on it since the beginning of March. I honestly don't know if it has helped or not, how do you tell? I figure it can't hurt though. As a side note, a half of one of the 3 mg helps me sleep!! A whole one made me too groggy the next day.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    Amber has this on occassion and Ruby has never had it. In my research I found several breeds have this problem and it affects the ones in higher elevations. We are at almost 5,000ft so mayber there is some truth to the research, or not. Anyway, I have Melatonin on hand at all times and start giving it to both my girls around Oct/Nov through Mar/Apr every year since Amber had it the first time. The dosage is 5mg and you can buy it at Walgreens or CVS realtively cheap (under $10 a bottle). They loose their hair in patches on either one or both sides and the skin gets dark, the vet said it was a vitamin D deficiency. I keep my house rather dark so it is possible Amber wasn't getting enough sunlight, since we let her sunbathe more and the Melatonin dosage we have not experienced the problem again. Good luck!

Excellent advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Good point about the Vitamin D deficiency. I try and take the dogs outside in the mornings before it gets too hot while I have my coffee. I hate the heat so it is a good time for all of us to spend time outside.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

We are right now with our boy.Its called flank alopecia and he has black skin there.We give him 3mg of melatonin at night to help.His hair is coming back but the black skin isn't any better.
    He weighs 75 lbs and our very said to much melatonin can make them hyper instead of sleepy He has been on it a few months but she said to give it in winter for sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads