Shallow, Rapid breathing in 8 mnth old pup.. Concern or not.

volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Greetings All,

Our new 8 mnth old Bully, Lola, breathes rapidly and shallow every now and then when she sleeps. She does not appear to be in any type of distress at all or in any pain. She is very active and I expect this after she has been on a long walk or after playing with our other bully not when she has been quiet for a while. The breeder is going to take her to the vet to double check everything but she has a clean bill of health. Is it a puppy thing or should I be more concerned? Our other Bully, Harley, is 5 and she only breathes shallow and rapid after vigorous exercise, not when she is calm. Any ideas and advise would be great. I tried to upload a video of Lola but it was too big so I hope my description was understandable.

Cheers
David

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Welcome to EBN!!!

Your baby needs a good checkup, she may have an elongated palette which would explain the breathing issues. This can cause them to have sleep apnea, I will tag some members who have dealt with this. I'm curious to why the breeder is taking her to the vets, do you have a good bully vet of your own?!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Tracey makes a good point as far as the elongated palate. I would have her evaluated for that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: --- agree with Tracey -- a full vet check needs to be done. Make sure the check heart and lungs too -- my guy did this but at age 2-3 and it was a palette issue

please keep us posted

OP
V

volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Thank You All,

I will keep you posted. The breeder is fantastic and she noticed it when I pointed it out to her and we agreed to keep an eye on it until she could get checked with her vet. Lola has been checked for heart, breathing, cherry eye etc and has a clean bill of health. I will take her to my vet as well and check for a palette issue. Lola only does this some of the time. Most times her breathing is slow and deep, especially when she is out for the count and snoring.. lol. Thank you all for your info. Updates will follow.

OP
V

volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Update,

Lola is going to the vet on Sat June 20. The breeder has had her checked for elongated palette already and everything is fine there so we will see what the vet says to the occasional rapid breathing. Btw, since I have posted this she has not done it since!!! lmao. More updates to follow..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update,

Lola is going to the vet on Sat June 20. The breeder has had her checked for elongated palette already and everything is fine there so we will see what the vet says to the occasional rapid breathing. Btw, since I have posted this she has not done it since!!! lmao. More updates to follow..

Good... Keep us posted on the visit-- hope it was just a hot spell

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.