brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Let me start by saying I didn't want to do this but lately Frankies behavior is getting dangerous to his health. He has been stealing things with increasing frequency. Last night he stole my car keys off a table that he should not be able to reach, and if he didnt set off my car alarm, I would not have known. I am afraid he is going to swallow a battery and that could be life threatening. So we bought an e-collar. It has sound and stimulation. We put it on him today after work and set the stage. I put a cookie on the kitchen counter and french fries on the dining room table and waited. He immediately went to the fries and jumped. I pressed the tone only and he immediately stopped, kinda looked around to see where the sound came from, and walked away. He went back to the fries again, but never jumped up again all night! I have no intention of using the stimulation/ shock, it seems he is responding to the tone really well. Everyone knows I love my boys more than my life, and I hope everyone understands this was a last resort for Frankies safety,

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
Always better to be safe than sorry! Hopefully you won't have to use the collar long! Good luck!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You got to do what you have to do. I am glad the sound is working so far.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You said he stole the keys.....so I thought you were going to say he went for a joy ride!! driving.jpg We understand about the collar-it's for his own safety!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
We know you'll be using the e-collar responsibly, Rosalie, and it's for Frankie's health and well-being. Keep us updated on his progress and hopefully this will only be a temporary situation.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Rosalie - its for his own good & hopefully he will learn not to steal - i got same problem with Shy to the point nothing eatable can be left when we go out as we had far to many upset tummies [emoji4]
I did try vibrating collar but sadly it was no good
But as Frankie seem to respond to it - keep at it [emoji173]️

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
You don't have anything to be sorry for:assurred: The collar won't harm him, only keep him from harming himself:) Great that he responds so well to it:w00t: I have no experience with dogs stealing things or swallowing stuff but I can totally understand how scary it must be:( I'm sometimes envious of everyone with bulldogs that climb chairs etc and are so super active but I can see now how lucky I am with mine that are so calm and non adventurous:blush2:

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
We know you'll be using the e-collar responsibly, Rosalie, and it's for Frankie's health and well-being. Keep us updated on his progress and hopefully this will only be a temporary situation.

I totally agree, I don't believe in the collar but you have exhausted all avenues, Hopefully it won't be for long. The good story in this is he's ok, next time he'll make a run for it in your car [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You have nothing to be sorry for! I know there is a stigma with ecollars, but they can be a good training tool. Actually, I am using one with Bella for her dog/people reaction. She pulls very hard toward dogs and certain people...to the point where she chokes herself, not to mention, pulling my arm out of the socket. I tried to use high value treats, Easy Walk harness, etc...but, she doesn't care. (She is now strong enough to pull herself out of the Easy Walk harness, which I didn't even know was possible.) Dogs are her kryptonite and I'm convinced she will kill herself to get to one.

I finally decided to have her go to the trainer at her vet's office. The trainer uses the ecollar. I was so worried at first, but Bella is doing SO WELL on it! I think as long as you use it responsibly, it can be a great tool. I purchased the same collar (Dogtra Platinum) that the trainer uses and Bella now responds to the vibration. (The Dogtra ecollar has vibration and shock only--no sound.) It's only been a couple of days and Bella is showing remarkable improvement!

Can I offer one piece of advice that I got from Bella's trainer? She said that it is not a good idea to use the sound feature on ecollars, as it might create noise anxiety in the dog. Regardless, you're doing a good, loving thing for your pup. Personally, I'm proud of you for making this hard decision.

As I said, it's the best decision I've made for Bella. @2BullyMama gave me great support and advice about the ecollar.

ETA: I feel really defensive about ecollars, since I feel like it's the only thing that is helping me with Bella. I haven't had anyone question my love for my dog or anything like that, but I would be really irritated if they did. I will defend the use of ecollars in certain situations, since I know how much it's helping Bella. *LOVE*

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hug: It a very hard decision, but you have to do what is best and will work for you and keep him safe. We had to go this route with Banks -- I fought not to and cried the first time I had to use it, but had it not been for the e-collar, Banks would not have had the wonderful life that she did cause she would of had to always be an only dog and never around people. Thanks to the use of the collar, she was amazing with children and loved all people.... well, dogs, was another story and the collar needed to be on her when we took her places with other dogs. She stayed in line and we did not have to keep her isolated.

Do not beat yourself up or feel you have failed -- you are doing what will help keep him alive and with you

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I send you love, Rosalie, and like all here, know you worship your boys.
If this is what it takes to keep Frankie safe, then so be it! Keep us posted
so we can all learn with y'all. As long as these tools are used lovingly and
responsible, it is a good thang for those dogs that need a 'lil extra in training
department. Prayers for quick success and lesson learned :)

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thanks guys, you have made me feel better about a very difficult decision. This morning I put it on and then started making breakfast. I had bacon and pancakes on the counters and while he did sniff, he never jumped. We had the remotes to the tv on the couch and I saw him going for them, just as he was going to put his mouth on it, I sent a tone, and he stops, looks around for the sound, and walks away. So far we were able to have a very relaxing evening last night and morning so far with our sweet loving boy. I have not used the shock component and hopefully I wont have to. I also want to add that he doesn't act afraid of the sound, just kinda puzzled by it. I hope through my experience with this I can help others. I know frankie is a good boy and we have gotten him through some really bad manners from his previous home, but the stealing of things is something we hit a wall with and just could not break through. I look forward to 100% enjoyment from my baby really soon and the collar will be a thing of the past. I really appreciate your support.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with everyone - you did what had to be done for his own good. We all know you love him beyond words, and had I been in your position I would do the same thing! I hope this is the "thing" finally works for you guys. Sending positive vibes, and lots of hugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I have one I use for our EB mix. The shock strangly doesn't faze him, maybe I'm a sissy and don't put it on a high enough setting. However, the vibe mode stops him immediately. I only started using the vibe because I hated the shock. I hated having to use the collar at all but as with you, things had just gotten to a point that I had to try something as nothing else was working. Good luck. I know you love your guy, that's the reason you are doing it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.