Panting all the time!

kclark

Jun 21, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Shadow
1434936427386.jpgI am a new owner of a 6 year old English Bulldog. I have had her for about 24hrs now. Why does she pant all the time. She has been in the house only outside when needing to go potty. She does this even when laying in her bed. Is there something wrong with her? Please help....

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Nerves. If she is 6 and you have only had her for 24 hrs she is scared. Her world has been turned upside-down. I don't know the situation she came from but bullies tend to be OCD and take time to adapt to change. Panting with a big change isn't abnormal at all. Give her a few days settle in to the new surroundings and routine. Give her all the love you can in this time as well to reassure her that everything is ok and plenty of water to boot.

OP
K

kclark

Jun 21, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Shadow
Thank you! She was only used for breeding and kept in a crate all her life. So yes it is a big change. Now she stays inside and only crated at night and when we are gone. But of course we leave the crate open so she can come and go as she wants. And we plan on getting her fixed. We are not gonna use her for breeding. She was with alot of other bulldogs too. I hope she can get use to us and her new environment. We thought we would give would make the rest of her life as good as we can with lots of love.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! She was only used for breeding and kept in a crate all her life. So yes it is a big change. Now she stays inside and only crated at night and when we are gone. But of course we leave the crate open so she can come and go as she wants. And we plan on getting her fixed. We are not gonna use her for breeding. She was with alot of other bulldogs too. I hope she can get use to us and her new environment. We thought we would give would make the rest of her life as good as we can with lots of love.

It will take her a two - four weeks to settle in. Try to give her as much of a schedule as you can and do not over do it till she gets more comfortable. As Todd stated, the panting is from nerves and she will come around.

Thank you for giving her a great new life!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome to EBN, and thank you for rescuing your baby. Todd is right, panting is from anxiety/stress. She will settle in. Try to keep her environment quiet for the first week you have her. Limit her car rides as she might associate the car being taken away. Slowly introduce her to people after the first week and only if you see she is less stressed out. This was the advice we got from the rescue we got our Frankie from.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Shadow is just beautiful, looking very comfortable in her bed there !!! I am so glad she is now in a loving home, you been already given some great advice. Welcome to EBN

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
View attachment 88231I am a new owner of a 6 year old English Bulldog. I have had her for about 24hrs now. Why does she pant all the time. She has been in the house only outside when needing to go potty. She does this even when laying in her bed. Is there something wrong with her? Please help....

How is Shadow coming along? Have you noticed less panting?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=14389]kclark[/MENTION] I know exactly what you are going through.

When we brought our Bentley home 1 year and 3 days ago, he did the same thing. He got anxious when we picked him up. He would hold his pee for hours at a time until he finally realized he could go more often than once. This lasted about a week. Bentley didn't know what toys or treats were. He would rather eat off of a paper plate instead of his bowl (this lasted about 3-4 months).
Bentley was 8 months old at the time we got him. Patience and love and avoid loud noises. At about three weeks of having him...he barked at every little noise. Still does to some degree...especially if something is out of place...he would not stop until the item was put back in place....this still happens. This is his OCD.

He now gets on the wife's lap but not mine...he does get on the couch with me for belly rubs and back scratches. He loves his Kong football and squeak balls.

God bless you for saving your bully. I can't rather fathom what they have been through.

Tincture of time with love and patience is the best medicine.

OP
K

kclark

Jun 21, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Shadow
Yes I have noticed less panting. Just worried when school starts back she will be in her crate for about 10 hrs. Do u think she will be ok?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes I have noticed less panting. Just worried when school starts back she will be in her crate for about 10 hrs. Do u think she will be ok?

is it possible to have a friend or family member swing by mid-day for a quick potty break?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.