This boy certainly isn't stupid!

Vader The Bully

Mar 20, 2015
Chino Hills, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darth Vader
I love when people ask me, "Aren't bulldogs, like, the dumbest dogs there are?" I have to hold my hand back from smacking them upside their ignorant little heads! First off, don't insult my damn dog, he's sitting right here, he can HEAR YOU. Secondly, why don't you get to know the little buggers before you judge them??

Vader is NOT dumb. In fact, he's really surprised me with how well he picks up new things. Now, getting him to DO those new things once he's learned them is where the real chore is. He's stubborn, not stupid, and I know you all can agree to that.

Check this out though. We live in a first floor apartment, and I was lucky enough to be able to fence off our back patio area which has a nice little gravel section for him to do his business. We put bells on the back door and he quickly learned to ring them when he needs to go... and also whenever he just wants to go outside... or even when he just wants attention. This boy LOVES to hang out outside and just watch the birds fly and the people walk by. So he'll ring them, do his business, and then we go back inside. Not 5 minutes later he's ringing them again, so I let him out and he just loves to stand there. Such a dork.

Anybody else's babies learn to manipulate the system? :lmao:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
After having Tyson for so many years, I've learned people are pretty ignorant. The funniest thing I've learned is that kids (small kids, like elementary age) are far more more educated then adults. Tyson has many little kid friends in the neighborhood, when each first met him they all knew he was a bulldog, one even said to his own mother, "mom, he's not fat, he's a bully, he's built that way" :yes4: I was so impressed.

Now, this manipulating business you speak of, we're all suckers for it. They have trained their humans very well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he has trained you very well! And, yes, they are VERY smart.... the difference is Bulldogs are deciding if what you are asking is worth what you are offering? It is contemplation, not stubbornness :D

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
you hit the nail on the head when you said "stubborn not stupid" :yes:

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella is the smartest dog I've ever met. :)

...she's also the most stubborn.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I too think stubborn is right terminology. It always amazes me when I read elsewhere on the web how Bulldogs are not the smartest in the canine world. They've obviously not lived with one. Vader sounds like a smart chap!!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
After having Tyson for so many years, I've learned people are pretty ignorant. The funniest thing I've learned is that kids (small kids, like elementary age) are far more more educated then adults. Tyson has many little kid friends in the neighborhood, when each first met him they all knew he was a bulldog, one even said to his own mother, "mom, he's not fat, he's a bully, he's built that way" :yes4: I was so impressed.

Now, this manipulating business you speak of, we're all suckers for it. They have trained their humans very well.

I second this!! Actually I took both my pups for a walk one time and there was a few kids outside, maybe about 7 and they were playing basketball and one kid stops and was like "bulldog right?" And I go yeah! Nice call. And he said I love Bulldogs! Everyone I take jovi out in public the older people say she's a boxer (she must be a pocket boxer if that's what she is) and when I bring Tali places they think she's a pit bull. Which she looks like it a little but come on!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
BULLDOGS ARE SMART BABIES, IF SOMEONE TOLD ME MY ELMO WAS STUPID, MY HUSBAND WOULD HAVE TO HOLD ME BACK FROM SMACKING THEM. I TELL ELMO IT IS TIME FOR HIS CLEANING, EYES, HIS CUTE BUTT, HIS WRINKLES. HE RUNS TO HIS CAGE AND WILL NOT COME OUT, SEE HE IS SMART, ELMO DOES NOT WANT HIS CLEANING.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
he has trained you very well! And, yes, they are VERY smart.... the difference is Bulldogs are deciding if what you are asking is worth what you are offering? It is contemplation, not stubbornness :D

You all know I love donkeys. Well they and EBD's are so similar-not physically, but certainly brainwise. Donkeys have a reputation of being stupid,just like "some" say about Bulldogs. Donkeys are extremely smart,need to think about what you are asking them to do,making sure that they are not going to get hurt.And it is always a good idea to make them think it is THEIR idea! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] her quote is the exact description of a donkey and a Bulldog! Just a little "tidbit" that you probably could care less about!:D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online