summer is here

TNNoles14

Dec 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I've been watching my man Maximus real closely because the rising temperature here in TN. Its pushing 90s. I make sure he does he bathroom duties and I rush him back inside and loves the cold floors to lay on. I was curious if I can take him to the river where the water is pretty cold along with my lab? or am I better off leaving home for sake of his health? I'll be making sure he's swimming most of the time. Thanks

IMG_0840.JPG

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I've been watching my man Maximus real closely because the rising temperature here in TN. Its pushing 90s. I make sure he does he bathroom duties and I rush him back inside and loves to cold floors to lay on. I was curious if I can take him to the river where the water is pretty cold along with my lab? or am I better off leaving home for sake of his health? I'll be making sure he's swimming most of the time. Thanks

View attachment 88035

What a cutie :)

I, personally would not take him. The risks are greater than the perks. Bullies don't do well with heat nor water. Especially if its a river that moves rapidly. They would need a lifejacket, and constant supervision. They are not agile like a lab who can swim, etc. They would do okay in a still/standing body of water, or on shore of a beach....but river, ehhhh....LOL I say better to be safe than sorry and let Maximus chill at home & snooze haha. :)

OP
T

TNNoles14

Dec 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thats all I needed to know. He will be staying at home! Thanks

What a cutie :)

I, personally would not take him. The risks are greater than the perks. Bullies don't do well with heat nor water. Especially if its a river that moves rapidly. They would need a lifejacket, and constant supervision. They are not agile like a lab who can swim, etc. They would do okay in a still/standing body or water, or on shore of a beach....but river, ehhhh....LOL I say better to be safe than sorry and let Maximus chill at home & snooze haha. :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thats all I needed to know. He will be staying at home! Thanks

Sure thing. I know its fun, but I don't think I would be able to enjoy myself bc I would have to be constantly watching him, etc. You know? I say you buy Maximus a nice kiddie pool and let him enjoy it in your backyard :) My Tyson loves it.

OP
T

TNNoles14

Dec 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have a little pond outside my house and he's does Kamikaze dives because he watches my lab dives and he's try to compete with him. But its your right. Its not worth risking his health.

Sure thing. I know its fun, but I don't think I would be able to enjoy myself bc I would have to be constantly watching him, etc. You know? I say you buy Maximus a nice kiddie pool and let him enjoy it in your backyard :) My Tyson loves it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I have a little pond outside my house and he's does Kamikaze dives because he watches my lab dives and he's try to compete with him. But its your right. Its not worth risking his health.

LOL Kamikaze dives. :haha: Poor baby, he prob thinks he can do everything his brother does, and doesn't understand he's short & tubby & would probably sink, or be swept away easily if it was rapid water, like a river. If you ever decide to try, just make sure he has a lifejacket on - and one that had a head float underneath. You know how heavy their big ol' heads are, lol and that you keep your eyes on him at all times.

Like this:
x-small-11-18-lbs-girth-15-19-.jpg

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Great question!! I used to take my bullies on our annual 4th of July trip to the river. But I found I was so busy and anxious keeping them cool, I was not enjoying myself. I constantly had them in the motorhome with the air on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would be leaving him home too... too many risks for the reward

I love that picture too... he is studdly

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm in TN as well, and I agree w/the gang… we LOVE to canoe, but we have never taken the bullies. I figured I would be a nervous wreck the entire time :(

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I don't want to derail the thread, but how sensitive are Bulldog puppies to heat? Our nearly-6 month old loves to be outside and is extremely active. She TEARS around the yard like a missile and loves to play fetch. She will pant like our non-bulldog, but otherwise shows no real negative signs. i don't want to expose her to too much heat, but her energy level is amazing and it would seem odd to discourage her activity. its getting warm and humid here in Ohio.

910C5707-3F3F-466E-9B84-21F4B0B889AB_zpsebkfr6zj.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13757]rayneman[/MENTION] - your baby girl is precious!
Over heating is in the top 3 causes of death in bullies. Because of their short faces it's very difficult for them to breathe compared to a lab or golden retriever type dog. It's imperative that you always supervise your baby while she is outside if she starts to pant make sure you cool her down with water or ice chips by mouth. Once a bulldog has begun to overheat from extreme heat their organs slowly start to shut down. I would limit her activity outside always have water nearby and definitely watch for any signs of overheating. They will start to pant extremely hard and probably even make noises that sounded like they are gagging or snoring if that makes sense. Another good indicator is the color of her gums always check and make sure they're a nice pink color not pale white or gray if that's the case you need to get her to urgent care right away. It's a very serious subject I know people who have personally lost Bulldogs because of it, so it's very near and dear to my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online