Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I have been reading these posts about food lately and I get a little anxious about it. It didn't used to make me feel anxious when I was feeding my guys Orijen food as I thought it was a great food. Here's how I got to where I am today, anxiety running rampant. We got Henry on Christmas eve 2013, by Jan 15 2014 my illness came on with avengence and I had to quit my job. I had a fairly high paying job which put us in a great financial condition. I had thought I would be able to take a couple weeks off work and get myself back to where my pain was under control and go back to my job. Turns out that in the 18 months that I've been off work no doctor can figure out what is happening. I live in misery and anxiety. I had been married to my husband for 5 months when I had to stop working. He didn't sign up for this kind of life but he has taken care of me through it all. About 6 months ago I decided that it was time to try a different, more reasonable kind of food for our guys. It was so hard for me to think of Henry going back to the red itchy face and paws but I just couldn't justify what we were spending on dog food any more. We were going through 3 bags a month on food. $300 in dog food a month. I was bargain shopping for the human food and it was just not something I could continue. I searched every food that I thought was reasonable priced and the ingredients were just so poor that I couldn't decide on anything. Orijen is filled with meat and I felt so guilty about changing. I had looked at Taste of the Wild before and had seen some posts on EBN about other members feeding it. We have a orshlens 30 miles away so I would go there just to look at food and compare. I finally decided that if I had to I would feed Henry Orijen and the lab and EB mix pup TOTW. That also gave terrible anxiety because I was picking a favorite to give better food. (Obviously I have anxiety issues, lol) so we did the switch and there was no reaction. No bloody face, no hot spot, no obsessive paw licking, nothing. I kept waiting for the disaster but it never came. He is as healthy and beautiful as he was on Orijen. TOTW is half the price. I have seen no change in his tear stains either. The only thing that has actually made a difference there is adding yogurt and coconut oil. I starting giving him that for health reasons. I didn't even consider it would make a difference with tear stains. I didn't realize they even made a difference because I had been being very diligent with cleaning his face and thought that was helping. I had a bad spell and didn't give the extras for a week and wow did it surprise me. His stains were back in 2 days. Started the yogurt and coconut oil and nearly gone again. Anyway, the point of my ramble? Who knows. I guess I just wanted to share. I am embarrassed to be 39 and disabled. I'm embarrassed that I had to file for disability and got denied. I can't work. I can barely cook dinner for my family most days. Having a bulldog has changed my life. My husband told me one time that he didn't care how much money that dog costs because if we didn't have Henry I would have given up completely. I have to take care of him, therefore I get out of bed on days I wouldn't. He loves me when I am miserable and comforts me always. I give him the best I can. It just happens that TOTW is the best I can do. It just gives me anxiety because I know there is better quality food. Owning a bulldog is an obsession. I didn't know I was getting on the crazy train when I got him. I just wanted a sweet dog to keep me company when my husband left to go out of town for work. I've never been a real active person and a lazy bulldog was the best fit for us. I'm so thankful to be on this train with the rest of you crazies. Thank you for taking the time to read this excessively long rambling post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 115

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Roseann, there is no reason for guilt or anxiety. You are doing the best you can for your family. I am so thankful that the TOTW is working out and you are able to save some money. I will pray for you that the doctors can find out how to treat you and hopefully give you a better quality of life.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
TOTW is not a bad food. At all. Now, had you said Purina, ok different story. I feel your pain, and I'm so sorry for what you have gone through. There were days in my past that I didn't wanna get out of bed, and had it not been for Tyson, who knows. I can relate. You are doing the very best you can for them, they are healthy, and happy. That is all you should ever worry about. My sister in law feeds TOTW and her baby is healthy too! Do not beat youself up, Henry is beyond blessed to have you as his momma, and he is beautiful!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
You have a beautiful family. Don't feel bad trying to make ends meet.

I will send positive vibes and prayers that you will have a DX and treatment soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I so hope the doctors can figure something out for you and you do not have to be in so much pain.... you are doing the best you can and as long a they are healthy, is what matters.

:hug:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Positive and healing thoughts for you. Mind has healing powers too, but anxiety is not. Try to reach in to yourself and find more positive things in your life to get strength to heal. One being your loved bully is doing great, cause of you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online