ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I completely agree w/your statement… it infuriates me to NO end when I see people w/pit bulls and you KNOW that they haven't even bothered to train or socialize them. The same goes for other aggressive breeds, if you don't want to take the time to properly train the dog then get a damn CAT!!!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks everyone for letting me vent and also know that I'm not alone in my feelings!!

Curly is smiling from all the love :)

498e1ba0436f08a8ccebba6ab35aec7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks everyone for letting me vent and also know that I'm not alone in my feelings!!

Curly is smiling from all the love :)

498e1ba0436f08a8ccebba6ab35aec7c.jpg

Love that face!!!

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
For starters I'm very sorry your dog was bit, but glad he wasn't injured very badly. I hope his cut heals up very quick.

As far as Pitbulls are concerned they are a very mis-judged breed with a lot of un truths told in the facts about them. I would say your incident is 100% human at fault. Clearly this woman does not know her dogs or is just ignorant to their behaviour, and not the appropriate owner for them.

I have two bulldogs, one is the sweetest girl ever who gets along with every human and dog she comes across. However my male has had anxiety since we brought him home at 7 weeks. We have taken him to classes as well as training at home and take him out to socialize as much as we can and none of this helped it has only gotten worse. His anxiety comes out in aggression with other dogs. With that being said he has never once been allowed off leash and will never be in the future, when we walk as soon as we see another dog we cross the street or if we are on a trail we give a wide birth to the other dogs and I always call out to the other owner to give warning he is not approachable. It is always my husband or I that hold his leash, never our kids. What took place with your dogs is completely avoidable had the woman been a responsible pet owner. I never imagined having to do this as I never imagined having an aggressive Bulldog but it is what it is and we had to adapt quickly for his and others safety. But just to let you know he is the most cuddly loving dog at home with his family including our with our other bulldog.

This thread hit close to home as I just read in the paper today a very upsetting story. A women was walking her 5 month old cocker spaniel pup on leash when an American Bulldog Mastiff cross came running at them and grabbed on to the pup and started attacking. She and the women she was with as well as bystanders were unable to pry the big dog off, no collar on the dog. The owner then showed up and was able to get the dog off. They flagged down a vehicle and the people rushed them to a vet where emergency surgery was performed but the pup didn't make it because there was so much damage. It turns out this big dog had had an incident only a month before and there was a court order that the dog be leashed and muzzled whenever it was in public. Apparently the dog and owner had just arrived in a taxi where the dog not only was not leashed or muzzled but no collar and when they opened the door to the taxi the dog just leapt out and started to run at the pup. The dog is currently being held until a proper evaluation is done to decide if it needs to be euthanized. This story makes me sick to my stomach, one humans stupidity and irresponsible behaviour has now destroyed the life of two dogs.

Sorry for the big rant I guess it was bothering me more than I realized.

Again I'm glad Curly wasn't seriously injured, and what a seriously sweet face!

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am a big pitbull lover as well as an EB lover. I've met so many pitbulls through the rescue group here. Many came from bad homes, were not trained/socialized, and were still the sweetest, most loving dogs ever.

I would not call them an aggressive breed. I would agree that they are very smart dogs who can be trained to do aggressive things.

I've seen plenty of little dogs act aggressively, and everyone just shrugs it off or thinks it's cute because they're little and can't do much damage.

that being said, what a scary incident. I am so sorry that happened to your baby and am so glad it wasn't worse!!! It's so sad that we've all been 'brainwashed' (not the right word, but can't think of a better one) to fear pitbulls, mastiffs, and similar breeds. I was walking frank the other day and two HUGE, I mean HUGE cane corso/mastiff mixes came running up. They seemed friendly but their owner ran out from his garage and made them both go inside, apologizing to me. they were off leash in an unfenced front yard. I immediately stopped and my heart started racing when they ran up. they were way too huge for me to be able to do anything if they did go for frank. When I saw them my first thought was 'this is going to be bad' because of all the stories I've heard about the 'aggressive' breeds. I don't think it's the breed, I think it's the uninformed, uneducated people who get a dog and get in over their heads.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] The wonderful things about dogs is that you can find one that matches the lifestyles of various people. If you're an active person, there is a dog for you. If you are a lazy couch potato there is a dog for you. That said, there are dogs that are bred to be more aggressive, and therefore are labeled aggressive breeds because they are bred to protect and, unfortunately, some are bred to fight. While the word "aggressive" does have a negative connotation it is an accurate description of various breeds. they are very smart dogs and can be trained easily (much easier than an EB :)) but an owner of these breeds need to know their dog, the breed characteristic to make an educated decision if this is the right fit for them/their family.

I have many friends with extremely well trained, sweet pitbulls who I would never have a problem bringing my dogs around, so I don't have anything against the breed. I have something against the owners that don't know their breed and do not take the time to train their dog. So many shelters wouldn't have dogs abandoned by their owner if they took the time to educate themselves.

I have actually wanted a pit for a very long time but because my husband is active duty in the military we had to take his job into consideration. Since we move every couple of years, we took into account that we could move to a place where there is a pitbull ban and needing to give up a dog so we crossed pitbulls (and a few other dogs) off our list of dogs we should consider.

I digress. Totally agree with you - the aggressive word wasn't meant to be a negative connotation, just a descriptor of the dog's potential/innate temperament which, of course, can be controlled by proper training.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.