Sick bully, ideas needed

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
So Hercules had been doing great until about a day and a half ago, he had been eating well and his stool had been a little soft mostly we thought do to a parasite the vet said was common. He was on medication and has been eating the fromms pink puppy food. He has even gained 2.5 lbs in a little over a week but starting yesterday his stool was pretty much liquid. We took him to the vet this morning and they kind of bashed fromms as a good and then said that he had a Protozoa in his stool and put him on a different medication and a prescription food. This was a few hours ago and after eating his first meal of the new food he vommitted it all up and is now refusing to eat either the fromms of the prescription food.. I'm getting a little concerned. Any ideas?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is your baby any better --- if not get back to a different vet. Something is not right if your puppy is that sick

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all I don't trust ANY vet on food recommendations… I had one vet tell me to get Purina One :blink: Most vets do not know enough about dog foods to make a recommendation besides the ones that they are pushing from their clinics!!! That being said, the best place to look for dog food is Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor It's really based on what you are willing to spend, and most of the time it's trial and error. Some dogs do great on Fromm's but some do better on other foods.

Since your baby is sick I guess stick w/what the vet suggested or you could try a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken/sirloin. I would be a little wary since they can't seem to figure out why your baby still has soft stools, I think that Christine is right and you need a second opinion.

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Well he has been eating the prescription food and hasn't thrown any up in the last little bit and I've got him drinking lots of water. If I don't see a marked improvement in his stool within 24-48 hours I'll be going to another vet. Everyone seems to like fromms so that's what I'm sticking with

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Protozoa Wow those intestinal parasites are not fun. It could be three days or more. Hopefully, your vet prescribed an antibiotic (metronidazole) and perhaps an anti parasitic such as Fenbenzadol. You didn't say what the prescription food was, but an appetite stimulant food is often prescribed in the case of intestinal upset.

Did you happen to get the name of the protozoa? Was it Giardiasis?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would give him a bland diet too, and find a better vet. We give our pups FROMM Puppy Gold, and they have all done very well on it. I hope your baby gets well soon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Protozoa Wow those intestinal parasites are not fun. It could be three days or more. Hopefully, your vet prescribed an antibiotic (metronidazole) and perhaps an anti parasitic such as Fenbenzadol. You didn't say what the prescription food was, but an appetite stimulant food is often prescribed in the case of intestinal upset.

Did you happen to get the name of the protozoa? Was it Giardiasis?

If it is Giardiasis expect some serious vomiting and diarrhea… and it can last for awhile. One of our pups had it (we thought it was parvo) and he was sick for several days. We actually took him in daily to get IV fluids...

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Ya he did prescribe a antibiotic. And he seems to be feeling better today, I'm going to finish out the food and then transition him back to fromms.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, everyone has given you great advice already. I hope Hercules feels better soon, and gets back to himself. I hope the medication takes care of the parasites in his tummy, has the vet suggested probiotics to help with the gut flora, especially since he's on antibiotics? Just keep an eye on him and continue to give him lots of water to flush out the parasites. Please keep us posted on how he's doing, and if you don't see any improvement in a couple of days, I would take him to a different vet for a second opinion. Did the vet actually do a stool sample to identify the parasite? I wonder if any of the other puppies from his litter have the same thing? Can you ask the breeder, or do you know any of the other people who bought puppies?

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
I don't know anyone else who got one and haven't talked to the breeder about it yet. He seems to be feeling better today and is more active. He's drinking a good amount of water however hasn't eaten a ton of course I'm attributing that to an upset tummy. He has vomited once but it was very little. Really I think he's on his way to recovery. The only thing that has us concerned is he hasn't pooped in 12 hrs and has shown no desire too. He has peed numerous times but I don't know

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
When was the last he ate a significant amount? He won't poop if there's no food in his system. Don't worry. He will once he eats more.

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Well he pooped but it was watery... Hopefully the meds kick in soon

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online