Would an English Bulldog be a good therapy dog for a special needs child with Autism?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was asked this question and I honestly do not know, while I would think they would be perfect due to their loving demeanor, I just do not want to give bad information.

While I think perhaps an older cuddly senior would be more appropriate, I can only imagine that most rescues would deny someone with a child.

Then I think a puppy may be too much if they are particularly hyper.

Let me know what you think friends!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My first inclination is to say YES. I'm sure they would have to find the right EB that would be trained to be such a therapy dog. Not quite sure how it all works though in the therapy-dog world...like would they be trained specifically for a child w/autism?

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
I would believe that it would be better if the dog can accompany the child almost everywhere. With their restrictions to heat, I dont think they would be ideal.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I think that bulldogs would be a great choice… most of them are very loving and laid-back. BUT I will tell you of an incident that happened w/my dog trainer. She trained a bulldog to be a PTSD dog for a former soldier, and she said that the dog is amazing. Last summer he took his bully to the zoo, and he almost died of heat stroke… the problem is that these dogs MUST be able to withstand any conditions to include the weather and that could really become an issue for a bulldog.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree, temperment wise they would be great, but like the others have said, the health concerns could be too restrictive.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I would think my Henry would be afraid of the possible outbursts. He's my only experience with an EB so I'm not sure.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah I also think that while bulldogs are laid back and cuddly a lot of the time, which is what this person is looking to find for her daughter with autism, I'm afraid that some bulldogs just are not cuddlers and a puppy would be biting for 6 months. It would have to be the ideal pup or older dog who is just a big ole cuddler.

I am not sure if they would be taking their bulldog, if they got one, anywhere but home.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I got a 3 year old re-home for a guy who works for me. His step son has autism,
this was 8 month ago and they love daisy / all is well

However he didn't want a pup due to his step sons Illness.

So pups no but bullys that have matured yes, now when I look back he done the right thing for his family

Most Reactions

Members online