BreakfastAtMe

Jun 21, 2015
North Dakota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Churchill
Hi everyone! I will soon be bringing home my first bulldog puppy. I have never had a bulldog before and was wondering products to get. Everything from food to toys to shampoo. Also if you have any other advice on training, I would love to hear it all!

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
My favorite toy would be the IDC caoutchouc ball. It is so strong that there is no way your puppy is going to chew it apart. When Noah was a baby he was constantly chewing on it. Also I'm a huge fan of the IDC harnesses. They come in lots of sizes so you will for sure find the best fit. Also they have many many colors so you get to pick your favorite. On the two sides of the harness you get velcro patches, it comes with two that says "Julius K9" but you can buy many different ones. You can also personalize them if you would like. I prefer harnesses over collars, especially for my bully. You will have lots of fun :) On this forum you will find almost every answer you will be looking for.
unnamed-4.jpg

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I bought my pups x-large Kong's and fill with a mixture of plain yogurt and peanut butter, then put in the freezer. It makes it last a little longer if it's frozen :-). They also love the antlers and Nylabone.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Lets see.......bulldog proof your house......:rofl:Oh yeah, there is no such thing!!! hehe, seriously now, make sure there are no wires, cables, small things to ingest to include socks or small laundry items. Dont give them anything with parts or pieces.....bulldogs will eat anything and I mean anything. If they are hanging out under the diningroom table chances are they are chewing on the wooden runs of the chairs, legs etc. They love to chew.....make sure you have a crate to crate train, metal bowls for both food and water, first aid kit (destin, anti-fugal cream, wipes for winkles, butts and tail pocket) keep pure pumpkin (not the pie stuff, real pumpkin) on hand in case the puppy gets diahrea, rice just in case they get an upset stomach, apple cider vinegar; lemon juice just in case you have to deal with a yeast pop, grain free puppy food (many on this forum use Fromm but I use Earthborn coastal catch......food is trial and error most of the time); toys in our house are durable heavy duty tough dog toys with chew ratings which can be found on the internet, and thats just for starters. I would say a bed and bedding but chances are the puppy will be sleeping with you, on your furniture or in your lap. Oh yeah, a gross of lint rollers, just buy them in bulk.....makes things easier.....keep them at work, in vehicle, at house be prepared for a "small" (hehehe) amount of hair. Be prepared to redirect their chewing on you to toys, puppies sharp teeth are murder......last but not least........lots of love, time and patience (keep calm even when you just lost your best pair of pumps, remember its never the bullies fault and always the humans fault for leaving things where they can get it)and you will have a great family member to have and hold for a long time. Don't get too attached to your belongings.....owning a bulldog requires a curtain amount of give and take........they own the house and allow YOU a place to stay. Your life is about to change for the best piece of heave you can ask for, there is nothing like being owned by a bully. Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your new family member!!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Be prepared to give him lots of attention. They demand this from their humans. For health consider giving him nuvet vitamins.
Welcome to ebn.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=14385]BreakfastAtMe[/MENTION]
Welcome to EBN, some essentials right off hand: a good harness, witch hazel, sensitive baby wipes, vetericyn, benadryl, malacetic wipes, a good clean all natural shampoo. As far as food goes, grain free, 4 star or higher. Toys, nylabones, antlers, kongs - just make sure they are large so they can't fit the whole thing in their mouth. Bullies are known for swallowing things. If you get any stuffed toys, monitor at all times, and throw away once they are ripped.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Lets see.......bulldog proof your house......:rofl:Oh yeah, there is no such thing!!! hehe, seriously now, make sure there are no wires, cables, small things to ingest to include socks or small laundry items. Dont give them anything with parts or pieces.....bulldogs will eat anything and I mean anything. If they are hanging out under the diningroom table chances are they are chewing on the wooden runs of the chairs, legs etc. They love to chew.....make sure you have a crate to crate train, metal bowls for both food and water, first aid kit (destin, anti-fugal cream, wipes for winkles, butts and tail pocket) keep pure pumpkin (not the pie stuff, real pumpkin) on hand in case the puppy gets diahrea, rice just in case they get an upset stomach, apple cider vinegar; lemon juice just in case you have to deal with a yeast pop, grain free puppy food (many on this forum use Fromm but I use Earthborn coastal catch......food is trial and error most of the time); toys in our house are durable heavy duty tough dog toys with chew ratings which can be found on the internet, and thats just for starters. I would say a bed and bedding but chances are the puppy will be sleeping with you, on your furniture or in your lap. Oh yeah, a gross of lint rollers, just buy them in bulk.....makes things easier.....keep them at work, in vehicle, at house be prepared for a "small" (hehehe) amount of hair. Be prepared to redirect their chewing on you to toys, puppies sharp teeth are murder......last but not least........lots of love, time and patience (keep calm even when you just lost your best pair of pumps, remember its never the bullies fault and always the humans fault for leaving things where they can get it)and you will have a great family member to have and hold for a long time. Don't get too attached to your belongings.....owning a bulldog requires a curtain amount of give and take........they own the house and allow YOU a place to stay. Your life is about to change for the best piece of heave you can ask for, there is nothing like being owned by a bully. Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your new family member!!

I'm dying laughing!!! Your post is beyond accurate. I've had my baby boy for almost a year and a half now, we got him at 7 weeks, and you hit the nail on the head with everything! Where were you last March!! All great advice!!

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
My best advice to you is that if you feel like something isn't right, go with you gut instinct, regardless of what the vet says. See another vet if you have to. I learned the hard way as a first time Bulldog owner that breathing loudly is not necessarily expected. If your dog has other symptoms, pay attention!

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Beside Julius K9. I love EZ Dog brands too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BreakfastAtMe

BreakfastAtMe

Jun 21, 2015
North Dakota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Churchill
Thanks- appreciate all the info. I have been wanting a bully for years and now I am starting to get impatient waiting for him to get big enough to take home!! I have been doing a ton of research but have also come across some contradicting recommendations. I read that for the crate, get one big enough for him to grow into, then read that if a pup has too much space in the crate then he will think it's ok to go the bathroom there. I have had dogs in the past but never crate trained them and am planning to do so now. Also, I think I will eventually go with a harness, but read that I should start with a collar and leash so that he knows how it feels when I direct him without putting to much strain on him? Any recommendations for treats? I invested in the Furminator and malacetic wipes and am thinking of going with nature's variety for food.

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2002-2013), Frank 2 years old
Hello [MENTION=14316]KatieToth[/MENTION], may I ask what size Julius K9 harness are you using for your Noah Jack and how much does he weight? I am looking for one but I also confused with size. Thanks!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
my emergency bulldog at home and travel kit has douxo wipes or some chlorhexidine wipes, a squirt bottle of lemon juice (lola gets agitated and pants with alot of slobber, lemon juice breaks up the phlegm so she can breathe when she gets worked up), a glass hamster water bottle for the car (and her crate when she was young), nylabones and more nylabones. For puppies the softer rubbery ones but not the edible ones (will cause diarrhea), poop bags, unscented baby wipes, and a cool collar/ice pack/cooling vest. We use kleenex to clean out wrinkles and ears daily. Baby wipes for wee and bum multiple times a day. epsoms salts for feet soaking once a month or so (she's got itchy paws). and the best food you can buy! we feed frozen raw NVI duck nuggets.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
You can get a large wire crate with a divider, so that your bully is in a smaller space to start out with. Then he can grow into it and you will avoid buying multiple crates as he grows. I think I used three different sizes with Winnie until I got her wire crate.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online